Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 9:32:17 AM EDT
Whenever I research on how to clean your bore after shooting corrosive ammo, it seems that I find a different answer almost every time: some people say that windex sprayed onto a cleaning cloth works good, others say you just need a mixture of dish soap and water, others insist that you must use boiling water, and still others are confident that simply using huge amounts of hoppe's #9 works, etc. etc. etc.

Which method is the "real" method? Or do they all work pretty much equally (assuming you clean your bore no more than a few hours after shooting it)? I'm asking cause I just got a whole bunch of Romanian and Yugoslavian 8mm ammo for my RC K98, and this rifle has a fantastic bore, and I really want to take care of it. I'm assuming that the only areas that really need to be "de-corrosiveified" are the bore and the bolt face, correct?

Don't reply for my sake, reply for the K98. Oh yeah, he says thank you.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

He?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#2]
BAN IT!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Follow the same cleaning methods black powder shooters use and you should be fine.  Just be prepared to clean the gun every time you shoot the ammo through it!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Spray bottle with one part ammonia and one part water has worked well for my C&Rs.

Everytime I shoot my Mosins, I squirt some of the solution down the barrel and run a patch. Then a good cleaning when I get home.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Just piss down the barrel before you pack up to go home.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#6]

I use windex. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He?

Well, maybe a she. I'm not a veterinarian gunsmith, I can't tell what gender it is.

Although I suppose all weapons really should be female.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Hot, soapy water down the bbl. and rinse the bolt face.  Then clean as usual.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#9]
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu13.htm

Old Painless is the font of knowledge.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#10]
The best way to deal with it is the method I use on some of mine; the ones I need to keep perfect:

(NOTE: Use one lot of ammo only)

1) Pull bullets.
2) Weigh and average powder charges.
3) Load bullet and 90% of powder charge in a commercial Boxer primed case.
4) Enjoy with no worries.

How's that?

Larry
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu13.htm

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I broke down and ordered a can of the Korean corrosive M2Ball for my Garand the other. Because it's so darn cheap and includes the can, clips and bandoliers. Are there any extra tips/procedures for cleaning the Garand after shooting corrosive ammo? Or I should say, do I need to disasssmble the thing in the field or just windex the barrel until I get home?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#15]
No problems with Korean ammo in my Garand.   Several people have been happy with it.  

Just pour some hot water down the barrel and clean as normal.  Or just use Hoppe's No. 9 Nitro Powder Solvent.  From the label "Removes leading and metal fouling, frees gun bores of corrosive primer fouling and residue."

It's all I use and I have had no problems with corrosion.  After cleaning all my rifles, I also spray a little EEZOX down the barrel after cleaning.  It provides excellent corrosion protection.  I always check my rifles a day or two after cleaning to insure I did it right although I have never had to reclean one.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#16]

This thing eats a lot of 8mm and all it gets cleaned with (first) is windex. FWIW
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#17]
1 – shoot ammo

2 – the same day, run a couple of patches with ammoniated Windex through the bore, also wipe bolt face.  (Granted, the Romanian 8MM is so dirty that I’ll continue to run patches wet with water through the bore till they stop coming out black!)

3 – dry off any water, then clean and oil in the normal fashion.

Incidentally, Bore Tech sells a regular solvent that supposedly will also remove corrosive salts.  I’ve tried it and don’t feel it saves much time over the Windex treatment, plus it’s a lot more expensive.

Still, if I were as concerned as you about corrosion, I’d use it as my regular solvent instead of whatever you normally use (Shooter’s Choice, Hoppes, etc.).  Using both Windex and it should give you extra protection.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Does it make me a bad person if I dont clean my M48 after I shoot corrosive ammo through it? I used to do it right away, but my buddy left his for 2 months and it came out fine so I don't do it so often now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Does it make me a bad person if I dont clean my M48 after I shoot corrosive ammo through it? I used to do it right away, but my buddy left his for 2 months and it came out fine so I don't do it so often now.

In very low humidity (like AZ) you could probably get away with it, but not in NH.  I don't grab my M-44 unless I know that I have time to clean it.  Not that it takes that long.  I usually bring a large water bottle filled with hot water to the range and pour it down the barrel after I shoot, then finish up at home.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And that's a really nice Mauser.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Best way to deal with it is not to buy the stuff. I know, not what you wanted to hear.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And that's a really nice Mauser.

Don't know if I'm really the "font of knowledge".  I've been told I'm full of something, but it wasn't knowledge.

But I sure want to keep that Yugo as clean as it now is.  And it's perfect.

The method I use works great for me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#23]
LOL you guys kill me,,,

4 days no cleaning 8mm  40's date'd turkish... no rust....

you aint gotta clean it that same damn day unles syou leave it outside in arain storm.

i used to dothe h20,, 50-50 bullshit mix,, windex ect.. fuck that..

i use break free  and let it ride,,ihave over 8 rifles that eat corrisve ammo ONLY,,not one has rusted out. not one pit,,not one fuzzy  barrel all still shinny fuckin new!

2 yrs ago i had to BO during a cane,,  guess what no power 98f and humdity that would make some of you DIE,,, only damn part of the gun that rusted was a part  alot dont oil  the damn steel BUTT PLATE!

say what you want,,, but i know what ive seen and  dont care for  all that fancy mix'n and washing BS... just clean it good oil it good and go on with life!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Best way to deal with it is not to buy the stuff. I know, not what you wanted to hear.

That's my favorite policy. I usually reload for my older guns, including my M1. But I'm out of reloads right now and daughter has been itching to shoot. It was her idea to take it out a couple of weeks ago and she shot off 56 rounds out of the last 80 I had. It was her second time shooting it and she wants to go again. And now I'm out of ammo, components and time. So I ordered a can and I'll have plenty of brass for the next reload session.

I shoot only reloads in my .303Brit and Wolf in my AK and M91/30's. So this is the first corrosive ammo I'll be using. And I sure don't want to muck up my Garand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top