Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 5:07:55 PM EDT
I took out my dads Savage model 99 lever action, havent looked at it in over 10 yrs, nice setup, jeweled bolt, weaver flip away mounts, leupold 2-7X40 looks like, super clean, I also took out my brother and my old Interarms Mark X 22-250 with a bushnell banner 3-9, Then for the real kicker, I dug out my dads handloads, the boxes are dated from 1973. I TOLD you guys I dont shoot these guns very often !!!!
Im taking them both to the range to get them sighted.
I ll let you know how they work out.
Im hoping someday that my boy digs out my ARs and 10-22s and my LR-308 and stuff and remembers the good times.
I last remember shooting that savage at my dads place ( mine now ) up in the finger lakes of NY state, my neighbor was Art Flick, conservationist. Great guy, gone now. and the other half of my property in Bath is a campground.
Hoping to hand all this stuff down to my kids someday.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#1]
in case you are ever tempted, don't sell the Savage 99...  it'll haunt you the rest of your days. and don't  pass it down to your kids until they are established and stable so they don't sell it, either.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Dad got rid of his guns in the late 60's after retiring in California.  

Only had 4 (22 semi, SxS 12 Ga, 12 Ga pump and a 22 revolver) but I'd give just about anything to have them in my collection now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dad got rid of his guns in the late 60's after retiring in California.  

Only had 4 (22 semi, SxS 12 Ga, 12 Ga pump and a 22 revolver) but I'd give just about anything to have them in my collection now.

I got my Dad's Colt Match Target 22 pistol (great gun, btw), but my oldest brother is getting his mossberg 22 that my Dad bought as a kid for $10 or so 70 years ago (Dad is 83).

I did take Dad to the range in Ocala and shoot it with him, he had not shot it in 50 years before that day, it was a good day
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont think Id sell either of these rifles or my father in laws woodsman.
The savage was great for 30+ rounds till one round failed to eject, now remember this is 33 yr old ammo that my dad reloaded in 73 !!!! I didnt have a cleaning kit so I couldnt clear the spent round and had to stop sighting, that was the other problem, the Leupold 2-7 X 40 was a mutha to try to adjust, roughed up the screw slots cause I couldnt get them to turn, Im talking TIGHT !!! also they adjust opposite of what is on the arrows, to go left I had to adjust right and so forth. No clicks on the adjustments either, Ive got it pretty decent till the round jammed and halted progress. Anyone know if the scope will loosen up or would it still be warranteed ? Could I send it back for readjustment  to the factory ?/?
The interarms 22-250 was incredibly accurate and had some overlapping groups that were right on. No complaints with the 10X40 on that one at all.
So, I learned that ammo if properly stored lasts a looooooonnnnggggg time. Old guns are good guns, they just need to be taken out now and again. And I always need time at the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top