Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 2:04:21 PM EDT
Okay, computer gurus, another question.

I have a 3 y/o dell 2.0ghz w/ 1 gb Ram.  I currently have no DVD burners, just one CD-ROM and one CD-Burner.

Can I buy 2 DVD Burners from a place like tigerdirect.com and put them in place of my existing drives.  I want to copy DVDs.  I also want to occasionally watch DVDs on the computer.

Or do I need special video cards and such?

Guidance appreicated!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy 'em, swap 'em and copy them movies! It's that easy.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
you can just replace the drives.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Hardware-wise, you should be fine with two DVD burners.

The burning software should also support two burners - hopefully.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Why do you want 2 DVD burners? I don't think you can do a direct copy from one to the other like you can with a CD can you?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why do you want 2 DVD burners? I don't think you can do a direct copy from one to the other like you can with a CD can you?

I didn't know that!  I don't know anything about it, but I know what I want to do.

Anybody else?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yes you can. You can put the source DVD in one and the target DVD in the other.

But both drives need not be burners, once can simply be a DVD drive. In fact you can do it with a single DVD R drive.

Your are gonna want a copy of DVD Shrink 3.2 and Nero. Most burners will come with a copy of Nero.

I've had the best luck with HP DVD burners by the way. Might also want to consider getting a dual layer and DL DVDs are now getting more affordable.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But both drives need not be burners, once can simply be a DVD drive. In fact you can do it with a single DVD R drive.

Your are gonna want a copy of DVD Shrink 3.2 and Nero. Most burners will come with a copy of Nero.

I've had the best luck with HP DVD burners by the way. Might also want to consider getting a dual layer and DL DVDs are now getting more affordable.

Uhh, hope those dvds don't have css encryption on it, cause that aint happining. There is no way you can decrypt the CSS encryption 'on the fly'.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhh, hope those dvds don't have css encryption on it, cause that aint happining. There is no way you can decrypt the CSS encryption 'on the fly'.

I do it with Shrink 3.2 all the time.

It reads from the source DVD, decrypts and copies to the computer drive, then burns to the target DVD drive.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#9]
make sure DMA is turned on your hardware under system settings
or else your drives wont go full speed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
make sure DMA is turned on your hardware under system settings
or else your drives wont go full speed.

Okay, thanks.  But what is that?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy 'em, swap 'em, burn 'em.

Just make sure you set the jumper right.  One master, one slave.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Buy 'em, swap 'em, burn 'em.

Good call on that.  Most people forget about that.  Probably should get a Dual Layer DVD Burner as well.  To play movies on your PC, you should have a somewhat decent card to view them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Okay now, I'm not sure what you mean.

I have looked into it further and found one DVD Burner and one DVD player.  Together, only $65!  Woohoo!

So which do I set up as the master and which the slave?  I thought I would simply put them in place of the two drives I already have in the computer.  As far as I know, each has it's own letter definition (?).   I thought the master/slave thing was only if you were trying to cram 2 devices (drives) into one port (?).  Again, I might not have a clue what I'm talking about here.  If I'm way off base, someone please explain.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know the technical aspects of the installation.  The instructions with the drives should show a picture of the pins on the back of the drive.  As far as I know, it doesn't matter which drive you designate as master and slave.

It just involves moving the jumper over to a different set of pins.

On my first drive install, I didn't know anything about that so I just popped the new drive in and couldn't even boot up.  Took some long distance tech support from a forum friend to figure out what I did wrong.

As for manufacturer suggestions, the Lite On I installed a few months ago seems to be quite good.  I think I paid around $75 for it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay now, I'm not sure what you mean.

I have looked into it further and found one DVD Burner and one DVD player.  Together, only $65!  Woohoo!

So which do I set up as the master and which the slave?  I thought I would simply put them in place of the two drives I already have in the computer.  As far as I know, each has it's own letter definition (?).   I thought the master/slave thing was only if you were trying to cram 2 devices (drives) into one port (?).  Again, I might not have a clue what I'm talking about here.  If I'm way off base, someone please explain.

Jumper pins on back. You actually are probably better off with the "cable select" option.

It will be covered in the installation and sounds harder than it is.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#16]
there are programs out there that can copy and break any encryption on any dvd.
lot of them are free and other way to get the non free ones free.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy 1 DVD DL burner.

You can not shrink and DeCSS on the fly. Won't happen!  Maybe when we have 6GHz Dual Core CPU's and 1600MHz FSB speeds you might be able to burn on the fly at 2x.

As is now a DVD is Processed to the harddrive and finally written to the burner.

The IDE cable for the burner needs to be an 80 conductor to allow full speed usage.

Most burning software will set the device to UDMA for you.

DO NOT PUT A BURNER ON THE SAME CABLE AS A ZIP DRIVE.

I could go on, but I might start having nightmares from my time working warranty techsupport for a major computer corporation. ( I now reverted to my true trade as a machinist, as my computer job was outsourced to a foreign country. . . )
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Okay now, WTF?

I got my burner from Tigerdirect.com  It doesn't do anything but play audio CD's.  Apparently I need "decoders?"

It came with no Software?  What do I need to play and burn DVD's?  Can anyone recommend something for me?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Okay now, WTF?

I got my burner from Tigerdirect.com  It doesn't do anything but play audio CD's.  Apparently I need "decoders?"

It came with no Software?  What do I need to play and burn DVD's?  Can anyone recommend something for me?

go on google and search for (for instance) WMV codecs.

I found a pack of codecs that'll play anything so far.

But  I can't remember the name.

Most should have an .avi a divX and a mpg(2, 3, 4) codec.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do it with Shrink 3.2 all the time.

It reads from the source DVD, decrypts and copies to the computer drive, then burns to the target DVD drive.

likewise

just one burner here

Pioneer DVR-A09XL

comes with ULEAD software (play, burn, backup, etc - Dual Layer and everything)
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Okay now, WTF?

You didn't get a very good deal.

The fact that it didn't come with shit like Nero means you are gonna have to pay for them and that won't be cheap.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Is there any way you can burn DVD's from just one DVD drive?

In other words, can the source DVD be copied to your hard drive, then can you put the target DVD back in the same drive to be copied?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Is there any way you can burn DVD's from just one DVD drive?

In other words, can the source DVD be copied to your hard drive, then can you put the target DVD back in the same drive to be copied?

Yes, that is how most people do it.

What a previous poster has said and I think some others misunderstood it, one can not decrypt CSS encryption on the fly (i.e. going from one drive to another directly)

DVD Shrink has to put the image on the hard drive first to decrypt it, and then Nero copies it from the hard drive to the DVD burner of your choice.  So when you are coping a movie using DVD shrink, it will put an image on the hard drive anyways, so one drive is all that is necessary.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#24]
DVD Shrink

This is a working link for DVD Shrink. If/when you get Nero it integrates with it very well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I just got this drive, and it is awesome.  It's pretty pricey, but it can burn DL discs at 10x speed, and it comes with excellent software....

Return the drive you got and get one that comes with software, it would be worth it.

www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827249003
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top