Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/7/2006 7:24:00 AM EDT
The regular roadway I take to work is under construction the detour passes, of course, through a residential area.  Well, I'm following traffic, trying to get past the construction and back to the regular roadway, when I see police lights behind me.

I pull over to let the officer pass, but he pulls behind me.  I honestly have no idea why at this point.  The officer comes up to my window and tells me that apparently I didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign a little ways back.  I can't even remember what kind of stop I'd made.  He asks for license, registration, etc., and goes back to his car.  A couple minutes later he returns and gives me a ticket, along with the option of going to traffic school since I have a clean record.

So now I can either pay an $85 ticket or go to $95 traffic school.  I really don't need this right now.

I can report that the policeman was professional and polite.  It is possible that I really didn't stop all the way (I don't remember and have no way of going back to verify).  It's frustrating that, given a choice, I wouldn't have even been on that road with the stop sign.  Starting the day with an expensive ticket just took all the wind out of me.  Now I have to call my wife and let her know about this unexpected expense.

I hope the day started better for the rest of you.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:25:22 AM EDT
[#1]
How's Fido?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#2]
He just saved alot of peoples' lives!

If you're wrong, oh well. Pay the ticket or pay an attorney.

ETA: I see this turning into a cop bashing fest very quickly...

ETAA: The cops GIVE you the option of taking traffic school in UT? wtf?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#3]
That means that people using the detour are running the stop sign right & left. You can usually bet that any officer who isn't in a car marked "traffic enforcement" (and many who are) hates doing traffic work. If it's any consolation, he's probably griping about spending the morning writing tickets, too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go to traffic school.

And watch those construction zones. The Fed .gov is paying the overtime to have LEO's working construction zones.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#5]
In Ohio, going to traffic school removes the points otherwise allocated to your total, but it does not remove it from your record. In other words, your insurance company can still adjust your premiums accordingly.

If this is the case in Utah, I'd just as soon pay the ticket.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That means that people using the detour are running the stop sign right & left. You can usually bet that any officer who isn't in a car marked "traffic enforcement" (and many who are) hates doing traffic work. If it's any consolation, he's probably griping about spending the morning writing tickets, too.

Big +1.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to hear you ate a ticket.

How are you anyway?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been issued quite a few speeding tickets but have a spotless driving record. It's not that hard to get them dumped.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have been issued quite a few speeding tickets but have a spotless driving record. It's not that hard to get them dumped.

Based on my limited driving experience in KY (following a native on a ~100 mile trip), driving less than 90 mph is likely to get you pulled over, checked for use of depressants, and lectured about clogging the roadways.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Lemme guess It's the detour in place because of 1600N being blocked from the freeway to state street. Or is it 800E blocked from 1600 up the hill?  At least that's the annoyance I have to deal with on the way to work.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Based on my limited driving experience in KY (following a native on a ~100 mile trip), driving less than 90 mph is likely to get you pulled over, checked for use of depressants, and lectured about clogging the roadways.

Coming from a statewide speed trap like Florida, I can see how it would seem that way to you. Where was your trip through KY.

The last few tickets I've had have been 69 in a 55, 80 in a 65, 72 in a 55, and 83 in a 65.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Although $85 is a lot of money, its not so bad

We had a coach on one of our trips driving back to the hotel (some of teh coaches choose to drive themselves on trips and not ride the bus with the kids)
He drives past the hotel and realizes he missed the turn.  This hotel was on a dead 2 lane road in the middle of no where Alaska, so he pulls a U Turn.  Just so happens a City Cop crest the hill a mile away and sees him making the turn.  Ticket for illegal UTURN - in excess of $350.  Needless to say, that was a very expensive trip
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll probably do traffic school/class.  According to the officer, if I take the class, they'll effectively tear up the ticket and it won't go on my record nor go to my insurance.

I want to stress that the officer seemed like a nice guy and didn't come accross as having any negative attitude.  The detour routes traffic right next to a school so looking back I'm not surprised that the city would want a police officer there.

I'm just frustrated with the situation, not the person.

Normally, with construction on this major road, I'd take another exit off the freeway for an alternate route.  Unfortunately, the alternate route is also under construction, and no matter which way I go, I have to take a detour through residential neighborhoods.  Really poor roadwork planning if you ask me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:49:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The regular roadway I take to work is under construction the detour passes, of course, through a residential area.  Well, I'm following traffic, trying to get past the construction and back to the regular roadway, when I see police lights behind me.

