Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 4:34:35 PM EDT
I know this is probably a dupe but cant find anything with the search

my buddy lives in GA but has a few rifles back home in NY he wants to have shipped to himself. I know that I have read he does not need to go through an FFL and can ship it "to himself" with no problems.  I just cant find proof that its ok so I can show him. (he just wants to make sure he does not brake the law)

can someone provide me some sort of proof. I checked packing.org and see people talking about it but no one has backed it up with any type of documented law type of stuff

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#1]
never mind, he was able to speak with a famly member thats a LEO, she said that she would ship it for him and its OK.

thanks
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
LEO has exactly zero more rights when it comes to this. They follow the same rules.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I know....

it was a matter of him taking my word (from what I have read on the internet) or his aunts word thats a cop

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#4]
If you go the the BATF site and look in the FAQS, you find that it is perfectly fine to ship firearms to yourself cross country.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
LEO has exactly zero more rights when it comes to this. They follow the same rules.

ummm not completely true, there are certain exemptions,  of course they are for official purposes only (ie. as the department)
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:08:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you go the the BATF site and look in the FAQS, you find that it is perfectly fine to ship firearms to yourself cross country.

That's true, but it is not ok for someone else to ship your firearms to you directly.  You must do it yourself.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:23:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's true, but it is not ok for someone else to ship your firearms to you directly.  You must do it yourself.

That is correct and that's what I said.

From the BATF web site FAQS:

(B7) May a nonlicensee transport firearms for sporting or other lawful purposes? [Back]

Yes. Federal law provides a person, who is not prohibited by the GCA from receiving or transporting firearms, the right to transport a firearm under certain conditions, notwithstanding state or local law to the contrary. The firearms must be unloaded and in a locked trunk or, in a vehicle lacking a trunk, in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Also, the carrying and possession must be lawful at the place of origin and destination. [18 U. S. C. 926A, 27 CFR 178.38] 9

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service? [Back]

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

(B11) May a person who is relocating out-of-state move firearms with other household goods? [Back]

Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her state of residence. Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch, Washington, DC 20226, before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check state and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new state does not violate any state law or local ordinance. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 4), 27 CFR 178.28 and 178.31]

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:31:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top