Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 9:24:00 AM EDT
I'm pretty sure that "formal" means wearing a tux, but does "semi-formal" mean I have to wear a suit? I assume we're talking about a coat and tie, but could I just get away with an oxford shirt, khakis, tie and blazer instead of a full-on suit with matching trousers and jacket? The occasion is a high school reunion, by the way.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Jeans and a T-shirt, but put a bow tie on your wang.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Jeans and a T-shirt, but put a bow tie on your wang.

That's kind of what I had in mind, but for a second there I thought that might be pushing it!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Suit and tie for men
cocktail dress for women.

The occasion is a high school reunion, by the way.

Hmm..is it realy worth it to get dressed up and go see people you haven't seen in however many years and  have no interest in seeing ( after all, if you wanted to see each other, you'd have stayed in touch)?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Flip flops and spandex.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that "formal" means wearing a tux, but does "semi-formal" mean I have to wear a suit? I assume we're talking about a coat and tie, but could I just get away with an oxford shirt, khakis, tie and blazer instead of a full-on suit with matching trousers and jacket? The occasion is a high school reunion, by the way.

High school reunion, eh? Basically, they don't want people to show up as complete slobs. Yes, you could wear what you just described and it would be acceptable as semi-formal.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Semi-formal HS reunion?

Not at my school. More like jeans & a t-shirt and a couple of 12 packs.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Black Tie - Tux / bow tie

Semi-Formal - Ranges from suit / tie to just a jacket.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#10]
IMO semi-formal always means a suit (for men).

Sportscoat and slacks = business casual, not semi-formal.

Again, my opinion only.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#11]
It could be suit and tie or it could be Black Tie.

Formal actually refers to White Tie (a tailcoat, white pique-front vest, shirt, and tie, trousers with two satin stripes on each leg rather than one), but this is so rare (I believe about 19 events in the US each year with a few non-repeating ones; it's used for the higher-class Mardi Gras balls, debutante balls, premier nights at high-class opera houses, etc.) that usually Formal tends to refer to Black Tie.

Khakis, tie, and blazer usually would be Business Casual.

Ask for clarification, but if you'd rather assume, go with a conservative suit (grey, black, or navy, no patterns besides faint pinstripes), a solid white shirt, and a solid or Repp stripe tie. All your leather should match in color, as should all your metal, but the metal is more optional these days. With a black suit, only wear black leather; with navy, black, brown, or reddish (I forget the color); and with grey, black or brown. Black would be preferred for a semi-formal occasion. As to socks, they match the color of your trousers. Do NOT wear white socks or any manner of athletic socks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Formal actually refers to White Tie (a tailcoat, white pique-front vest, shirt, and tie, trousers with two satin stripes on each leg rather than one), but this is so rare (I believe about 19 events in the US each year with a few non-repeating ones; it's used for the higher-class Mardi Gras balls, debutante balls, premier nights at high-class opera houses, etc.) that usually Formal tends to refer to Black Tie.

Khakis, tie, and blazer usually would be Business Casual..

Bingo.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#13]
These guys have it right

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#14]
One of those t-shirts that make it look like you are wearing a tux.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Khakis, tie, and blazer usually would be Business Casual.

Ask for clarification, but if you'd rather assume, go with a conservative suit (grey, black, or navy, no patterns besides faint pinstripes), a solid white shirt, and a solid or Repp stripe tie. All your leather should match in color, as should all your metal, but the metal is more optional these days. With a black suit, only wear black leather; with navy, black, brown, or reddish (I forget the color); and with grey, black or brown. Black would be preferred for a semi-formal occasion. As to socks, they match the color of your trousers. Do NOT wear white socks or any manner of athletic socks.

+1 but sometimes I'd wear white socks just to mess with people.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#16]
A suit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top