Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:42:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#1]
They did it in the old days before they knew better. Hopefully everything will be okay.
At least it wasn't booze.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice work.

I hope the kid weighs more than 3 pounds.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was talking to a good friend of mine today and he told me that he discovered last night that his wife, who is 8 months pregnant with their first child, has been smoking a pack a day all through the pregnancy.

What kind of loser does something that they now will harm their child? He is livid and he doesn't know what to do. WTF?

He never kisses his wife ? Does he smoke ?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#4]
My mother smoked all through cerrying me and as a result I have suffered no ill efffffffffffffff...............

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know if there is anything that he can do.  

At least it wasn't alcohol
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#6]
My ex-wife did with our son   -- of course that was 19 years ago.

He was 6 pounds when he was born, most likely from the cigs.

Now he's 6' 4" and 195, so I guess it didn't hurt him in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was talking to a good friend of mine today and he told me that he discovered last night that his wife, who is 8 months pregnant with their first child, has been smoking a pack a day all through the pregnancy.

What kind of loser does something that they now will harm their child? He is livid and he doesn't know what to do. WTF?

He never kisses his wife ? Does he smoke ?

+1
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
DRAW DOWN.

IBN_T
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#9]
 My mother smoked while preggo with my and my brothers too.  I doubt we have any long term effects [or defects] but at least she wasn't advised not too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#10]
You know, contrary to popular belief, smoking does very little harm. Ask any real doctor who knows what they're talking about and they'll tell you that if you're pregnant, it's best to smoke as little as possible, or cut back.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 My mother smoked while preggo with my and my brothers too.  I doubt we have any long term effects [or defects] but at least she wasn't advised not too.

That explains sooooooooo much!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  I always blamed the

Patty
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
He does not smoke and he abhors it. He said he has never caught her outright but has found cigarrettes a few times over the years. She swore up and down that she had quit when they found out she was pregnant.

his sense of smell must be totally shot.
How the hell does a non-smoker not smell the stink?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  I always blamed the

Patty

What you do on your own time is your own business, honey.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He does not smoke and he abhors it. He said he has never caught her outright but has found cigarrettes a few times over the years. She swore up and down that she had quit when they found out she was pregnant.

his sense of smell must be totally shot.
How the hell does a non-smoker not smell the stink?

He needs to smell her fingers .
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#18]
sigh
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You know, contrary to popular belief, smoking does very little harm. Ask any real doctor who knows what they're talking about and they'll tell you that if you're pregnant, it's best to smoke as little as possible, or cut back.

Here is what a quick search found:

All the following can be caused by smoking during pregnancy.

Placenta Abruption
This condition is where the placenta pulls off the wall of the uterus either before or during labor, necessitating an immediate delivery, usually via cesarean. A smoker’s placenta is thinner, making it more susceptible to an abruption.

Placenta Previa
Again because of the smoker’s thin placenta, it is more likely to cover the mouth of the uterus, the cervix. This can cause bleeding during the pregnancy. It also makes vaginal birth dangerous and a cesarean becomes necessary due to the risk of hemorrhage of mom and baby.

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
Babies born to mothers who smoke are more likely to die from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).

Preterm Labor
If you smoke your body is more likely to try to end your pregnancy sooner in an effort to protect your baby from the harmful smoke. The problem? Babies born even slightly prematurely have a greater risk of death and other complications. The sooner the baby is born, the more likely you baby is to die or have serious complications, including mental retardation and cerebral palsy.

Stillbirth
Smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of your baby dying during your pregnancy.

Low Birth Weight
Birth weight is an important factor in your baby’s health. The smaller the baby, the more at risk for many problems. In fact, low birth weight is one of the top reasons for babies to be ill and die in the first months of life.

Colic
Recent studies show that if you smoke your baby is more likely to have colic.

Respiratory Infections
If you smoked during pregnancy or if your baby is surrounded by second hand smoke, your baby will be more likely to be ill, have asthma and other respiratory problems.

Premature Rupture of Membranes (PROM)
Your water breaking too early is another risk of smoking in pregnancy. It can also lead to premature birth.

Miscarriage
If you smoke, you could have trouble staying pregnant. It can also decrease your fertility.

Thats exactly what I mean. Popular belief.

You know as well as I that statistics like that can be manipulated to make a certain point. Like anti's gun stats.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the effects about smoking while pregnant are overblown. My Mom smoked and none of my siblings came out as mutants.

It is a powerful addiction, so I can understand why some women can't give up their smokes while pregnant.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife is a NICU (Neo-natal Intensive Care) RN......................smoking while prergnant is bad mojo.

