Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 10:33:52 AM EDT
I just found a colony of termites 5 feet away from my house feeding the roots of an old tree stump.  When I moved in the house 4 years ago there was some termite damage but no active termites in the house.  The house is 100 year old solid brick so the walls are safe they were eating the floor joists.  The seller didn't disclose any termite damage or any knowledge of termites so I had them pay for a termite treatment, that ran $1,000.  Now that I know they are near the house what's the cheapest way to get rid of them without calling the "professionals" and paying them $1,000 just to have some high school kid come out spray some chemicals around my place?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Not an expert, but I would bet that if they are that close to the house, you most likely have them in the house to. I would have your house checked as a precaution. No idea on how to kill them unless killing them with fire is an option.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#2]
+
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Kerosene solution containing 5% DDT
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is a link for you.  termites

From experience in Fla and PA, these suckers are a real pita.  Since they outlawed chlordane, it has been a challenge to keep them out.  I watched exterminators chase them all over the building I worked at.  They'd treat the place and they'd show up somewhere else. I got bs'ing with one guy and he told me he was in a place that was all masonary, steel studs etc. and the suckers were eating the paper on the drywall.

Maybe the bait traps around the stump would kill them off, but you don't want to drive them back to the house.  Maybe the outfit that treated the house can give the place a 'booster shot' for a reasonable price.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The one good thing about my house in this case is the exterior walls are solid brick with 2 inches of plaster on top.  So the little buggers can't even eat the paper off the drywall.  I do have one area that is an addition, I will need to check that.

I'm not opposed to fire but my neighbors might complain.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#6]
IBTNEFOITOWTBSC

In before the "Nuke 'em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" crowd.  

Not having leaves piled up or other attractive habitats around the perimeter of the house is good.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
They are very much like ants in that they fan out and randomly explore.  If you had an ant colony 5 feet from your house, you know ants would wander inside.   Can guarantee the termites are aware of your home.

I put those  commecially available termite stakes around my house every season, and poison right around the foundation, just to make my house less interesting to them.

If I was you, I'd probe the sills of your house near the nest, jamming a long nail in, to see if the sill gives way.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quickly, start beating off on it and don't stop 'till November!

THERE'S NO TIME MAN, GO NOW!!!

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#9]
buy good insurance and burn the house down, and rebuild, then repeat until termite problem stops
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Kill the shit out of it with fire, NOW, not later.  Call a professional exterminator for your home and lawn, NOW, not later.  And in the future, beneficial nematodes twice a year.  They will kill any insect with any part of its life cycle underground.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#12]
$1,000 for termite treatments???!!  Why did I bother wasting my time going to college?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#13]
chickens
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#14]
what he said chickens.  There won't be a bug within 100 feet of the housel.  Anyway a guy from france told me what they did was to buy lots of bleach and pure it around the house.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Chickens will only get the ones that come to the surface.  Termites can tunnel very deep.  I've heard they can go 12' deep.  Go to your local Farmers Co-Op.  They will have some concentrated Termite and Carpenter Ant poison.  I sprayed 9 gallons around and under my house last week.  Do this twice per year for about $45.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Sorry, I need to add to the post count.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Insects are going to go where there is food available for them.  You need to get the stump pulled or ground up.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top