Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 11:13:44 PM EDT
Damn...shopping for carpets is almost as addictive(and just as expensive!!!) as Black Rifle Disease, AK Syndrome, and Garanditis...

Here are some pictures of the ones I've picked up while I've been here...

This is a 5'x8' Nain I picked a couple of months ago...

Next, here are some pictures of a 6 1/2'x10' Kashan I bought in mid-March...

Lastly, this is a nice little 3'x5' Tabriz carpet I got a couple of nights ago...high quality and made of wool and silk.

The pictures are good but they just don't do it justice...

Here they are:

All of these carpets were hand-made in Iran. The names they have come from the region they were made in.

The Kashan is pretty darn good quality and is made of 100% wool. It's good for a high-traffic area.

The Nain is better quality and is made with of wool with some silk.

The Tabriz is the highest quality of the three and is made of wool with a fair amount of silk.

Almost forgot this... A 2'x3' Afghan War Rug...not authentic, but a nice little piece to put on the  floor right in front of the gun safe... Note the underfolder on it...

And another Afghan War Rug...not authentic, either...good trading material, though.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Was at Ali Al Salem for 90 days in '01...

I was walking downtown past a carpet shop and I started drooling...
I remarked to someone I was walking with..."I bet those are expensive "

She turned to me and said "Well, why don't you walk in thier and see if you can afford one"

So I did... and I was surprised..picked up a few decent sized Crescent wool rugs for about $40 each IIRC..

Each day I get older, I kick myself for not buying more...

Oh BTW that Afghan rug is COOL!!!
Would love to have one for my gunroom er office
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are sending Persian ones home, best not to advertize the fact.  There is that little matter of the embargo, and the illegality.  

So how many knots per sq inch, silk or wool?  

Now delete this thread before the ICE or DHS trolls see it.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I found Waldo, what do I win?

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#4]
D

Quoted:
If you are sending Persian ones home, best not to adverize the fact.  There is that little matter of the embargo, and the illegality.  

Sorry to burst your bubble, bro, but they are indeed legal to import...I checked ahead of time.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice. They have "carpet schools" all around the place in Egypt, too. I saw one I really liked that was similar to the first picture, except the red was in silk, so it shimmered. Didn't end up getting it, though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/tkoproductions/392841.jpg

jeez
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
D

Quoted:
If you are sending Persian ones home, best not to adverize the fact.  There is that little matter of the embargo, and the illegality.  

Sorry to burst your bubble, bro, but they are indeed legal to import...I checked ahead of time.

Guess they changed the rules in 2000.  

www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/import/commercial_enforcement/iranian_embargo_regs.xml

Dammit, I saw some abosultely awesome persian rugs in Qatar I would have bought.  Oh well, I'm sure I will have many more trips to the sandbox.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#8]
How can you tell what is good quality and what is garbage? I'm workin in Iraq now and there are a couple places here on post that sell rugs. Some of them look nice but I have no idea if they are worth it to buy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:47:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How can you tell what is good quality and what is garbage? I'm workin in Iraq now and there are a couple places here on post that sell rugs. Some of them look nice but I have no idea if they are worth it to buy.

How dense the knots per inch are, what it is made of (silk, wool, or combo) how intricate the design is, how vibrant the colors.  There are several famous rug making families in Iran that will "sign" their rugs, making them more valuable.  The biggest thing is finding one you like (design/colors) and making sure it is not synthetic (pull a few fibers off and hit them with a lighter, if it smells like burning hair its GTG, if its wilts up like plastic, its shit, and don't buy it.  The world of rugs is insane, I got an amazing education in Saudi, Oman, and Qatar from some merchants.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#10]
If I would have been smarter back in the 80's I would  have bought a few of those

Nice Rugs
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Dude...being stuck on post almost guarantees that you're not going to get a good deal...AAFES gets 17% of what the vendors make off of sales on camp...the vendors are going to pass that along to the customer, of course. Then you have to figure in the fact that the vendors know that "Joe" and "Jane" can't leave camp to shop elsewhere and they have a lot of money they're not able to spend anywhere...

All this leads to high, often outrageous, prices on camp... As a contractor, I've had the vendors on camp tell me they can give me a MUCH better deal at their shop in town and then mention the 17% deal they have with AAFES to get on camp. On the upside, the 17% goes to MWR projects...

Check with AAFES and MWR...sometimes they'll have vendors from off-camp come in and give classes on what to look for when buying a carpet. They have those classes here on Camp Buehring in Kuwait pretty regularly...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If I would have been smarter back in the 80's I would  have bought a few of those

Nice Rugs

And it would have been illegal at the time to import them.  Don't feel so bad.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the first one
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:12:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Nice Rugs

Thanks...

