Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 9:25:19 PM EDT
Got me an older Dell 500m today and im needing to get into it and repair the power connection. Anyone have a diagram of how to take this thing apart? Its cathing on the back side (hinge side) someplace and I cant see where. Got all the screws on the bottom and under the hinge cover and still cant see where... Anyone might know?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]
My guess would be a screw under a "void if removed sticker"
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Stickers removed, and nothing
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/grc7077/$FILE/hammer%20-%20sledge.jpg

NOooooooooooooooooooooooo, I got this for free and its a good. just the connector issue
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/grc7077/$FILE/hammer%20-%20sledge.jpg

NOooooooooooooooooooooooo, I got this for free and its a good. just the connector issue

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stickers removed, and nothing

Not one in the RAM compartment? Battery removed?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Its catching near the back side... Nothing under RAM or anyting thats appears that simple.. All peripheral removed (HDD, RAM. Battery and so on)
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Fiero - I love you brother.

but could you please stop the bold title thing? I mean, fire missions, news photos for gun nuts, breaking news, box o truth, that sort of thing earn the bold titles.

And sorry I can't help you with the computer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Fiero - I love you brother.

but could you please stop the bold title thing? I mean, fire missions, news photos for gun nuts, breaking news, box o truth, that sort of thing earn the bold titles.

And sorry I can't help you with the computer.

Just my thing.. Does it really bother people that much to see a bold font?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Looking at my HP,  I have atleast 2 screws on the back and it looks like it would catch on the screw mount om my printerand serial ports.  Other than that my last guess would be under the keyboard.

Goodluck
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Looking at my HP,  I have atleast 2 screws on the back and it looks like it would catch on the screw mount om my printerand serial ports.  Other than that my last guess would be under the keyboard.

Goodluck

Ill do some more digging later I guess...... Hmmmmm Off to go find a diagram online again  

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#12]
DOH!! Dell actually has all this online.. IM an idiot...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#13]
my Inspiron has been taken apart several times for fan replacement and resoldering the connection from the power jack to the motherboard and you pretty much have to remove every single screw and do some prying to get it completely apart. it's a little spooky the first time you do it but it gets easier the 2nd time and 3rd time
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#14]
A screw underneath the feet possibly....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Figured it out... Got 2 damn spare screws though... LOL!!! ill fix it tomorrow night when I have my soldering iron and put the 2 screws back in.. LOL!!

Still works fine though
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#16]
extra screws arn't a problem. I once took apart a power supply to really clean the insides out (even with just normally air blowing it I could smell electricity zapping lint (or burning lint) or something) and when I was done I was left with around 5 screws. Still worked fine. The outer case didn't fit as nice and tight as before, but that is only cosmetic.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1

Sorry...it's the only way....short of a microscope...

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:30:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Those are a total BITCH to put together and take apart!!!!

That is the "semi-compact" one of about 1 year ago?  

There ok, once you see all the damn screws.  LOL!!

I guess its compact.... 14.1" screen....  1.3Ghz CPU  small, but gets the job done...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:57:36 PM EDT
[#21]
No PCB is broke, its the actuall connector... Will be an easy fix.. Guess my time at ITT Tech will pay off.  LOL!!!

Aside from that, im liking this laptop... And cant beat FREE!!!

Ill work on in the next few days and ill also paint it while its apart... Mettalic orange and silver me thinks...

This orange
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top