Even worse is moms who feed thier meth habit while pregnant. The wife says the worst thing in the world is watching a 3lb baby withdrawing from meth. Then the "moms" are shocked when CPS takes the kid away. WTF is wrong with people????

ETA: I'm not dogging the above posters whose mothers smoked cigs. I just know it can cause low birth weights which might compound other problems. If the above posters mothers used meth,.....well then yeah...I'm doggin ya.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

De Nile is not just a river in Egypt.

Since she's lying about smoking,  is he sure that he is the father?  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

All the following can be caused by smoking during pregnancy. Can be , not will be
Placenta Abruption
This condition is where the placenta pulls off the wall of the uterus either before or during labor, necessitating an immediate delivery, usually via cesarean. A smoker’s placenta is thinner, making it more susceptible to an abruption.

Placenta Previa
Again because of the smoker’s thin placenta, it is more likely to cover the mouth of the uterus, the cervix. This can cause bleeding during the pregnancy. It also makes vaginal birth dangerous and a cesarean becomes necessary due to the risk of hemorrhage of mom and baby.

Babies born to mothers who smoke are more likely to die from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).

Preterm Labor
If you smoke your body is more likely to try to end your pregnancy sooner in an effort to protect your baby from the harmful smoke. The problem? Babies born even slightly prematurely have a greater risk of death and other complications. The sooner the baby is born, the more likely you baby is to die or have serious complications, including mental retardation and cerebral palsy.

Stillbirth
Smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of your baby dying during your pregnancy.

Low Birth Weight
Birth weight is an important factor in your baby’s health. The smaller the baby, the more at risk for many problems. In fact, low birth weight is one of the top reasons for babies to be ill and die in the first months of life.

Colic

Respiratory Infections
If you smoked during pregnancy or if your baby is surrounded by second hand smoke, your baby will be more likely to be ill, have asthma and other respiratory problems.

Your water breaking too early is another risk of smoking in pregnancy. It can also lead to premature birth.

Miscarriage
If you smoke, you could have trouble staying pregnant. It can also decrease your fertility.

My mom smoked for my sister and I, and we're "normal"......My wife smoked with my two girls, and they are way ahead of other kids in their developmental milestones.....was I happy that she smoked? hell no, but you gotta choose your battles...............My sister, was a total screw-up, she smoked CRACK for her first tri-mester, and weed and cigs for her other two tri-mesters....my niece is in the talented and gifted program in her school........one of my good friends, his girlfriend got pregnant, she didn't smoke, never did any drugs, and never drank during pregnancy....her baby was born with a hole in her heart, and a club foot......poor little girl had 2 open heart surgeries before the age of 18 months....not to mention the surgeries for her foot.....

So, I'm soory, if I don't put much stock in "the Surgeon General's Warning" on every pack of smokes.....yeah, yeah, we know cigarettes are noxious and harmful, but not everyone gets cancer, or emphysema, or whatever....so now what?.....................(oh, I quit smoking 13 years ago)
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What kind of loser does something that they now will harm their child?

My ex-wife.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Smokes are the pestilance of the earth.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Smokes are the pestilance of the earth.

I agree, but smokers are sending my daughter to college.......
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#31]
There was a time when we didn't have seatbelts,
and women smoked when pregnant.

How did the republic ever survive?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All the following can be caused by smoking during pregnancy.

Placenta Abruption

Placenta Previa

Preterm Labor

Stillbirth

Low Birth Weight

Colic

Respiratory Infections

Miscarriage

Thats exactly what I mean. Popular belief.

You know as well as I that statistics like that can be manipulated to make a certain point. Like anti's gun stats.

Ok.....but why take a chance with your unborn child?

Very true. I completely agree. But all I'm saying is that if a woman does choose to smoke, it's not as bad as most people think and they don't deserve an iron-fist beat down.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

If his situational awareness is any indication to his soon to be parental practices, add one more notch to people I'll be paying to house in prison.

How the hell do you not notice someone is smoking a pack a day?

Too bad that the child has to suffer.

ETA: Didn't think that it might possibly not be his child, see first post on this page.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If his situational awareness is any indication to his soon to be parental practices, add one more notch to people I'll be paying to house in prison.

How the hell do you not notice someone is smoking a pack a day?

Too bad that the child has to suffer.

ETA: Didn't think that it might possibly not be his child, see first post on this page.

Well, someone posted a stat a few weeks ago that nearly 25% of babies are fathered by a man other than the husband.  Judging by her dishonesty and inability to control urges, I wouldn't be surprised.

