Page / 2
Posted: 4/5/2006 3:41:19 PM EDT
Jesus Could Have Walked on Ice, Scientist Says
By Sara Goudarzi
LiveScience Staff Writer
posted: 04 April 2006
12:03 pm ET
http://www.livescience.com/othernews/060404_jesus_ice.html

Rare conditions could have conspired to create hard-to-see ice on the Sea of Galilee that a person could have walked on back when Jesus is said to have walked on water, a scientist said today.

The study, which examines a combination of favorable water and environmental conditions, proposes that Jesus could have walked on an isolated patch of floating ice on what is now known as Lake Kinneret in northern Israel.

Looking at temperature records of the Mediterranean Sea surface and using analytical ice and statistical models, scientists considered a small section of the cold freshwater surface of the lake. The area studied, about 10,000 square feet, was near salty springs that empty into it.

The results suggest temperatures dropped to 25 degrees Fahrenheit (-4 degrees Celsius) during one of the two cold periods 2,500 –1,500 years ago for up to two days, the same decades during which Jesus lived.

With such conditions, a floating patch of ice could develop above the plumes resulting from the salty springs along the lake's western shore in Tabgha. Tabgha is the town where many archeological findings related to Jesus have been found.

"We simply explain that unique freezing processes probably happened in that region only a handful of times during the last 12,000 years," said Doron Nof, a Florida State University Professor of Oceanography. "We leave to others the question of whether or not our research explains the biblical account."

Nof figures that in the last 120 centuries, the odds of such conditions on the low latitude Lake Kinneret are most likely 1-in-1,000. But during the time period when Jesus lived, such “spring ice” may have formed once every 30 to 60 years.

Such floating ice in the unfrozen waters of the lake would be hard to spot, especially if rain had smoothed its surface.

"In today's climate, the chance of springs ice forming in northern Israel is effectively zero, or about once in more than 10,000 years," Nof said.

The findings are detailed in the April 2006 Journal of Paleolimnology

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Well there you have it, scientific proof.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#3]
People waste time on shit like this?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1...    ETA: Wonder how much $ they spent on this...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1...  

about as convincing as some ancient scrolls
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]
We all know none of that shit happened anyway.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#8]
If they are so shure there is no God why do they have to go to such lengths to prove it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
roflol.

people will say anything to deny His divinity.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
So a SPECIFIC set of circumstances COULD have made ice POSSIBLY when Jesus was alive IF thes conditions were SPECIFICALY met

Thats it throw in the towel
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If they are so shure there is no God why do they have to go to such lengths to prove it.

yes because holy rollers are so thickheaded that it requires extreme lengths.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
roflol.

Not 1/100th as much as those using science to "prove" the shroud of torin, noah's ark, etc.   Not 100,000th as much as those creating collegiate degrees from schools of divinity, religious studies, etc.

What amuses me is those who argue against science trying to use science then coming up with some bullshit science to prove their case and calling it "Intelligent Design"  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I officially raise the flag on this; do you happen to realize all the variants that had to be in place for that to actually happen?

That's atheist BS.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So a SPECIFIC set of circumstances COULD have made ice POSSIBLY when Jesus was alive IF thes conditions were SPECIFICALY met

Thats it throw in the towel

I cant think of any other convincing arguments to show how he could have done it otherwise.  perhaps some dutchmen came down and supplied him with oversized balsa wood clogs?

Quoted:
I officially raise the flag on this; do you happen to realize all the variants that had to be in place for that to actually happen?

That's atheist BS.

as opposed to religious bullshit?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Even Coach BEAR BRYANT couldn't walk on water.  (I once personaly saw him sink up to his ankles !!)

5sub
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does anyone else see the irony?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1

With all the important things scientists could be doing that would actually be beneficial, why would they waste time debunking the bible.

Honestly, I don't give a shit if he walked on water or not.

Maybe if they were developing shoes that would enable ME to walk on water...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Even Coach BEAR BRYANT couldn't walk on water.  (I once personaly saw him sink up to his ankles !!)

5sub

YOU LIE!!!!

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

assholes that have different beliefs trying to convince eachother that theirs is in fact correct?  yeah this sort of thing has been going on since oh about forever
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course not.

We're holy rollers.  We're stupid.

Don't you know?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Of course not.

We're holy rollers.  We're stupid.

Don't you know?

no, you're not stupid, just old and stubborn and own a really spiffy box
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

5sub

YOU LIE!!!!

hehehehe
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#23]
This reminds me of bible thumpers that were using science to say that they found proof that Moses parted the red sea. Im never going to convince religious people that stuff in the bible didnt happen and religious people will never convince me otherwise. Just like we will never convince the ROP that it is ok to eat bacon and they wont get 73 virgins for blowing themselfs up. Ive stopped trying to argue it with people. Honestly it doesnt matter that my neighbor goes to church every sunday. Now if they want to come over and try to convert me and get on their moral high horse then i get angry. Dont push your religion on me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Oh know, my faith has been shattered....oh wait..... that was the indigestion from eating bean dip.

