Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 12:31:08 AM EDT
www.space.com/scienceastronomy/planetearth/earth_move_010207.html

As a physics student I thought this was very cool. A plan has been developed to save the earth from the sun expanding as it becomes a red giant.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds great, but would we really need it in a BILLION years?  C'mon, I figure we'll at least have big space ships in at most a couple thousand if humanity is even still around...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:18:37 AM EDT
[#2]
yeah, or a working Stargate program

not that it effects our lives in any way I just thought it was cool.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:02:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

As a physics student I thought this was very cool. A plan has been developed to save the earth from the sun expanding as it becomes a red giant.

By then we will have moved on to other planets.  Earth may be inhabited, but it will not hold much more than sentimental value.

Or no intelligent life will be here at all, in which case, who cares?

Jim
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:27:38 AM EDT
[#4]
hate to be a downer....but this is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist....
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:28:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
hate to be a downer....but this is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist....

Yes it does. All stars die, even our Sun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:30:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I say we move it ten feet that way ------->
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:01:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought you could knock the earth out of orbit if all the Chinese on the count of 3 jumped up and down at the exact same time.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:29:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I must be tired...that made me laugh.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:43:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I must be tired...that made me laugh.

I liked it too
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:43:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I read that the moon will move far enough away from the earth to cause life ending type weather to happen long before the sun expands far enough to threaten life.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:48:28 AM EDT
[#11]
And the earth's magnetic field which shields us from cosmic radiation will be long gone as well. Let me guess, a government grant was involved here somehow.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:54:44 AM EDT
[#12]
It will be enclosed in a giant tranparent aluminum ball on display at a cosmic museum.

Earth Museum curator and lead tour guide-The the re-incarnated talking head in a jar Scottie -can say over and over "There be whales here captian!!"

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:15:45 AM EDT
[#13]
The Earth's oceans will have evaporated away within 1 to 1.5 billion years.  We've got that long to get out of Dodge.  I think we'll manage in 200-500 years though, assuming we don't have a large nuclear war.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:22:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By the time that happens, Earth will probably have been 'used up' & we will be able to get out of the way...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By the time that happens, Earth will probably have been 'used up' & we will be able to get out of the way...

the earth will be "used up" in less than 500 years...  It will be lots of fun to mine our old garbage dumps for recoverable metals and such.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:38:37 AM EDT
[#16]
our membrane will slam into a neighboring one, rendering this discussion moot
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:47:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

the earth will be "used up" in less than 500 years...  It will be lots of fun to mine our old garbage dumps for recoverable metals and such.

Recover metals from garbage dumps in 500 years?

In 500 years, natural resources wont be a problem.  Metals are everywhere out there.

Those who don't believe we'll be "elsewhere" in 500 years have a very poor understanding of the exponential development of technology.

Oh, except for the 1911.  That was a perfect implement from it's inception.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#18]

TAG

MIKE
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:54:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By then we will have moved on to other planets.  Earth may be inhabited, but it will not hold much more than sentimental value.

Jim

You'll have to find some first.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:56:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

Not much intelligent life here now.

Look at Congress.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:23:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Taking this ideal somewhat seriously

Not practical nor possible.

Mass of Earth is 5.98x10^24 Kg.

In the Classical Realm: F=MA or Force = Mass * Acceleration

Work (Energy) = Force * distance

The Inertial of the Earth is so large that it would take an awful lot of "rocks", let alone the fact that the orbit's eccentricity would likely increase, making for some rather undesirable climatic effects.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank God!

I'm glad someone has got this figured out.  

Now my plans to become immortal can proceed.  That whole "red giant" thing was putting a tremendous crimp in my long-term outlook.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taking this ideal somewhat seriously

Not practical nor possible.

Mass of Earth is 5.98x10^24 Kg.

In the Classical Realm: F=MA or Force = Mass * Acceleration

Work (Energy) = Force * distance

The Inertial of the Earth is so large that it would take an awful lot of "rocks", let alone the fact that the orbit's eccentricity would likely increase, making for some rather undesirable climatic effects.

I was thinking of something along those lines...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#24]
IIRC we have about 50,000 years of stable energy output from the Sun left.  After that it gets uncertain anyway.  It's output can change and have dramatic effects on climate.  It won't take much to make life very hard here for people very quick.  I doubt we will be here when this star goes red.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#25]
How many cases of MRE's will we have to stock up on until we find a new sun?  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
IIRC we have about 50,000 years of stable energy output from the Sun left.  After that it gets uncertain anyway.  It's output can change and have dramatic effects on climate.  It won't take much to make life very hard here for people very quick.  I doubt we will be here when this star goes red.

Actually I read that that number is a SWAG and subject to interpretations.   Some scientists argue that it will remain stable for another half million years some say 50k years some say 5 million..  Go figure..  In any event, I doubt we'll be here..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top