I pull over to let the officer pass, but he pulls behind me.  I honestly have no idea why at this point.  The officer comes up to my window and tells me that apparently I didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign a little ways back.  I can't even remember what kind of stop I'd made.  He asks for license, registration, etc., and goes back to his car.  A couple minutes later he returns and gives me a ticket, along with the option of going to traffic school since I have a clean record.

So now I can either pay an $85 ticket or go to $95 traffic school.  I really don't need this right now.

I can report that the policeman was professional and polite.  It is possible that I really didn't stop all the way (I don't remember and have no way of going back to verify).  It's frustrating that, given a choice, I wouldn't have even been on that road with the stop sign.  Starting the day with an expensive ticket just took all the wind out of me.  Now I have to call my wife and let her know about this unexpected expense.

In many states, It's not either/or.  If you opt for traffic school, you still have to pay the fine.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Lemme guess It's the detour in place because of 1600N being blocked from the freeway to state street. Or is it 800E blocked from 1600 up the hill?  At least that's the annoyance I have to deal with on the way to work.

Bingo!

I was taking the 1600 North exit.  800 North to 800 East is the alternate.  Both are under construction.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Coming from a statewide speed trap like Florida, I can see how it would seem that way to you. Where was your trip through KY.

The last few tickets I've had have been 69 in a 55, 80 in a 65, 72 in a 55, and 83 in a 65.

I don't remember the name of the road, but it was an absolutely beautiful state road - a divided highway through the mountains between, IIRC, Hazard and Knoxville. Probably one of the best roads I've ever driven on.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

We had a coach on one of our trips driving back to the hotel (some of teh coaches choose to drive themselves on trips and not ride the bus with the kids)
He drives past the hotel and realizes he missed the turn.  This hotel was on a dead 2 lane road in the middle of no where Alaska, so he pulls a U Turn.  Just so happens a City Cop crest the hill a mile away and sees him making the turn.  Ticket for illegal UTURN - in excess of $350.  Needless to say, that was a very expensive trip

What a fucking ASSHOLE of a cop
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

In many states, It's not either/or.  If you opt for traffic school, you still have to pay the fine.

If you look at the ticket verses traffic school fees, you'll note that the city has set it up so that either way they get the money.  The class is really only about $60, but there is another $35 tacked on for some kind of "court" fee.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#19]

let me apologize, your karma must have been adrift from somewhere over here in AL

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=451679
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I bet the next time you will know for certain that you came to a full and complete stop, won't you?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Go to court.  Tell them you are sorry, you want to pay, but need a price break.  They will drop the ticket to about $40 and reduce the point.  I have done it and it work.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If the traffic school keeps the ticket off your driving record and your insurance company will never find out and raise your rates, traffic school is the cheaper option in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#23]
That’s the thing about most traffic tickets. They aren’t personal, they don’t mean you did anything wrong, they are just a tax. Politicians need hookers and blow too, and they gotta pay for it somehow. So they turn the police into a tax collection agency.

I’m sure the police, or at least the officers with any sense, know this. They probably hate being turned into tax collectors. After all, a tax collector has historically been the absolute lowest rung on the social scale, beneath even prostitutes. And using the police this way really kills any good will they build up with the public. Politicians don’t care though, they need the money.

My advice is to pay the fool thing and just go on with your life. If you are unlucky enough to get taxed a second time you probably should just take the classes.

BTW, for the police officers who don’t know, here’s how to tell the difference between a legitimate traffic ticket and taxing someone.

Imagine you are headed back to the station after your shift, you’re running a bit behind and might be late getting home. Any ticket quota you have has been filled for the month. You see someone commit a traffic violation…

If it’s serious enough that you would turn on the lights and go get the guy it’s legitimate. If not, then it’s probably not legitimate.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Fight it in court. If the officer doesnt show up. It's dismissed. If he does, it still could get dismissed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That’s the thing about most traffic tickets. They aren’t personal, they don’t mean you did anything wrong, they are just a tax. Politicians need hookers and blow too, and they gotta pay for it somehow. So they turn the police into a tax collection agency.

I’m sure the police, or at least the officers with any sense, know this. They probably hate being turned into tax collectors. After all, a tax collector has historically been the absolute lowest rung on the social scale, beneath even prostitutes. And using the police this way really kills any good will they build up with the public. Politicians don’t care though, they need the money.

My advice is to pay the fool thing and just go on with your life. If you are unlucky enough to get taxed a second time you probably should just take the classes.

BTW, for the police officers who don’t know, here’s how to tell the difference between a legitimate traffic ticket and taxing someone.

