Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 7:09:37 PM EDT
I AM SO FUCKING SICK AND TIRED OF THIS POLITICALLY CORRECT BULLSHIT.....

If I say anything else that I'm thinking, I'll probably end up banned.  

www.thebostonchannel.com/consumer/8491575/detail.html

Girl, 5, Forced To Apologize For Hugging Classmate
Parents Looking For New School For Girl

POSTED: 6:02 pm EDT April 5, 2006
UPDATED: 7:59 pm EDT April 5, 2006

MAYNARD, Mass. -- A family in Maynard is outraged after their 5-year-old daughter was forced to write a letter denouncing hugging after a classmate embraced her.

NewsCenter 5's Amalia Barreda reported that Brenda Brier and Michael Marino pulled their daughter, Savannah, out of school early Wednesday. The couple was angry after a meeting with officials at the Greenmeadow Elementary School in Maynard, where Savannah is in kindergarten.

At issue is a hug Savannah said she got on the playground from a friend named Sophie. Savannah hugged Sophie back. The hugs resulted in Savannah having to write a letter, complete with teacher corrections, that read, "I touch Sophie because she touch me and I didn't like it because she was hugging me. I didn't like when she hugged me."

"She said, 'I'm really sad that I got in trouble for hugging,'" Brier said.

"I can understand if boys are playing rough or kids are pulling each other around -- that's one thing. But when kids are being affectionate, I mean hugging, hey, they shouldn't be disciplined over it and they shouldn't be lying in letters making the kid say the opposite that they don't like to hug," Marino said.

School Superintendent Mark Masterson told NewsCenter 5 there was a "dispute of the facts between a hug and a lifting of a child off the floor." The superintendent said the school reported "one girl bear hugged another girl and lifted her off the ground. The aide who was monitoring told the teacher. The teacher asked several students to write a note to their parents and describe what happened."

Savannah said she did not lift her classmate off the ground.

"They're trying to accuse her now, basically," Brier said.

Savannah's parents said it should have never gone this far, and want an apology from the school. The family said they are so upset they'll start looking for a new school for their daughter to attend.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The hugs resulted in Savannah having to write a letter, complete with teacher corrections, that read, "I touch Sophie because she touch me and I didn't like it because she was hugging me. I didn't like when she hugged me."

I'm not sure which is worse: the school's reaction or the fact the above was written AFTER teacher corrections.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
i'm SO glad i'm not in school anymore
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
It sounds like we need to go back to the days when teachers got their asses kicked for messing with our kids...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I fucking hate my homestate.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
wow....how absurd...my daughter has been hugging her classmates since she started school!  many times she "bear hugs" them and lifts them off the ground.

WTF!

No Expert
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top