Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 6:44:21 PM EDT

Snopes says its the real deal

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,181447,00.html

One-Eyed Kitten May Not Be Fake
Thursday, January 12, 2006

PORTLAND, Ore. — A photo of a one-eyed kitten named Cy drew more than a little skepticism when it turned up on various Web sites, but medical authorities have a name for the bizarre condition.

Holoprosencephaly causes facial deformities, according to the National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke, part of the National Institutes of Health. In the worst cases, a single eye is located where the nose should be, according to the institute's Web site.

Traci Allen says the kitten she named Cy, short for Cyclops, was born the night of Dec. 28 with the single eye and no nose.

"You don't expect to see something like that," the 35-year-old Allen said by telephone from her home in Redmond in central Oregon.

Allen said she stayed up all night with the deformed kitten on her recliner, feeding Cy a liquid formula through a syringe. She says she cared for the kitten the next day as well, until it died that evening.

Allen had taken digital pictures that she provided to The Associated Press. Some bloggers have questioned the authenticity of the photo distributed on Jan. 6.

AP regional photo editor Tom Stathis said he took extensive steps to confirm the one-eyed cat was not a hoax.

Stathis had Allen ship him the memory card that was in her camera. On the card were a number of pictures — including holiday snapshots and four pictures of a one-eyed kitten. The kitten pictures showed the animal from different perspectives.

Fabricating those images in sequence and in the camera's original picture format, from the varying perspectives, would have been virtually impossible, Stathis said.

Meanwhile, Cy the one-eyed cat may be dead, but it has not left the building.

Allen said she's keeping the cat's corpse in her freezer for now, in case scientists would like it for research.

She said one thing's for certain: "I'm not going to put it on eBay

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It's real. There are a whole host of genetic disorders cats can get that deform the head, from having two faces to the brain being partially exposed to missing their frontal lobes.

They usually die very quickly and look immensely horrifying.

It's so sad
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
real according to snopes

they have a link to a one eye goat as well pretty sad stuff really
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Eeewwwwww!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmm, that would make a great avatar.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#5]
It's staring at me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
and allowing it live .......why?  Freakshow attraction ?

No Expert
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I seriously doubt that the defect caused the kitten to be born with an open and very clear eye like that. I gotta call BS.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I seriously doubt that the defect caused the kitten to be born with an open and very clear eye like that. I gotta call BS.

the goat pictures look similar

www.cybergoat.com/cyclopia/cyclopia.htm

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]
... It's cute! In some sort of lysergic acid diethylamide way
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It does. The eyelid doesn't fully form, IIRC.

And LoginName, please, take that out of your avatar. Seriously, it makes me feel sick and sad.

ETA: just so there's no misunderstanding, I won't launch a formal request or try to have you baninated or anything, it's just a request.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Blinky cat!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It does. The eyelid doesn't fully form, IIRC.

In that case, I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#14]
poor little guys.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

OMG!!! Its Octopussy!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#17]
These kitties are pretty cute for being freaks. I'd adopt them all.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
myweb.cableone.net/williambeav2/strange.jpg

Has Dr. FriDge seen this?  

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't tell me he's afraid of cats too?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMG!!! Its Octopussy!!

Oh boooooo
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#21]
"Every time you masturbate God kills a kitten."....

This thread is very difficult to masturbate to, I said difficult, not impossible!!!.....
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm all for landmines blowing the shit out of illegals on the border, but those kitty photos make me sad. Poor little babies
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#23]
poor kitty cats
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't tell me he's afraid of cats too?

He's afraid of all Arachnids
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm all for landmines blowing the shit out of illegals on the border, but those kitty photos make me sad. Poor little babies

+1

Little critters in the hurt locker always bums me out big time......
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:26:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's real. There are a whole host of genetic disorders cats can get that deform the head, from having two faces to the brain being partially exposed to missing their frontal lobes.

They usually die very quickly and look immensely horrifying.

It's so sad

You know what's really surreal and sad? It happens to PEOPLE too.

at loma linda medical school, there are several deformed babies in jars that would make you skin crawl.

extremely horrific deformaties...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I heard there was a museum near one of the old Soviet nuke testing sites that had lots of deformed babies in jars
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:04:14 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or this...

(not my Photoshop)
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Tag.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#30]
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NY_ONE_EYED_CAT_NYOL-?SITE=NYITH&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

One-eyed kitten sold to museum exploring creationism vs. science

By WILLIAM KATES
Associated Press Writer

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) -- A one-eyed, noseless kitten that stirred an international debate last year over whether it was a hoax will become the "spokesanimal" for a new museum of anomalies intended to launch discussions about how science and religion intersect.

John Adolfi plans to make the kitten the centerpiece of The Lost World Museum when it opens later this year.

"We didn't want her to be a desk ornament or a joke. We cared about her," said the kitten's owner, Traci Allen, of Redmond, Ore.

Allen said Thursday that she sold Cy's remains to Adolfi because she liked his religious reasons for wanting them. Ripley's Believe it or Not! and a private collector from Europe also offered to buy the remains, she said.

"We were inspired by what John said, we believe in what he wants to do. We believe creationism should be an option for people to consider," she said.

Neither Adolfi nor Allen would say how much he paid for the remains.

The 1 1/2-ounce kitten was born Dec. 28 as part of a two-cat litter. The cat, with one oversized eye in the center of its face, no eyelid and no nose, died the next day, despite Allen's efforts to save it.

The Associated Press, which photographed the kitten, and veterinarians in Oregon confirmed the cat's authenticity, which was widely debated on the Internet. Veterinarians said it suffered from a rare disorder called holoprosencephaly.

The Lost World Museum, located in Phoenix, N.Y., about 10 miles north of Syracuse, will feature oddities such as giant plants and eggs, deformed animal remains and unique archaeological finds, said Adolfi, who believes in creationism.

"Evolution states that millions of mutations over millions of years with the help of environmental pressures can lift a species from the ape-like creature ... to us today. My question is this. Are there really positive mutations? All I can see are neutral or negative," Adolfi, a real estate agent from Granby, N.Y., says on the museum's web site.

On Wednesday, funeral home director Howard Krueger said he removed some skin so scientists can study why Cy ended up with one eye. He preserved the kitten by giving her a bath in a formaldehyde solution. In a few days, he will slowly switch to an 80 percent alcohol solution as a permanent preservative.

The remains will be kept in a glass jar. The kitten's body is about the length and width of a cigar, he said.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top