Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 11:50:29 AM EDT
So a friend of mine has a Benelli M2 tactical, he has a factory +4 Benelli extension on it and it holds 9 rounds with one in the chamber, is it legal to sell in this configuration. He added the extension before the ban but is it still legal to own/sell or does he need to put it back to stock with the facotry +2?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]
2nd page already
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#2]
why wouldn't it be?  you live in TX, not NY or commiefornia.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#3]
since  is a post 89 ( Benellis are imported remember ) gun  you can have either a pistol grip or a big magazine tube you cannot have both ( this is why benelli quit bringing in extension tubes )

if it just has the big tube( and sporter type stock) it is fine

if it has the pistol grip  stock and the big tube  it is not
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
oh s**t i forgot all about 922(r).... grr.... because of course everyone knows that imported guns are much more dangerous than domestically produced ones!

hope my post doesn't get him in trouble
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#5]
WTF???  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
You can put the pistol grip stock on with the standard mag-

or

You can put the extension on with the standard stock-
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:58:04 AM EDT
[#7]
It's got a pistol grip stock and the big tube, is it legal to own or does he need to mod it?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:47:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Benelli sold them with ext tubes for years, not recently however.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#9]
So as it sits now it is not legal for sale/trade?

...and all he wanted was to trade if for a nice AR
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So as it sits now it is not legal for sale/trade?

...and all he wanted was to trade if for a nice AR

Edit: linkage ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=177741

It isnt the gun you are talking about specifically but it is the same law.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:35:25 AM EDT
[#12]
So his has a pistol grip and an extension, is it legal, or does he need to change to the regular/non pistol grip stock?

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:39:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Can you put a domestically produced aftermarket stock on it?  I thought there was a difference as to where the parts were made, or am I confusing this with another stupid law?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:40:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So his has a pistol grip and an extension, is it legal, or does he need to change to the regular/non pistol grip stock?

www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/153/149/41361.jpg

He has to change it back.  Also he is missing the barrel clamps.  It obvious you have an extention because of that.  The factory ones will come with the clamps.  You can also buy the clamps.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:42:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Can you put a domestically produced aftermarket stock on it?  I thought there was a difference as to where the parts were made, or am I confusing this with another stupid law?

You still dont have enough 922r parts.

If I am not mistaken, all M2s were made after the ban.  M1s are preban.  Some M1s are post.  But all M2s are post ban.  None are preban.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:44:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

SpeedFeed does make a pistolgrip stock for it, looks just like the Benelli one but it's madein the US, wonder if that changes anything?

He wants to sell it so he can get a RRA Entry Tactical but wants to be sure that it's legal to sell/trade before he does anything.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:46:58 AM EDT
[#17]
http://www.speedfeedinc.com/products.html

0270 Benelli Super90 12 gauge (stock and recoil pad only)

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:51:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Presumably, this is a "legal" shotgun:

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976670998.htm

It's just about a Benelli.    ...Already has high-capacitio (no mag extension though) and a grippa sheeza pistola.  

Seller says the shotty is scarce.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:57:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It's just about a Benelli.    ...Already has high-capacitio (no mag extension though) and a grippa sheeza pistola.  

Well since that's an imported shotty that obviously holds more than 5 rounds and has a pistol grip and the ATF isn't knocking on his door then I guess my friend could sell his?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well since that's an imported shotty that obviously holds more than 5 rounds and has a pistol grip and the ATF isn't knocking on his door then I guess my friend could sell his?

HTG, I have no idea.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's possible he could have installed the correct number of domestically manufactured parts (although i'm not sure if they're even available for that shotgun).

keep in mind that you'll see a lot of stuff for sale that isn't legal.  922(r) is such a confusing law that most people who are selling guns don't understand it.  i have also yet to hear of anyone being prosecuted under it, because unlike the AWB or almost every other gun law, you can't tell if a gun is in violation of 922(r) just by looking at it or even by shooting it.   you would have to disassemble it and check where the parts were made.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I am not mistaken, all M2s were made after the ban.  M1s are preban.  Some M1s are post.  But all M2s are post ban.  None are preban.

A true preban ( pre 89 ) Benelli M1 Super 90 with the factory 4 shot extension & the factory pistol grip stock is LEGAL in that configuration correct ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A true preban ( pre 89 ) Benelli M1 Super 90 with the factory 4 shot extension & the factory pistol grip stock is LEGAL in that configuration correct ?

Correct. They all will be marked HK.  Not all HK marked M1s are preban however.  Those marked Benelli are post ban for sure.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct. They all will be marked HK.  Not all HK marked M1s are preban however.  Those marked Benelli are post ban for sure.

Thanks ARDOC

I just bought it ( used obviously ) a few months ago. It's the old school Benelli M1 Super 90 / H&K import marked and has no choke tubes etc. I just wanted to be certain it was in a legal configuration. I would post what I paid for it .... but doubtful most would believe me ( it's in 99.9% condition w/ original box papers - manual etc )
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is a list that should help with legal configurations.  Some would say it is an obsolete list but not for shotguns.

Benelli M1 Super 90 M1507xx, imported 12/01/92, pre-ban
M17142x, imported 1993, pre-ban
M1978xx, imported 08/94, pre-ban
M19833x, imported 09/19/94, post-ban*
M200050, imported 09/05/94, pre-ban*
M200100, imported 09/05/94, pre-ban*
M200111, imported 09/05/94, pre-ban*
M202200, imported 09/30/94, post-ban
M205200, imported 10/04/94, post-ban
M201xxx, imported 10/26/94, post-ban
M210025, imported 01/1995, post-ban
M215900, imported 03/1995, post-ban
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
why wouldn't it be?  you live in TX, not NY or commiefornia.

Pefectly legal in California.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:28:42 AM EDT
[#27]
If the AWB still controls what parts you can put on an imported shotgun--and that's a very big "if,"--18 USC 922(r) would only still only ban assembling it in a naughty configuration, not possessing ore selling one in a naughty configuration.

And I say that's a big "if" because what makes a shotgun non-importable under 18 USC 925 is that it's not "generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes."  If it fails to meet the "sporting purposes" test for importability under sec. 925, and if it has a bore over half an inch, it would be a weapon "other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes," which would make it a destructive device under 18 USC 921(a)(4)(B), and therefore regulated under the NFA.  

And if it has a bore over half an inch, it would be a destructive device whether imported or domestically produced, so adding compliance parts wouldn't make any difference.  If adding a magazine extension anda pistol grip (or any other two evil features) to a Benelli would make it non-sporting, it should have the same effect on any domestically produced shotgun.  But it doesn't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top