Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 10:25:55 PM EDT
Im prolly gonna join the army, and I want to be a lowly grunt. What I am wondering is if when I go sign up can I get it in my contract to go in, do basic, infiantry school, Airborne training and then go to Ranger school, or is that something I try for after I am in?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to be Infantry, there is nothing "Lowley"
about it.

Get Ranger and airborne in your contract.

Just remember....YOU asked for it bud-ro.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you mean by I asked for it. I know infantry is not a bad thing, but you wont get high as a grunt, thats all I ment. But you can get it in your contract?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What do you mean by I asked for it. I know infantry is not a bad thing, but you wont get high as a grunt, thats all I ment. But you can get it in your contract?

What are you talking about?

If you want to "get high" go do drugs.

If you want to advance, and, better yourself, infantry is the only way to go.

Look........If you want to be Infantry/Airborne/Ranger and get that in your contract,
you'll be in training for at least about 9 months.

You've never been there, so i don't epect you to know.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, but make sure you see it in the print. If you don't see it, then it never happend!

When I originally signed up, I was enrolled in a student loan repayment plan for $20K. At the end of my first six, I re-uped and got a lump sum disburesment for the last $15K over a 1 yr. contract. That 1 yr turned into 2 1/2 when OIF started. Oh well, point is if you want it and the Army wants you, you can get it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont get offended now, I said the word ' high '. You misunderstood my first statement.  Yes I want to better myself, I want to be the best soldier I can be for my country and serve my country with honor. I just didnt know how much you could get into your contract. Thanks for clearing it up for me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Best of luck if you decide to go. I wouldn't want any MOS that I could do as a civillian. Go 11B!

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Dont get offended now, I said the word ' high '. You misunderstood my first statement.  Yes I want to better myself, I want to be the best soldier I can be for my country and serve my country with honor. I just didnt know how much you could get into your contract. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Look....Everyone acts like you are in danger of NOT gettin Airborne/Ranger if you sign as
11 series....

It's laughable.

Look.

You go in there.....Pass the ASVAB...Pass the physical.........

Say you want it, you'll get it.  

Infantry is NOT a sought after MOS as of now.

Go with god brother.

I did not mean to offend.

I did almost 8 years myself.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#8]
The counselor at the MEPS station is the guy that you really need to watch, his job is to meet the MOS and assignment needs of the Army.  The recruiter’s job is to get you in the Army. Your job is to get what satisfies you, don’t be BS’sd by them.  He Army sets it’s requirements annually and also quarterly, if the training you want isn’t available try again latter.  Don’t fall for some crap about well you can change your MOS latter, that’s when you reenlist, if you are in an MOS they will let you out off, or you are physically broke.  An Airborne Infantry contract usually isn’t a problem.  As for Ranger school in your contract probably not going to happen, you can get an assignment to on of the three battalions but you will need to prove yourself then get on the OML (Order of Merit List) and go when the unit get the slots, it can take a while.  I’ve had friends that their first assignment was in a Ranger Batt and they where in the unit over a year before getting a class date.   Good luck with your Decision
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:42:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Never in the ARMY due to medical reasons, but my buddies tell me that fast advancement is definitely in the infantry, slowest advancement is in recruiting. Don't know how true that is.

Nothing lowly about being in any part of the service though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:43:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Make sure you get any sign-on bonuses in your contract. Talk to your recruiter about what is currently being offered. Its not the main reason to sign-up in the Army but there's no reason to pass up what is available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top