Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 5:57:52 PM EDT
Assuming the historically slow movers, with the old proper addage of one shot to the ehad and they are dead....

Are Zombies Exothermic or Endothermic?

Obviously they have some sort of biological and chemical processes working to keep them moving.  and they are not warm os I would think Endothermic....   BUT, that would keep them from being able to move well as it got cooler, and impossible in Winter, yet there are training films depicting them moving in such weather (particularly foreign made training films)

So I am curious?

Also curious as to how long it would take for fire to incapacitate the bastards
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Its 2 to the head...  then flame on!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
In one zombie book  I read, they lasted longer in the cold regions as they did not decay as fast.

One idea anyway.

No Expert
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]
destroy the head.  it's the only way to be sure (short of nuking from orbit)
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Fire shouldn't slow them down until the nerves ennervating the muscle tissue become destroyed. This will happen slowly. Slow enough for them to catch you - while they're on fire.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Its 2 to the head...  then flame on!

So now i have to attach a flame thrower to my 10/22?  SWEET! I better get rid of that wood stock.  Which stock would you go with asbestos or ceramic?

--mort
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Max Brook's zombies freeze up in the winter since they don't generate heat so humans get a break but beware the spring thaw.

The zombies that don't generate heat make them harder to find with heat imaging.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The body temperature of a zombie is normally that of its surroundings. So a zombie could be considered an ectotherm. But true ectotherms will slow down in cold weather because the chemical reactions provide their energy slow down and stop as the temperature drops.

Normal chemical reactions aren’t taking place to provide energy for the zombie, instead the zombie apparently relies on some exotic energy source for motivation. Hydrogen>hydrino conversion is the current popular theory although hydrinos have never been verified and much of the work in this area remains controversial. (Whatever the source there appears to be very little waste heat.)

Therefore zombies don’t slow down all that much in cool weather. Extremely cold weather may slow or stop them due to the freezing of their tissue. However they will resume operation when they thaw out.

Living animals can store energy chemically and release it in bursts when necessary. (ATP>ADP) but zombies completely lack this ability. The virus that causes zombieism can only provide a limited amount of power to the zombies muscles and there is no storage system. So a zombie is tireless but it’s completely incapable of the bursts of energy all animals are capable of.

Destroying a zombie by fire is more difficult than it sounds. Zombies aren’t dried flesh and don’t really burn well. Fire will stop them but you have to heat them up enough to cook the brain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top