Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 9:15:05 AM EDT

Anything I can do about this?  I like to keep my vehicle looking good, but within 48 hours of detailing it I've got visible red dust on the rims, particularly the front driver's side wheel.  I was about to polish the rims with metal polish this afternoon, but I'd love a quick fix for this problem before I take the time to polish them up.  These are standard factory rims, I just want them to look as good as possible.  I don't mind doing the work at all, I just hate for it to be dirtied up again so quickly.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#1]
don't know anything about these but it should keep the dust off your rims.

brake dust shields

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#2]
What kinda vehicle? You can put ceramic pads on the frnt problem solved
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#3]

This is a 2002 Land Rover Discovery.

I may have to check out those brake dust covers.  Thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#4]
brake dust covers make ur wheels look like hub caps.  try new pads, EBC, Porterfields make low dust pads, but they are pretty loud.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

These will block air circulation to your rotors in theory.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Get different pads.  Ones that are known to be low dusting and meet your other needs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
brake dust covers make ur wheels look like hub caps.  try new pads, EBC, Porterfields make low dust pads, but they are pretty loud.  

+1 on the Porterfields.  You have to be carefull when installing them and breaking them in, or they will squeal. You have to use backing shims or compound on the back of the pad.  Dust covers suck, and can get hot during heavy braking.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Usually the softer brake pads make more dust, and usually these softer pads allow the car to stop faster and in a shorter distance. This isn't always the case, but usually it is.

You can solve this problem by changing pads, as mentioned, but you will either have a longer stopping distance, more noise, or generally poor performance.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Why is it that OEM brakes from the factory do not do this but it seems like every aftermarket brake pad does?  You can't tell me that the factory is putting on expensive brake pads.  Their brakes don't make noise, don't leave a ton of dust, and provide good stopping distance and I'm sure they are cheap...so what are they and where can I get them?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Brake less.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why is it that OEM brakes from the factory do not do this but it seems like every aftermarket brake pad does?  You can't tell me that the factory is putting on expensive brake pads.  Their brakes don't make noise, don't leave a ton of dust, and provide good stopping distance and I'm sure they are cheap...so what are they and where can I get them?

break pads work best in specific heat ranges. you notice how F1 cars breaks glow red at night. those pads dont wort for shit when cold. put factory pads on on an f1 car and they would be gone in one stop. put f1 pads in your daily driver and the will squeak. factory pads are designed for a happy medium reasonable stopping and quiet. performace and street drivability are not the same.

break dust comes off the pads very hot and melt into the wheel and pits it.

break dust on factory cars is proportional with you driving style if you break at the last possible moment all the time it will build up faster. if you coast up to a stop your breaks will last much longer and wont become dusty.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I turned a black truck red with rusted brake dust once. Apparently I use the brakes hard
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You can put ceramic pads on the frnt problem solved

This is the cure
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I got some brake dust repealant in a wheel car kit from BJ's. it works pretty good. It goes on like   a spray wax. You spray it on then buff it off.  I think it is made by mechelin (sp?). I'll post a pic if you want it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I got some brake dust repealant in a wheel car kit from BJ's. it works pretty good. It goes on like   a spray wax. You spray it on then buff it off.  I think it is made by mechelin (sp?). I'll post a pic if you want it.

Please do.  You just spray it on the rim itself?  Will it react to any metal polishes or anthing?

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What kinda vehicle? You can put ceramic pads on the frnt problem solved

+1
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These will block air circulation to your rotors in theory.

+1, I hope you like warped rotors
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I have to wash my wheels. That dust and crud eats the polished aluminum finish
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Another vote for ceramic pads.  I have two Ford Crown Vics and the factory pads turned the front wheels black in a few days.  Morse ceramic pads- no problem now!  About $50 for a set.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#22]
buy different pads.

I use AXXIS Deluxe pads, which are good for daily driving and good on track days. They dont leave dust on your rims either.  Typically OEM and cheap pads will leave tons of dust on your rims.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#23]
try spraying them with no-stick cooking spray.  it works for stock car racing, but i dont know about driving
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like the cheap pad that VatoZone sells.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#25]
+1 for the ceramic pads. My GFs car has no brake dust on the wheels now that I have those on there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Actually OEM components are pretty good. Much better than cheap import replacement parts. OEM parts are made to factory spec, and need to last at least thru the inital vehicle warranty period, with the minimum of fuss. Even though brakes are consumables, people would freak if brake components wear out faster than the car's warranty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top