Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 6:36:15 PM EDT
crime shows on TV showing Kids invovled with online Gaming suddenly shootign up their schools?

First was a CSI episode my wife was watching earlier this week (maybe last week), now it is some show called numbers she is watching right now, nevermind the antigun references they keep spouting, and their attitude of every firearm should be registered crap, but as far as I know no group of students playing online games have ever shot up a school BECAUSE they played games, or because they were teased for playing computer games, as far as I know it was because they were loners, or were otherwise socially stunted....
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#1]
*played poker online throughout highschool*

*never shot anyone*
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
*played poker online throughout highschool*

*never shot anyone*

same here
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I play a lot of  games(Counter Strike, Call of Duty, Battlefront, may different stragity games) I still do.  I have a gaming body count higher than a  all the wars America has been involved in.

I've wiped out entire civilazations and destoryed star systems in my rein of gaming terror.

Yet I have never killed anyone in RL nor am I volent.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#5]
It's because of all the team killing and hackers.

Proof... (oldie, but still one of my favs.)

pwned.nl/

(rated pg13 for bad language and animated violence )
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
played a shitton of counterstrike, medal of honor: allied assault, battlefield 1942, quake III arena, unreal tournament, probably a few others

NEVER SHOT ANYONE, ANYWHERE

do it for the children!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:28:18 AM EDT
[#7]
"If Pacman had affected us as kids we'd be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."

Seriously though, this video games inspire violence campaign is mainly spear headed by this guy:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_(attorney)

Jack Thompson, who is a complete nut job and gives the whole movement a black eye.

The truth is, violent video games and TV do spark some aggressive behaivor with kids. What it does not do is cause them to loose all reality and go on a killing spree.

An exception to the rule is a psycho path who prehaps gets engrossed in a game and then tries to act it out in real life ( a FEW cases). But these nut jobs probably would have done the same thing in the future with out this particular stimuli.

I look at it like this. up until around 100 years ago or so, our ancestors were slaughtering their own animals, killing and cleaning game, and watching public executions in the town square every Tuesday (and if you read some of the shit they did in England, like cook up a guys stomach in front of him while he was still alive) - and yet they were not all murdering psycopaths.

Life in general is violent. I think humans have a violent nature - its part of our survival instinct. It is only recently when we havent NEEDED to use it to survive (how often to you have to gut a bitch to get the ripest grapefruit?) But we still have that primal urge. Blowing shit up in games helps us work out our aggressions. I think in KIDS they have problems emotionally seperating life from the game at times. (and some adults). But this is a parents job to 1) make sure the game is appropriate for the age (one friend lets his 3 year old play doom3,wtf?) 2) that they play for an appropriate amount of time.

So just google around -  lots of articles on the matter. And most of it is media hype - with no substance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top