Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 6:15:02 AM EDT
Not really tactical but I want a pair of flat toe brown leather cowboy boots (Cowboy heal is a must). Would be nice if the leather was a little nicer than regular work boots. I have looked at Justins, any other nice choices? Lets try and keep it around the 200 mark (sorry no alligator boots for me).
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:25:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I wear boots everyday.

What, exactly, do you mean by "flat toe"?

Are you talking about a "Coffin Toe" like this?

My second question is, what exactly is a "cowboy heel"?
I assume you mean something tall and underslung like the packer heels on the boots below.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Justin, Ariat, Durango, Georgia, Laredo, Tony Lama, Acme, Dan Post, Dingo, Nocona, Frye.
-take your pick

Just for grins look up JBHill out of Texas and see what a $ 5000.00 pair of boots looks like.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just for grins look up JBHill out of Texas and see what a $ 5000.00 pair of boots looks like.

Eyesores, yuck  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Sir, FWIW I've worn Justin boots for a lot of years.  I have some Luchese also, and I've had a few pair of Tony Lama.  Justins seem to fit me best and last the longest.  My Luchese boots are on the second half sole.  HTH, 7zero1.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Double H or Ariat
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got Tony Lama, Luchese, and Olathe.  They are all high quality and wear well.  The Tony Lamas are 17 years old, the Olathe are 15 years old, and the Luchese are 7.  The Olathes work well with spurs if you ride horses.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:57:47 AM EDT
[#7]
you are wanting a round toe, riding heel.
walking heel 1-1.5" riding heel 2-2.5""

I was told Olathe went under a couple of years ago, could be wrong,
I just sold a pair I have had for a few years for over 300 they were NIB condition.
I could NEVER wear them, was like walking down hill.

I wear Nacona's or Luchase only anymore
Justins are ok, stay away from acme in my opinion, they dont seem to break in.

what your wanting may be a special order. riding heels are more common on pointed toe boots as the toe is designed to slide right into a sturrup. I have only ever seen a few boots with round toes and riding/packer heels.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:04:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
you are wanting a round toe, riding heel.
walking heel 1-1.5" riding heel 2-2.5""

olathe went under a couple of years ago,,
I just sold a pair I have had for a few years for over 300 they were NIB condition.

what your wanting may be a special order. riding heels are more common on pointed toe boots as the toe is designed to slide right into a sturrup.

Got to agree on the Olathe; pretty tough to walk in.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:05:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Olathe didn't go under. They did however, sell out and move to Mercedes, Tx. around 4 years ago.
For awhile, the quality of their boots went downhill. They looked like they were cut with a chainsaw and stitched with a rat tail file.....but that seems to have changed and they look like good boots again.

ETA: I have two pair of Olathe's and my spurs don't come off either pair. Packer heels aren't made to walk in, at least very far  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:06:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Nacona.  I've had a pair for years.  I only wear them occasionally, but they are hands down the most confortable I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Olathe didn't go under. They did however, sell out and move to Mercedes, Tx. around 4 years ago.
For awhile, the quality of their boots went downhill. They looked like they were cut with a chainsaw and stitched with a rat tail file.....but that seems to have changed and they look like good boots again.

ETA: I have two pair of Olathe's and my spurs don't come off either pair. Packer heels aren't made to walk in, at least very far  

I had/sold the exact olethe boot pictured above, when I was younger and did some riding, the style was great for it and didnt bother me as far as walking. I bought that last pair after getting a tad older and fat.and they just didnt work.
glad to hear they came back, the quality of olethe was excellent for price value in its day and the boot of "real" cowboys.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I loved the way Justin fit out of the box - too bad they looked like used trash in under 6 months - utterly destroyed inside and out.  My boot guy could salvage them and make them wearable for another year or so, but they still looked terrible.  They use way too soft or low quality leather.
I went through 4 pair

Since then I have stuck with Nocona.  If your boot person takes the time and knows what they are doing they can be darn close to custom (I forget but they have like 4 toe radiouses, several different heal options, probably a minumum of 5 widths, not to mention several upper heighths for each boot in thier catalog.  They do require some break in, but after that the fit is great (for me).  Two pair have lasted for 4-6 years of daily ware so far - for daily ware you need a minuium of two pair.  It allows the leather to dry some between wears - and allows for you to have something on your feet when maintence is being done to the boots (heal, sole, liner replacements - ware does happen, but the boots outers still look great).

