Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 3:05:49 PM EDT
So my friend's mom died and he is selling her riding mower. It basically unused, garage kept, the red plastic is a little faded, it has the rear bagger.

It is a Honda Harmony, no idea what model, about 6yrs old. he said new it was around $2300 But he will let me have it for $500-$600.

That is pretty darn cheap and I know Honda makes good gens and cars, but I don't think I have ever even see a Honda riding mower around these parts.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Honda quit making riders about3 years ago. They were the most expensive riders on the consumer market, and didn't sell well in many areas, simply because of price. Our Honda Rep told us at the time that Honda had 2 choices, either cheapen them up to be competitive in the price market, or quit making riders. That was the end of the riders....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on how much lawn you have to cut , I would go with the Honda Masters series (if Honda still makes them). I had the Honda Master with the hydrostatic transmission. Only draw back was the 21" cut. If you have to cut a rather large lawn, my choice would be a commercial Exmark walk behind.  I move up to the Exmark 48" walk behind and will never look back.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder how hard it would be to get parts for it? Like does it use a common blade or is it one of those that only a Honder rider uses. That would be my main concern if I was buying it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
"Right on" with what everyone has mentioned, but for $500 and little used, plus it has the bagger attachment... I'd be a fool not to grab it, if the quality is there. Better than the Bolean walk behind I have (which never, ever fails, and starts on the first pull)... But it gets damn hot here, the quicker I can get it done the better.

ETA: About .35 ache. Speed is what I'm after.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So my friend's mom died and he is selling her riding mower. It basically unused, garage kept, the red plastic is a little faded, it has the rear bagger.

It is a Honda Harmony, no idea what model, about 6yrs old. he said new it was around $2300 But he will let me have it for $500-$600.

That is pretty darn cheap and I know Honda makes good gens and cars, but I don't think I have ever even see a Honda riding mower around these parts.

Yeah, that's the one I had.  13HP (I think), two blades... the fucktards who designed it decided belt drive (for the drivetrain) was a good idea.  Of course, they didn't protect the belt very well... I had a lot of problems with the belts falling off, but other than that, it wasn't horrible.

ETA: We sold that POS for $700 with a rear bagger attachement.  The bagging attachment was very poorly designed.  The bag frames became bent and didn't stay on very well, I think they were about $120 each to replace the bags.  After about 5 seasons, the bags started to tear.  The bagging attachment requires frequent mowing, or very slow mowing.  You can't mow when it's wet or it'll clog the chute faster than Rosie O'Donald's arteries.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#7]
No sweat, I plan on using the mulching blades or just the side discharge... Your belt problem seems of concern though. Thanks.

Don't mow when its wet not matter... Hell it clogs my current mower and it trashes the yard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top