Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 1:54:56 PM EDT
Has your job ever required you to do something you didn't want to do?

Did you carry out the task anyway?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't believe I am the first to ask...

Isn't THAT the definition of a JOB?

Otherwise it would be a calling or a hobby or your passion, or something else...

No one likes a freaking JOB...

Seriously, in my line of work you have to do things based on the stupid decisions of others all the time.

Also, your question is the very reason I would never want to be a police officer or an attorney.  I don't tolerate being told to do something shitty just because it's "policy" or "accepted practice".  Especially when it tramples on peoples' civil rights.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
It's the rule, not the exception, in my line of work. You do as you're told, even if it seems stupid. The office pukes don't want feedback on how to do the job better; they want you to do it their way, even if it's inefficient or wrong.

Get used to it; it's quite prevalent.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I tell my students that I did not make the rules but it is my job to enforce them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#4]
any time i have had to park cars
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Why yes, yes I have.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes I have I was in the REPO business for some time Just after 9-11 went to this house to repo a jeep cherokee no answer at the door so I began to repo it when this women carrying a baby came out crying. Husband left her, laid off from the airline industry EX Left her with nothing I let her take the car seat out and other posessions ..........On another ocassion went to a trailer park about 3pm sherriff car in drive Vehicle to be repo'd in the drive sherriff comes out and tell's me the couple who lived in the trl. had a small child get in to some cleaning products that AM and died. Owner came out and was not very happy about losing his Truck.......In both cases I told them "I am sorry I am only doing my job........In both cases they really didn't seem to understand or care.....I'm a heartless Bastard and out the 100's of cases I handled these two still bother me to this day...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup.

Most commonly, when some parasite decides to glom on a "loss of consortium" claim to their spouse's already fishy soft tissue claim.

One rhino that went about 275, age 54, claimed that before the accident, they were going at it 4 times a day, every day, twice before breakfast, twice after dinner.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yup.

Most commonly, when some parasite decides to glom on a "loss of consortium" claim to their spouse's already fishy soft tissue claim.

One rhino that went about 275, age 54, claimed that before the accident, they were going at it 4 times a day, every day, twice before breakfast, twice after dinner.  

I have no clue what that means
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes I have I was in the REPO business for some time Just after 9-11 went to this house to repo a jeep cherokee no answer at the door so I began to repo it when this women carrying a baby came out crying. Husband left her, laid off from the airline industry EX Left her with nothing I let her take the car seat out and other posessions ..........On another ocassion went to a trailer park about 3pm sherriff car in drive Vehicle to be repo'd in the drive sherriff comes out and tell's me the couple who lived in the trl. had a small child get in to some cleaning products that AM and died. Owner came out and was not very happy about losing his Truck.......In both cases I told them "I am sorry I am only doing my job........In both cases they really didn't seem to understand or care.....I'm a heartless Bastard and out the 100's of cases I handled these two still bother me to this day...

ever been shot at or held at gun point?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yup.

+1
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, Of couse, I would say that to myself for 18 months
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ever been shot at or held at gun point?

I never have but my boss was on the phone with 911 and the dispatcher heard the slide rack on the 12ga the dirt bag was holding to his head. 911 tape was played in court and helped convict this A-Hole. I've had a guy say I have a GLOCK while he was cleaning out his car, what would you do if i shot at you........I  responded We shoot back and smiled
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, many times at my last job. I telemarketed.

You know now why I quit after three months.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Yup....i've had to kick several people out of the gym i work out.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yup.

Sorry.  I'm an attorney.  I defended people who were sued for car wrecks, slip and falls, etc.

There's the primary claim, "I fell and got hurt," and the parasitic claim by the spouse, "He hurt his back and can't tube me like he used to."

Those are the ones where my job requires me to ask low lifes very specific questions about the sex lives they claim have been changed, ie what, when, how often, positions, etc.

Disgusting.

But it's (or was) my job.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yup.

I had a nurse accidently put a rectal suppository in a 40 some-odd year old womans vagina. Embarrassing for both. She files a complaint that now she can't have an orgasm...doctors wife at that.
To answer the question, Yes. All the time, makes people feel like I sympathetic to there problems/concerns.. I'm doing my job and don't mind it, but some dumdass's can't understand policy and proceedure.
I will not lose my position for not doing what I am paid to do.
I have the authority to bend rules, but hardly ever see a ligit reason to.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope.  They are the ones with the problem, not me.

I have said..."I have a job to do, and, I'm going to do it."
before though.

Never appologize for doing your job.

You need to find another one if you do.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Used to then I figured out that that some type of negative reaction from people/other companies/my company/government agencies was PART of my job.

So now I really like my job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top