I've already got a deal in the works to trade the Tabriz for an AR-10...

I bought the Tabriz(the white & pink carpet) to take back to the  U.S. and sell to get the $$$ for an AR-10.

Well, mrsstinger saw the pictures of it and decided that she wanted to keep it.

I told her I would trade it to her straight-across for an Armalite AR10A4 and told her what one of those costs.

She said "DEAL!!!"...damn, I married a great woman...

Before any of you bash on me for that, keep in mind that I have already sent her a 38-gram 22karat gold necklace and took her on a 9-day trip to Ireland in the past few months.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:15:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice Rugs

And it would have been illegal at the time to import them.  Don't feel so bad.  

It was legal in '83
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:15:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I like the first one

Thanks...

It's going in my den/hobby room/trophy room/"man room" or whatever you want to call it when I get back.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#18]
dayum.......... them's some nice rugs.

my old man went through a "Persian carpet" phase when I was growing up. In Singapore, EVERY Sunday was a carpet auction day at the major hotels. Free food during the viewing, then an auction after lunch. We'd fill up on food, and only stay for the auction if there was anything my folks liked. He bought enough rugs to cover our tiny apt., so he sent a bunch back to the states for the grandparents. I still have a large Tabriz and a tribal in storage for when I buy my own place.....
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#19]
attention persian carpet whore btt...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you are sending Persian ones home, best not to advertize the fact.  There is that little matter of the embargo, and the illegality.  

Now delete this thread before the ICE or DHS trolls see it.  

The ban on persian carpets and pistachios was lifted by the govt. a couple of years ago as a gesture of good will toward the Iranian people.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:57:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Ahhh, yes.  Very nice...but how well do they fly?

Best regards & thanks for your service!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/tkoproductions/392841.jpg

only you mofo's here would find that shit,   ahahahahah i love it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Are they easy to pilot?

What is their max airspeed?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:20:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I like the one that says "ROOKET ANO KLABHENKOB."
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:24:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:19:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm amazed that there are so many grown men on this board that are into rugs. Weird...

I appreciate things of beauty/quality...whether it be attractive women, nice cars, quality built firearms, fine hand-made carpets, hand-crafted furniture, good Cuban cigars...

These carpets are actually pretty much works of art...Hell, the Nain I bought probably has between 1500 - 1700 man-hours of labor in it. Not to mention the person who made it had to have the skill to make all of the designs match on different parts of the carpet.

I'm simply taking advantage of an opportunity while I'm over here in "the sandbox" to get some nice carpets much cheaper here than back in the U.S.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:25:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:52:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm amazed that there are so many grown men on this board that are into rugs. Weird...

I appreciate things of beauty/quality...whether it be attractive women, nice cars, quality built firearms, fine hand-made carpets, hand-crafted furniture...

These carpets are actually pretty much works of art.

Hell, the Nain I bought probably has between 1500 - 1700 man-hours of labor in it. Not to mention the person who made it had to have the skill to make all of the designs match on different parts of the carpet.

Oh, I'm not saying that the rugs are crap or that if you have a rug in your house you're any less manly or anything, I've just never heard men sitting around talking about rugs before. It just struck me as a very odd thing to see here.

yall must have missed cugir's post of tjhe co-ed baby shower he is going too.  i swear I was at marthastewart.com not some gun site.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:04:17 AM EDT
[#29]
I want a prayer rug that has a big arrow on it labeled "Graceland"
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:07:43 AM EDT
[#30]
So if you got yourself a loom and made a rug while you are there would it technically be a Persian rug? Definitely made in Persia.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Here's some pictures from the carpet shop I deal with of ones I didn't buy...

A Qom...100% Silk...intended to be displayed on a wall.

Next are some Tabriz's...wool and silk...

Not sure what this one is, but it's awesome in person...it glows/color shifts lighter/darker depending what angle you look at it from...it would be great on a hardwood floor...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
So if you got yourself a loom and made a rug while you are there would it technically be a Persian rug? Definitely made in Persia.

Persia = Iran

I'm in Kuwait.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Dude...I get a chubby just looking at those rugs

My ex-brother-in-law used to work on a Korean flagged super tanker and on one of his visits home brought us a very nicely made silk carpet wall hanging thingy.

Unfortunately he is Korean and in Korea the more garish and the more colors the better.  You get extra points if the colors clash or are flourescent.  

Anyway, he bought us a wall hanging of a male peacock in full bloom that had more colors than a 64 color crayola box.  It was gastly looking but would go well next to velvet paintings of say, Elvis or hounds playing poker.

Needless to say, the ex got that in the divorce.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Persia = Iran

I'm in Kuwait.

I think Persia is anywhere they wear those curly toed shoes and make rugs.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice.  Now show us some of the flying ones.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top