Imagine you are headed back to the station after your shift, you’re running a bit behind and might be late getting home. Any ticket quota you have has been filled for the month. You see someone commit a traffic violation…

If it’s serious enough that you would turn on the lights and go get the guy it’s legitimate. If not, then it’s probably not legitimate.

Whatever.

ETA: Link to how fine money from a citation is distributed. Just an example.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Stop means stop = no tick-ee.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#27]
genius!

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'd go to traffic school.

And watch those construction zones. The Fed .gov is paying the overtime to have LEO's working construction zones.

and Massafucksetts is abusing it mightily.... 20+ miles of I95 north of boston signed as a construction zone 45 mph.... 6 months after the last construction was done....
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#29]
my suggestion is just to pay the $95 to go to traffic school. With a moving violation, your insurance is probably going to go up a lot more than the $10 difference between the ticket and traffic school.

ETA: in CA, going to traffic school removes the ticket from your record. The insurance co will never know.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
In Ohio, going to traffic school removes the points otherwise allocated to your total, but it does not remove it from your record. In other words, your insurance company can still adjust your premiums accordingly.

If this is the case in Utah, I'd just as soon pay the ticket.

IN Texas, traffic school will also not remove the violation from your record, but Deferred adjudication will. Here you can only do it once every 3 years, and you have a 90 day probationary period where you can have no violations or you can lose your license, but it's worth it to me to have it truly expunged from my record locally. With Deferred Adjudication, it never goes to the State record.

It also costs more, because you have to pay the ticket, and also pay a fee for the DA, but it means the citation will never show up on your driving record.

You usually have to ask to do it, most ticket window clerks won't tell you it's an option, but I have never had a judge refuse to let me do it.

I'll do DA every time. But then I don't get a lot of tickets.

I would recommend asking the them if they will allow you to do this.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Actually sounds to me like he may have gotten the wrong vehicle.  Was there another one near you that looked like your's?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Well, I got off work this morning at 07:30 and had a fresh, hot, homemade Cinnamon roll with a glass of cold milk.

So yeah, my day started of great. About the same time yours started off so shitty.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#33]
That's the guys cherry patch... cops usually setup a cherry patch at construction detours because they can dole out traffic tickets in a relatively short time and get back to what they want prefer to do. Regardless of what you are told, patrol cops do have ticket quotas, unwritten, but do.  Their performance evaluations will suffer if they do not write an acceptable amount of tickets.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
my suggestion is just to pay the $95 to go to traffic school. With a moving violation, your insurance is probably going to go up a lot more than the $10 difference between the ticket and traffic school.

ETA: in CA, going to traffic school removes the ticket from your record. The insurance co will never know.

no longer true from quite a few years ago... Since in CA, you still have to pay the fine, your insurance will see the fine being paid.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
 Starting the day with an expensive ticket just took all the wind out of me.  Now I have to call my wife and let her know about this unexpected expense.

you call that an expensive ticket? LMAO dude my last ticket was 388 bucks! I'd kill for an 85 buck ticket around here thats considered a parking ticket.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Actually sounds to me like he may have gotten the wrong vehicle.  Was there another one near you that looked like your's?

Another 1992 Blue Geo Metro?  Possibly.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
That's the guys cherry patch... cops usually setup a cherry patch at construction detours because they can dole out traffic tickets in a relatively short time and get back to what they want prefer to do. Regardless of what you are told, patrol cops do have ticket quotas, unwritten, but do.  Their performance evaluations will suffer if they do not write an acceptable amount of tickets.

Actually, some local police departments, like Provo, openly tell the world that they have ticket quotas.  Provo claims that it's quota system reduces traffic violations.

I don't know if Orem has quotas, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever.

that's in alabama.  doesn't mean it applies everywhere else.  there are towns that get 75%+ of their city budget from traffic tickets elsewhere in the country.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a fucking ASSHOLE of a cop

Ohh didums have a bad day today?  Does your Momma know you are using that kind of language on her computer?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:08:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever.

that's in alabama.  doesn't mean it applies everywhere else.  there are towns that get 75%+ of their city budget from traffic tickets elsewhere in the country.

I agree some places do use the police as revenue.

The poster I quoted is from AL and I provided the breakdown as an example.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Aw hell, don't let it ruin your day - it's just a ticket, dude.  It happens from time to time.  

Not that I don't bitch about tempests in a teapot on Arfcom, but I'd hate to see it ruin your weekend.

Skip a meal out with the girlfriend and pay the ticket.  It's only 85 bucks.  I took my dog to the vet yesterday and it was $220, and I just stroked a check for $2650 for my wife's hospital bill.  Shit happens.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Highway meter maids strike again.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Every time I post this I take heat from some of the sanctimonious assholes here but here goes anyway.

