Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 2:39:54 AM EDT
hello all.  My mom is going in for a surgery today at 10:30 a.m. Eastern time known as Minimally Invasive Radioguided Parathyroid Surgery (MIRP).  She was diagnosed with Hyperparathyroidism late last year or early this year.  They will also remove an adenoma in that area.  This surgery is less invasive than a full neck exploration which, as I understand it, is what is traditionally done in this type of surgery.  I would really appreciate your prayers for a successful surgery with no complications  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:42:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know what prayers will do, but i hope she makes it through.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:06:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I wish her a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:16:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a thyroid surgery recently. Wish I had known of a minimally invasive approach!

The good news with the thyroid, is that even in the worst case scenario, is still pretty good.

Best wishes for your mother, and do keep us posted!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:46:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had a thyroid surgery recently. Wish I had known of a minimally invasive approach!

The good news with the thyroid, is that even in the worst case scenario, is still pretty good.

Best wishes for your mother, and do keep us posted!

When looking at the various options, mom ran across MIRP.  Appearantly, it was invented by a Dr. James Norman at the University of South FL in Tampa in 1995.  Dr. Norman won't be doing the surgery himself, but a doctor that studied the technique under him will.  So, mom and dad are in FL right now, and I'm at home here in MA looking after the dogs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Update:

I just called dad.  Mom got out of surgery 1 hour ago.  The actual surgery took 16 minutes.  The recovery time is the real bugabear, 1 hour to recover from the anasthesia (sp?).  Mom is still in recovery.  The doctors tell my dad that mom probably had the issues with the parathyroid for the last 10 years.  I don't know how they were able to determine that, but that's what they are saying.  Nobody caught on to the problem till last year or so, but at least they caught it, that's the important thing.  Mom should have her energy back now.  Thank you for the prayers and praise God for looking after her.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got off the phone with mom.  She came through the surgery just fine.  She doesn't sound any different then from before the surgery.  All she has is a bandaid sized incision on the front of her neck.  She will have to take a calcium regimen for the rest of her life to prevent some sort of side effects (I can't remember what she said, something to do with her heart (arrythmia i think but I'm not sure, so don't quote me)).  Appearantly, before the surgery was to take place, mom had to do some sort of scan.  The docs in MA were supposed to do it before she went to FL.  They did do the scans, but according to the floridian doctor, the scans were done improperly by the MA docs.  Mom will be changing docs and hospitals because of this.  Like I said, mom didn't sound hoarse or anything over the phone.  Her throat is a little sore, but she's otherwise doing well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad you still have your mom!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top