The dishonesty is one thing - hiding the habit because she can't face the music for her inability to quit the drug is fucking pathetic.  She is pregnant, and it's whole different ballgame - you can't quit on your own, you act like a fucking adult and seek help.  What you don't do is act like a sniveling cunt and hide that shit from your husband.  Damn.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
They did it in the old days before they knew better. Hopefully everything will be okay.
At least it wasn't booze.

Yeah no kidding.  Friend that I work with we were recently talking and he was saying how he had pictures of this mom having a smoke in the hospital room after his delivery.  This was the late 60's mind you, when Amerika was still free.  BTW he is 6'-8" and 300lbs.  Didnt seem to affect him any.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#36]
In the 60s' docs' would round with the chart in one hand, and a smoke in the other. There were ashtrays at the nurses station........

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Anyone remember this pic?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
mediapickle.com/content/pics_87963861/Mediapickle_Presents_smoking-pregnant.jpg

Anyone remember this pic?

This was the first place I saw it. Seems like the paper may have done that intentionally.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I think the effects about smoking while pregnant are overblown. My Mom smoked and none of my siblings came out as mutants.

It is a powerful addiction, so I can understand why some women can't give up their smokes while pregnant.

My Mom never smoked, but my wife and I smoked during her child bearing years with no known ill effect. Both my sons were full term, natural brith and good sized.
Daughter-in-law smoked with both my grandsons too.
I quit smoking 20 years ago this summer. Never dipped either. Do drink beer though!    
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
In the 60s' docs' would round with the chart in one hand, and a smoke in the other. There were ashtrays at the nurses station........

i2.tinypic.com/t561d4.jpg

Meh, my mother smoked like a chimney when she was pregnant with me. I was a little over 9 lbs at birth and I’m 6’7” 230 now…  I don’t know. It does seem like there’s quite a few more teenagers that are my size or larger these days. It may be that I’m atypical of smokers’ children.

Things were a bit different in the 70s
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd make her know how DEADLY SERIOUS I AM ABOUT HER NOT SMOKING WITH MY CHILD IN HER WOMB.

I'd say it like this...  "If my kid comes out less than perfectly healthy, I will never forgive YOU.  If my kid dies as a result of your smoking, I will never forgive you.  Quit now.  No jokes.  No second chances.  Do it. "

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

And people used to think the world was flat.  What's your point?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not suprised not everyone is agreement about this...We had a thread a few years ago about taking expecting mothers to the shooting range...IIRC some people thought it was perfectly OK to take a woman in late term pregnancy to the range
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

De Nile is not just a river in Egypt.

Since she's lying about smoking,  is he sure that he is the father?  

No doubt. He should get a paternity test NOW!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Does she chew on old paint chips too?

Honestly, I hate to see it, but at least it's not alcohol, crack, meth, ecstasy or prescription drug abuse.

Ever seen a baby born with a blood alcohol level  (BAC) or test positive for Cocaine?

I had one fetal death where momma was sniffing gold paint. Caused a placental abruption at 7 months. To this day  I think it was deliberate.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just pointing out the irony.....christ.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:57:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just pointing out the irony.....christ.

+
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:11:00 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
There was a time when we didn't have seatbelts,
and women smoked when pregnant.

How did the republic ever survive?

I was a war baby, born in 1945.  Everybody smoked in those days.  All doctors smoked.  There was no air conditioning; only one grade of gasoline; movies cost a dime; everyone was on the same team; no nanny state, no constant bitching about George Bush; women wore silk stockings; bras were uncommon;  kids palyed outdoors and came home when it was dark .... and yes, somehow we all survived.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:38:23 AM EDT
[#49]
WOW, call the police immediately.  Crime on an unborn child.  I'm sure some of you would like it to be that way.

Sorry, but while the effects may have been proven, I'm fine.  Seriously, I'm fine.  My mother smoked over 2 packs a day while pregnant with me.  My sister, same thing.

Strange that in the 1970s everything was "OK" and we were considered well into the "average" birth weight range when my sister and I hit the world.  

Not saying its good, but come on.  

I guess my whole issue would be her lying.  How does she smoke a pack a day (20 cigarettes) and the smell is not detected by her husband?  If I even think of a cigarette my wife can smell it on me.  Is his nose broken or did she mask it with layers of perfume and tons of mouthwash?  Its hard to hide the smell of a cigarette especially on the breath.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:42:22 AM EDT
[#50]
I've given this subject a lot of reflection, and here's my conclusion:

Some people are really self centered and fucking stupid.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top