Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/7/2006 11:21:16 AM EDT
SO.!.!.!.!.!.  I'm talking to new girl and she is from...gulp....New York and we are always playfully arguing on who is the better (or worse) drivers, N.Y. or N.J.  What has been your experience.

p.s.

I think anyone with N.Y. plates is functionally retarded....JK.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Massholes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#2]
FLORIDIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+9bar
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Up yours my good man! The bad Floridian drivers are NJ and NY snowbirds that permanently migrated.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Definitely Jersey.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Ohio
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Ohio and Massachusets.

Oh, and old people with Florida plates.

And Ontario...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#8]
South Korea
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#9]
You should see how the MD dirvers act like here in northern VA. My vote is MD.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#10]
A world traveler would put NJ drivers in the same class as Korean drivers.  THE WORST.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#11]
downstate NY and NJ are one and the same.   please don't lump us upstaters in with the NYC idiots.  we will be a red state once we secede from NYC and long island!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Missouri!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA:  Ohio and Pennsylvania only suck so bad because of Ohio Highway Patrol and Pennsylvania State Police

When I lived in IN, you could always count on a Ohio Highway State Patrol on I-70 E being 50 feet on his side of the state line running radar into IN
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
A world traveler would put NJ drivers in the same class as Korean drivers.  THE WORST.

You've got first and second place sewn up by combining these 2 groups.

OF course IF AZ had more than 3 guys on a road at the same time...

Pete

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#15]
New Jersey.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#16]
new jersey, drove through there 2 times so far.

Not only are new jerseys drivers horrible ( like 4x worse than floridians)

but the highway system in that state is horrible, some guy with a rubix cube must have designed that damn thing, makes 0 sense :)
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
downstate NY and NJ are one and the same.   please don't lump us upstaters in with the NYC idiots.  we will be a red state once we secede from NYC and long island!

Oh God I hope so!!!  N.Y. State is beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Atlanta's drivers by far
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
new jersey, drove through there 2 times so far.

Not only are new jerseys drivers horrible ( like 4x worse than floridians)

but the highway system in that state is horrible, some guy with a rubix cube must have designed that damn thing, makes 0 sense :)

I can't deny that.  This state does blow bat cock
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#21]
The kamikazes who survived WWII are driving up and down  the New Jersey Turnpike.  They do stupid stuff.

To be fair, NY drivers are pretty rude.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Being in the military, and having been stationed all over this great country, and having worked with folks from still more places, this subject has come up more than once.  While I was stationed at Ft Jackson, SC, the consensus was the South Carolina drivers, especially those in Columbia, were the worst in the country.

The lone dissenter was one LT from Massachussetts, who held out that drivers from his home state were the worst.

SC is the only place where I've ever seen people make left turns from the right turn lane, and vice versa.  And most people either drive like their auditioning for NASCAR, or that their cars will explode if the get within 10 mph of the speed limit.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#23]
It depends where in NY someone is from...people who live and work in NYC typically can't drive worth a crap because they often take public transportation...a lot of them don't own a car and rent one when they need to get out of the city. And if they do own a vehicle and often drive in the city, they learn how to drive like the cabbies, who are completely insane. I have a friend who lives in NYC, and I refuse to ride in a vehicle if he's driving. Have to say though, the absolute worst drivers overall that I've seen were around the Chicago suburbs. Nuts.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Masshole are the worst, followed by NJ.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And most of them are ,,,,,,,,,,,,NY'ers or NJ transplants

As a NJ transplant to Atlanta.... You aren't getting away with that

I travel all over the southeast, as do many of my co-workers.  The general consensus is that Florida drivers are the worst.  This is coming from people that have lived in ATL all their lives and others that have come from all over the country.  This list includes former Floridians.  

Personally I have driven the whole state of Florida several times.  The amount that I see people being "out of it", not signalling, not maintaining speed, going slow in the left lane and fast in the right, cutting through rest areas to get ahead, tailgating, slamming on brakes when there is NO ONE around, being generally rude, etc.... is FAR in excess of what I even see in Atlanta.

My wife and I recently spent 9 days in Florida, we drove from ATL to Miami then back to Orlando (Lake Mary actually) and did a pretty good amount of driving around.  We have also spent weeks in the Destin area.  I have been driving in FL for 6 years for work.

Even my wife has gotten to the point of noticing that when someone pulls an idiot move, there is a HIGH probability of a Florida tag on the back of the car.  Even in the Atlanta area, we both try to avoid FL tagged cars.  I am not talking about rentals either, most of the time the car is obviously not a rental.

Also it is not old people.  Yes the old folks drive like shit, but usually they do it slow and over to the right.  The people I notice are ranging from teens to 40's.
I am not sure what it is, but a large proportion of FL drivers act like they are the only people on the road.

