Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2001 7:12:59 PM EDT
Ok, I was in a local gun store today, and one of the guys had a Wilsons catalog. All those puuurty pistols !!!! I fell in love with the CQB, black and od green armor-tuff finish. coool !!!
So I was wondering, are these pistols (wilson,baer,etc...) worth the cash ???
anyone have one...comments please.
[):)]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The customer service is worth the cash.  The great pistols are just a bonus!  [;)]

EDIT:  You may want to check out their forum:
[url]http://www.wilsoncombat.com/forum/[/url]

EDITED again 'cause I forgot the url codes like I always do....
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think I'd pay what Wilson wants for a pistol.  He's pretty proud of his guns, which are just Kimber slides and frames with Wilson parts tacked on.  For the same money (or less) you can get a really nice Les Baer, which IS worth the money.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
wilson =$1000 guns and $1000 name
les baer =$1500 guns and $2000 name

dont pay for the name
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you oughta re-check the price list- Wilson doesn't have much for anywhere near $1000, and some of his guns run well over $2000.  

Baer makes the majority of his parts in-house, while Wilson buys his from vendors and slaps his name on them.  Big difference in quality control.  Wilson guns may be nice, but my opinion is they're not worth anywhere near what he charges for them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:05:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a pistol that was customised by Wilson's.
It easily outshoots every factory 1911 I have ever fired. Easily shoots one hole groups.
Everyone who shoots my Wilson Combat 1911 shoots well with it.
The whole gun is so tight fitting you would think it would be unreliable but it has never failed to work.
Mine was customised on a Colt 1911 I had bought a few years ago, not one of their package guns.
I often think about getting another 1911 from them but the Semi Auto Rifle Bug has bitten and is eating up all of my gun money right now.

Here is a pic of mine:
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=182940&a=13371793&p=17337550&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I own both the Wilson Combat CQB and a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special.  Both of them are excellent guns and I've never had a problem with either of them.  I will say that the Baer is a lot tighter from the factory than the Wilson, but performance wise, both of them are great.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#7]
It has been said that pistols don't need to be as tight as the LB's to be accurate.  This *can* adversely effect reliability.

WC fits their pistols "right and not tight."  In 1911's 90+% of accuracy comes from barrel bushing and lock up fitting.  It's debatable what a small percentage of accuracy comes from slide tightening (I've heard 15-5%).

If WC pistols are "looser" than LB's but still as accurate, which I believe they are, then go with the WC gun if you're looking for a combat or defensive arm.  At least IMHO.

Another thing to consider is customer service.  I've heard good and bad about LB, but NOTHING BUT POSTIVE RAVES about WC customer service.  I believe they recently won a very prestigious customer service award.

Check out the WC forum and also www.pistolsmith.com.

If you're going to be spending $1,500-2,500 on a 1911, you may also want to consider getting a semi custom from someone like Dane Burns at Burns Custom Pistols (http://www.burnscustom.com/).  He's a great guy and knows a great deal about 1911's.  He owns Pistolsmith.com, but still promotes other pistolsmiths, sometimes even over himself.

I would LOVE a BCP 1911.  Even a semi-custom.  Dane does have some semi-customs available through Terry Peters.  His full house customs may take up to 4-5 years to receive due to the wait list (get on it!).  Terry is also a WC master dealer, so he has a ton of WC's for sale as well.

Good luck.  Let us know what you decide to get!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top