The location of the stop sign should be on the ticket, you'll know which one it is after you retrace your route.
Now that you have the location of the stop sign you're almost home free (almost)

Most states have a state body that governs traffic signs, lights and other related things.
In this agency (state DOT) there are rules,laws governing the traffic signs.
They state the placement and height of those signs.
If like New Jersey they have a height requirement the sign MUST meet those requirements or it invalidates the sign.

I have used this 3 times, once for myself and two more to help out friends.

I brought a copy of the state law and a picture of me standing next to the sign to prove the sign did not meet the state law regarding height, in NJ the law requires the signs to be at 7 feet from the base near the ground to the bottom of where the sign begins.

The Judge wasn't crazy about it but he had no choice, he found me not guilty.
I was found not guilty because we had a trial because the prosecutor laughed at me when I asked him before court for a dismissal based on what I showed him.
He wasn't laughing after I beat his ass in court.

You'll find a great many states have these regulations because of the small town speed traps that use to post signs at waist level and other tricky tactics.
They had to adopt these regs because of the abuse.

All states don't specify a height but a lot do.
In jersey if the local traffic DOT compliance officer forgets to register a traffic light it also is null and void he eyes of the law.

When they erect a new traffic light they have to publish it's location and activation date to inform the public, if they don't do this they can't register the light.
When a light or sign is not in compliance it is as if does not exist in the eyes of the law.

Flame suit on
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#45]
The cops in my town like to set up traps near the stop signs in my neighborhood.

I was stopped twice for doing "rolling stops". Each time, I was the only car moving on the road!!  Who am I going to hit?

Damn revenue collectors!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Every time I post this I take heat from some of the sanctimonious assholes here but here goes anyway.

The location of the stop sign should be on the ticket, you'll know which one it is after you retrace your route.
Now that you have the location of the stop sign you're almost home free (almost)

Most states have a state body that governs traffic signs, lights and other related things.
If like New Jersey they have a height requirement the sign MUST meet those requirements or it invalidates the sign.

I brought a copy of the state law and a picture of me standing next to the sign to prove the sign did not meet the state law regarding height, in NJ the law requires the signs to be at 7 feet from the base near the ground to the bottom of where the sign begins.

I was found not guilty because we had a trial because the prosecutor laughed at me when I asked him before court for a dismissal based on what I showed him.

You'll find a great many states have these regulations because of the small town speed traps that use to post signs at waist level and other tricky tactics.

In jersey if the local traffic DOT compliance officer forgets to register a traffic light it also is null and void he eyes of the law.

When they erect a new traffic light they have to publish it's location and activation date to inform the public, if they don't do this they can't register the light.
When a light or sign is not in compliance it is as if does not exist in the eyes of the law.

Flame suit on

Nicely played.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Flame suit on

Nicely played.

Thanks Pete.
I received my education on traffic laws & regs from a friend who is the traffic officer in charge in my home town.

He knew his shit and helped me a great deal.
He said if you read the DOT reg book you could almost beat any ticket based on their own laws and regs.

I don't drink & drive but he told me the first thing you should ask for in discovery for a DUI arrest is if the officer who administered the test was certified on it's use , he also said to check the certification of the machine and the officer against the actual machine used.
Many many dept get new machines and never bother to upgrade the required certifications.

Also many officers are not certified to use the radar guns they use to back up your ticket.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Hmm...

Why is it so hard for people to read traffic signs and obey them?

There was a study conducted that showed the majority of drivers do not slow down for construction zones unless there is a police presence.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Most Insurance Companies will only check your Traffic Records if you are higher risk or under 21 yrs old. It costs them $5.00 (Here in UT) each time they check.

Traffic school will help if you have numerous tickets, and you are trying to keep your "Points" down.

Just do what makes you feel warm inside
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Flame suit on

Nicely played.

Thanks Pete.
I received my education on traffic laws & regs from a friend who is the traffic officer in charge in my home town.

He knew his shit and helped me a great deal.
He said if you read the DOT reg book you could almost beat any ticket based on their own laws and regs.

I don't drink & drive but he told me the first thing you should ask for in discovery for a DUI arrest is if the officer who administered the test was certified on it's use , he also said to check the certification of the machine and the officer against the actual machine used.
Many many dept get new machines and never bother to upgrade the required certifications.

Also many officers are not certified to use the radar guns they use to back up your ticket.

That's all well and good, but remember that it won't work that way everytime.  All of the things you mention here have been eliminated as alibis for someone, by my agency, simply because someone used them before.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top