Anyway, here is a link (click on pic)
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Ariat
I wear boots and have for years (in fact I still have a pair of elkskin Olathe from about 1988, too bad my feet are too fat. )
The Narconas are way too soft, dress boots only
I'm hard on boots, and the Ariats last a good 2 years and they fit great.
and only about $150 bucks
comfy too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I prefer Dan Post and Justin for comfort. I don't like the pointed toe style of many boots.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Just get some plain brown kicks, man. Why cowboy boots? You looking to climb brokeback mountain?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ariat
I wear boots and have for years (in fact I still have a pair of elkskin Olathe from about 1988, too bad my feet are too fat. )
The Narconas are way too soft, dress boots only
I'm hard on boots, and the Ariats last a good 2 years and they fit great.
and only about $150 bucks
comfy too.

What leather did you try?  I have found Nacona Bull Hide to wear quite well, but understand these are my "office" boots (where them 60-100 hrs a week, but mostly instead of dress shoes).  

I tend to where Red Wing for my ranch boot - but to be honest I need to find something with a better sole.  The Red Wing i use kill my feet if I walk too many miles in them a day (or a full day of on my feet ranch work - like brush clearing).
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a pair of Dan Posts I bought while living in Nashville 10 years ago that I still love but the wife hates...

Now I wear Ariats and love the way they fit.  I need to get a pair of Ariat work boots next.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes coffin toe style boots, not the really pointy ones that flatten out right at the end. By cowboy heel (thats what my roomate called it, prob a bad term) I just mean that it should have a some sort of heal on it, not like the flat sole cowboy style work boots. I dont really like the slant back heel, more a fan of the strait one, but its not a deal breaker for me. Also these will be for walking not riding so I think a 2.5+ inch heel is excessive (try to stay 1-1.5 max).
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yes coffin toe style boots, not the really pointy ones that flatten out right at the end. By cowboy heel (thats what my roomate called it, prob a bad term) I just mean that it should have a some sort of heal on it, not like the flat sole cowboy style work boots. I dont really like the slant back heel, more a fan of the strait one, but its not a deal breaker for me. Also these will be for walking not riding so I think a 2.5+ inch heel is excessive (try to stay 1-1.5 max).

Cool, for what you want to spend and the boot you're looking for check out Anderson Bean
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Since then I have stuck with Nocona. If your boot person takes the time and knows what they are doing they can be darn close to custom (I forget but they have like 4 toe radiouses, several different heal options, probably a minumum of 5 widths, not to mention several upper heighths for each boot in thier catalog. They do require some break in, but after that the fit is great (for me). Two pair have lasted for 4-6 years of daily ware so far - for daily ware you need a minuium of two pair. It allows the leather to dry some between wears - and allows for you to have something on your feet when maintence is being done to the boots (heal, sole, liner replacements - ware does happen, but the boots outers still look great).

This is the best way to get what you want. Years ago I went to the plant and had several custom pairs made. Best boots I've ever worn. Ordering them this way is a good second.  Most places will charge you $25 or more for the order but it's worth it.  I think you want a walking heel on them. it's not slanted in the back like a riding heel but is smaller than the heel on a pair of ropers.

I's love to have another custom pair made but the markup for the work is too much $$$$$.  I haven't bought anything but a Roper style boot in forever because todays styles to me are just butt ugly.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Well I found a pair I love but Justin only made them for the Houston Stock show/Rodeo and they dont have them in my size, damn. Well who makes a nice brown, square toe boot.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Double H or Ariat

My Double H's are super comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Disco Stu don't advertise, and he sure don't wear cowboy boots.

go get yourself a nice rhinestone studded pair of platforms, and boogie!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Why?

if you want a workboot that look and feel like "cowboy" boots try Redwings.

spending any more than 200 bucks on boots is silly assed shit.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Nacona.  I've had a pair for years.  I only wear them occasionally, but they are hands down the most confortable I've ever owned.

+1 on Nacona. I've got a pair of their rancher boots in brown. I'm thinking about getting another in black. I looked and looked for boots I liked and finally stopped into this dinky little western shop where the guy sold me on Naconas. THeir repair guy put a thin rubber layer on the bottom -- where the sole is normally leather. I couldn't be happier with these boots!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top