Here in Atlanta, people do drive very fast.  Whoopty-do.  Get in the right lane if you don't like it.  However they are GENERALLY more predictable then FL drivers.  Traffic does suck balls here, 285 is the doughnut from hell.  There is a very fair share of rude ass, prick drivers.  BUT they do it KNOWING they are being rude ass, prick drivers.  
Atlanta is easily a destination for a lot of NY/NJ transplants.  The number of northerners here is extraordinarily large, something on the order of OVER 50% of the Metro ATL is NOT native and that is MORE then 2 million people.  

All that being said the quality of drivers EVERYWHERE is dropping.  Everyday , no matter where I am, I see more and more people doing stupid shit, like they are teh only important people on the road, damn everyone else.

My Dad was right, insurance companies should be responsible for driver training.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Missouri. It is the "Show me how to fucking drive" state. St. louis is by far the worst place I have seen for idiot drivers. Iowa or Illinois would be a close second though,
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#27]
NJ and Southern NY as far as I'm concerned are one and the same! Throw in MA (Boston) with them. But to tell the truth the drivers in CT where I live are pretty F**KEDUP!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Massholes.

Boston to be precise followed by NJ and Iowa(IdiotOnWheelsAhead)
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#29]
+1 Floridians

The concept of lanes eludes them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I lived in Florida for 5 years and I saw it all.  Upstate NY is a safe haven in comparison.  Floridians don't even need auto insurance or vehicle safety inspections.  In the defense of FL though, we sent all our bad drivers down there...

Next up is Mass., on a trip to Boston I was nearly killed by an oblivious driver running me off the road more often than in a whole year just driving around my hometown.  I think Massachusetts Sox fans see NY plates and want them dead, even if we don't like the Yankees or baseball in general.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
From Professional Observation:

- NYC Taxi Cabs with "foreign" drivers
- NY Hasidic Jews in mini-vans
- NY Female Asians in anything on wheels.

How fuggin true on the Asian women thing!!  N.Y. or N.J. it does'nt matter
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

NJ is the worst We have the Indians
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#34]
NYC drivers are the best in the world.

They easily handle traffic situations that snarl other places entirely

6 lanes going down to 2 in 10 yards? No problem. Happens at the several entrances to the Lincoln Tunnel every day and it moves right along

They'd have choppers overhead in Dallas.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Texan soccer moms in freaking enormous SUVs.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Atlanta's drivers by far

Atlanta is a breeze compared to Boston, Boston is every man for himself.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Ohio? WTF? As a former Californian, I can state with 100% certainty that the drivers here are NOT the worst by a long shot. Jesus, they do the speed limit for the most part, use turn signals, follow most traffic laws, etc. From my prespective, they're a very polite bunch.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Marylanders...no question.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I have been in rush hour traffic in Atlanta, Nashville, Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas, Cleveland,  Dayton, Charleston, Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, St. Louis, Vancouver, and numerous smaller cities and towns, as well as have been cross country a few times.  

There is not a single place in the states that has worse drivers than Anchorage, AK that I have ever been to......but I ain't driven in NY or NJ yet.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Ohio? WTF? As a former Californian, I can state with 100% certainty that the drivers here are NOT the worst by a long shot. Jesus, they do the speed limit for the most part, use turn signals, follow most traffic laws, etc. From my prespective, they're a very polite bunch.

Exactly. They can't drive.

Get out of my way slow pokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Hasidum with Asian women's head in his lap beats Abu in the taxi anyday.

Pete
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Ohio traffic is pretty mild stuff.  Heading back there to torture myself with the inlaws here in a couple days.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#43]
The Chinese in San Francisco.
The Indians in Silicon Valley.

Both groups suck BIG TIME.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
The Chinese in San Francisco.
The Indians in Silicon Valley.

Both groups suck BIG TIME.

Can't forget OLD PEOPLE ...Them f'ing motorhomes in the summertime here suck ass.  I hate 'em.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Yeah, many NJ drivers suck, but I have seen worse from many other states who pass thru NJ. NJ has a" keep right except to pass " law for hi-ways like RT.295 and the Turnpike. Guess who the left lane dicks are - NY and Delaware drivers. Bad drivers in all states

We do have the shittiest roads in the USA.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
SO.!.!.!.!.!.  I'm talking to new girl and she is from...gulp....New York and we are always playfully arguing on who is the better (or worse) drivers, N.Y. or N.J.  What has been your experience.

p.s.

I think anyone with N.Y. plates is functionally retarded....JK.

functionally retarded is a understatement.  They are the worst drivers in the world.  WTF is with the horn thing.  When I worked in SI that shit would drive me crazy. Every 1/2 second someone is blowing their horn for something.  jersey has some of the best drivers except old people.  They suck.  

ADD A POLL
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

As a life long inmate of Nazi Jersey living in close proximity to the New York border, I can state unequivocally that both are abysmal.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Massachusetts drivers.

End of discussion.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#50]
NATIVE FLORIDIANS!

Drivers from NY and NJ atleast have a system of signals with lights and gestures to help keep things going and secure any overly-defensive people who would normally slow things down, hence blinking of headlights, PROPER hand signals, using blinkers to change lanes and to turn!

Native Floridians drive like they are playing GTA.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top