He is still my Savior.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I've never had atheists knock on my door trying to prove their beliefs to me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#27]
THE DEVIL OWNS TLC AND DICOVERY CHANNEL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
ALL THEY WANT TO DO IS DISPROVE ANYTHING HAVING TO DO WITH
[
b]CHRIST
I dont see them disproving islam or hindu stuff or scientology only Christianity WHY,,, I want that answer

its because they dringk the devils koolaid

Hanna Chakarji

P.S I dont let my nephews watch this shit or any crap like it
its all EVIL
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#28]
The things people will do for funding.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
roflol.

Only the true Messiah has his divinity denied!

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#30]
How's that stupid saying go?...

"If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle."

Seems like a lot of "what ifs" to try and show how a miracle worked.  If they don't believe it happened then they should just say "I call bullshit" in true ArfCom fashion.  

It's so much easier, honest and statistically easier to accept.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

5sub

Bill Brasky could.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Well frozen or not he did walk on water.  Symantics.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
THE DEVIL OWNS TLC AND DICOVERY CHANNEL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
[
b]CHRIST
I dont see them disproving islam or hindu stuff or scientology only Christianity WHY,,, I want that answer

Hanna Chakarji

its all EVIL

You should actually be flattered.  Christianity is the only religion anyone thinks is worth trying to disprove.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Better than wasting time and MONEY on the study of champaign bubbles
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I hear and see far more people trying to convince others God, Jesus, etc existed than anyone saying they don't. Far more.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#36]
While I find the study of the frozen water in such a warm place interesting, I just don't equate any of it to Jesus walking on water.  

It's in the bible, you believe it or not.  Your choice.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1...  

lol
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
5sub

Bill Brasky could.

Who are they? (don't answer "coaches") What sport(s)? team(s)? era(s)?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#39]
You're kidding, right?

It might have been hypothetically possible for thin pockets of ice to appear in just the right circumstances for Jesus to just conveniently walk on. Wow, I'm just shocked. Quite frankly, I'm not entirely sure what would be more of a miracle: that Jesus acutally did walk on water, or that all those situational requirements just happened to come together at the right time, in the right place, in the right way, and nobody noticed.

I suppose it's also technically hypothetically possible that several stray meteorites actually killed Kennedy, and Oswald just happened to be cleaning his Manlicher-Carcano while juggling shell casings in that book depository. Gee, must be proof that Oswald was innocent..........or, not.

I wonder if you see the irony in what you're saying: you lambast those "idiot Christians" for using akward and/or improbable scientific arguments to further their claims, but at the same time post absolutely laughable arguments like this.

(BTW, the controversy of the Shroud of Turin was started when scientists who were trying to disprove it's Divine origins got some rather profound results, not the other way around as you so adamatly - and ignorantly - proclaim).
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Wait a minute, you're telling me after all this time that stray meteorites did NOT kill President Kennedy?  hock.gif
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never had atheists knock on my door trying to prove their beliefs to me.

You do, however find them suing the government to remove the teaching of the"possibility of divine creation and a supreme being" from our schools,  "in GOD we trust" from our currency, prayers from our public meeting places and schools, any/all religious symbols and symbolism from our society, culture, and country.  Just because their delicate sensiblities are offended...never mind that our founding fathers established this country as a "nation under GOD."

"But at least they are not knocking on my door."

Talk about the tail wagging the dog.  

sst7
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#42]
^
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
[
b]CHRIST

Hanna Chakarji

its all EVIL

Faith is something that can never be disproven. You should know this.

...and to say that TLC and Discovery and all the other educational and informative channels out there are evil is your opinion and yours alone. We all have the right to choose. I myself like those channels. Modern Marvels, Mega Structures, all the stuff on Discovery Times ch., and of course, my own personal MECCA....THE MILITARY CHANNEL! Dont ya just love Direct TV?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#45]
The only thing more ridiculous than people actually believing mythology as fact is when some scientists get together and come up with some absurdly unlikely scenario such as this one or freak windstorms which may have parted the Red Sea.

Memo to BOTH GROUPS: It never happened, please adjust.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#46]

The results suggest temperatures dropped to 25 degrees Fahrenheit (-4 degrees Celsius) during one of the two cold periods 2,500 –1,500 years ago for up to two days, the same decades during which Jesus lived.

and the thing explaining how the  red sea could have been parted with gale forces winds pushing water away from sub sea mountain tops

I am pretty much a agnostic bordering on atheist , but um  but doesn't  showing how these things were possible , but only under very exact conditions kinda proves that God probably had to have somethingg to do with both incidents  or they were both just really convient coincidences
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The only thing more ridiculous than people actually believing mythology as fact is when some scientists get together and come up with some absurdly unlikely scenario such as this one or freak windstorms which may have parted the Red Sea.

Memo to BOTH GROUPS: It never happened, please adjust.

Since none of us were there, how can anyone say what happened.  You either believe that the Biblical account is truth and the inspired Word of God or you don't.  Simple as that.  Believe as you like...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Believe or not, 1 thing's for certain, Jesus is the most influencial person to ever walk the earth. We'll see if anyone's remember's us or our family's names 2 thousand years from now, much less worships them.

There's not a person alive on this earth today who will be remembered thousands of years from now aside from some misc. name mentioned in a history book................

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1...  

lol

But without a doubt there's a lot of history you believe and don't doubt that is nothing more but words on a scroll.
As if everyone doesn't believe many things of the past based on faith in what they've read or been told.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top