Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 5:11:34 PM EDT
How well does this stuff work?

I need to rebuild the transom on my boat and I don't want to spring for marine plywood since I have about 100 sheets of 1/2" plywood stacked up.

I was thinking of buying a quart, cutting the plywood to size, treating the wood, then glueing two sheets together.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#1]
won't work at all.  you need to use marine plywood.  the adhesive in regular plwood will delaminate regular plywood in no time at all.  and thompson's is a worthless product.  for a transom i would double up the marine plywood.  you need the strength.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#2]
My uncle worked as a chemist in the paint industtry for decades.  He says it's shit.  It's diluted wax and burns off at the first heat (hot sunny day).
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thomson's is worthless.  It has a slipery waxy oily residue that lasts until it is no longer effective (couple weeks). Gross...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, so what does a sheet of 3/4" marine plywood go for?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thomson's is worthless.  It has a slipery waxy oily residue that lasts until it is no longer effective (couple weeks). Gross...

+1 Thompson's is shit.

Use Penofin or something.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, Thompsons is wax and thinner, if you leave it in the cold for a while it seperates.

Plywood is another issue, if what you've got is good CDX  doug fir plywood it's usually resorcinol glue and it'll stay together, marine grade just has fewer voids. I've got a friend with a 15 Y/O commercial fishing boat built out of CDX and epoxy. If you're talking about a nice boat it's probably worthwhile to go ahead and buy marine grade though for resale if nothing else.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a 12' jonboat.  I'll be happy if I get 10 years out of my transom rebuild.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Oops...I thought this was an Aqua-Bump thread for the Thompson SMG and some kind of adapter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top