Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 4:17:10 PM EDT
When I do office procedures I sometimes will give nervous patients some valium to calm them down.  The effects have been totally hilarious.

I have received 2 marriage proposals.    Said no of course.  I dont buy what I cant test drive.
Lots of giggling and laughing.  
Requests for more.  Many requests.

I can see why people get addicted to it.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never heard of a doctor giving valium to nervous patients during office visits. Is that a normal practice or are you just everyone's "favorite" doctor?

James
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Doc, you have to drug women to get them to propose?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
So thats why my wife was so happy when she came home.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So thats why my wife was so happy when she came home.

Acually it was the cabana boy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting.  The last time (many years ago) I was given Valium, it made me very aggressive.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Diazepam = Awesome
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#8]
5 years ago when I really screwed my back up I went to the emergency room and they gave me an IV.  They first pushed in tordall (sic) and then pushed in some IV valium.  It kinda burned going up my arm and then it gave me a hell of a buzz.  My wife said I was like I was really really drunk.  Quite a ride.  My back still hurt but I didn't care one bit...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Vallium is cool but if you want shits and giggles, give them Nitros. (NOX) I have had older women with FX of a hip take a few good hits and want to get naked for me. Eeeeee u.
Had a gal about 40 with a humerus Fx a few years ago that I used the NOX on she was so messed up that when we walked into ER she was telling everyone in a very LOUD voice how fucked up I got her. Now when I say LOUD I MEAN LOUD. People in triage were asking the Nurse for what ever that lady they could hear had had. (drug shoppers). Even the ER Docs were Rolling. She latched onto the tank and we had to wait for the Docs. to sedate her to get it back.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have never heard of a doctor giving valium to nervous patients during office visits. Is that a normal practice or are you just everyone's "favorite" doctor?

James

Its only when do office surgery on the patients.  It usually involves pain and blood.  Some patients cant stomach it.  Valium does wonders to relax the patients.  Also with NOX and other gases you might get really bad effects that arent expected.  A lot less with valium.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Versed is cool too

I had hernia surgery in January. After a nice syringe full of Versed into my IV, I was feeling fine. I do remember loudly telling everyone in the OR that it looked like the service bay at a Jiffy Lube. Got a few laughs from that -- then I blacked out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
injectable valium and versed
ETA: ARDOC, I'll take a few thousand cc's
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
When I do office procedures I sometimes will give nervous patients some valium to calm them down.  The effects have been totally hilarious.

I have received 2 marriage proposals.    Said no of course.  I dont buy what I cant test drive.

when i was much younger i worked in a pharmacy and basically had access to whatever i needed. in college i had a hard time sleeping alot so i took valium for a while to help me to sleep. got to the point i was taking 20mgs at bedtime. as a recreational drug it sucks as far as i am concerned. but i can understand how people get addicted. it has a pretty long half life. so when you stop taking it it takes a while before the effects of not having it kick in. for me it was just the complete inability to sleep for a couple of weeks. but it was very very hard to not start taking them again. in its way a very insidious drug. at one time i think it was the most prescribed drug. docs would give it to anyone for anything..
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I order it for patients getting MRI scans.  Cures clausterphobia pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#15]
The one time I had surgery on my leg, I remember lifting the shirt of a nurse to get a better look.  The OR was cracking up.  

She was smoking too.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

when i was much younger i worked in a pharmacy and basically had access to whatever i needed. in college i had a hard time sleeping alot so i took valium for a while to help me to sleep. got to the point i was taking 20mgs at bedtime. as a recreational drug it sucks as far as i am concerned. but i can understand how people get addicted. it has a pretty long half life. so when you stop taking it it takes a while before the effects of not having it kick in. for me it was just the complete inability to sleep for a couple of weeks. but it was very very hard to not start taking them again. in its way a very insidious drug. at one time i think it was the most prescribed drug. docs would give it to anyone for anything..

That'll get a pharmacy in trouble. DEA has no sense of humor when the numbers are off.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I've used it twice this week to treat organophosphate poisoning in dogs.

No marriage proposals yet, but I'll keep everyone posted.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Valium or Ativan?

I usually give 0.5 to 2 Mg Ativan pre-procedure.    Seemed to work quicker.

One attending I worked with did it enough that she had a bulk bottle in the office.  Gave a stapled shut paper cup with one or two pills inside.  Told the patient not to drive...take one 1/2 hour before the appointment, or if given two, take one 1 hour before and the other 10 minutes before you got to the office.

AFARR

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

-Hobbit

Perfect if you like doggie style.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That'll get a pharmacy in trouble. DEA has no sense of humor when the numbers are off.

This was in the early 70s. DEA.. no. DEA dont police local pharmacies. In GA anyway. Thats done by a local crew of state pharmacy inspectors of which there were around 12 or 14 in the early 70s to cover all the pharmcies in ga, including hospital pharmacies. and i wasnt selling or giving them away, i got a few and took them for a few months for sleep. today is much different. most pharmacies chains aniways keep surviellance cameras in the pharmacies and do other things to keep diversion down. but in the old days if you knew the right person or worked in a drugstore it was not hard to get things. i never got scripts for infections, cough, colds etc.. i just had the pharmacist give me whatever the local docs where perscribing at the time... like i said different times. in some ways i wish it was still like that. you should be able to go into a drugstore and ask for some things like antibiotics and not have to see a doc...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

-Hobbit

LMAO
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Valium is nice, but I prefer demerol.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Valium is nice, but I prefer demerol.

worthless..

if narcotic analgesics are your fancy
methadone, oxycodone, hydrocodone, diecytlmorphine, morphine, and the ruskies fav for instantly anesthetizing terrorists while killing their hostages.. fentanyl.. the stuff that kilt michael tata and domino (both interestingly from vegas).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top