Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 1:44:32 PM EDT
Everyone I have known who slowly died in the hospital saw and talked to people who are already dead.  It actually comforts them to talk to these "spirits".

I have heard a lot of stories from people who work in nursing homes and hospitals who say that there are A LOT of dying people who see and talk to people who aren't there.  

My grandmother had a tumor removed from her brain and for the remaining 4 months of her life, she spoke to people who were already dead.  She had in-depth conversations with my grandfather (dead for 5 years).  She would just start talking to someone like they were there in the room with her.  The weird part is, they always seemed like two-way conversations.

I had an aunt who died of cancer who did the same thing... talked to/saw dead people.

A nurse at the nursing home where my grandmother was kept told my dad about her seeing a man outside her window pruning a rose bush.  She described the man, including what he was wearing.  The nurse said that there was a man who lived there that died 3 years earlier who used to take care of the roses and he matched her description.  That was, by far, the strangest occurance since she did not know the dead person prior to "seeing" them.

Is there something to this phenomenon?  

I'm sure some of you have stories as well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Just before death, the body releases a whole host of endorphines. Quite literally, the dying person starts tripping.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Hallucinations.  Pain medications.  Electrolyte imbalances.  Etc.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just before death, the body releases a whole host of endorphines. Quite literally, the dying person starts tripping.

So this happens months before the person dies?

I'm not talking about RIGHT at the time of death.  Usually this stuff occurs for weeks or months before the person dies.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
because the already-dead people welcome him/her to get onboard.

No kidding, I believe in ghosts. They do exist.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not talking about RIGHT at the time of death.  Usually this stuff occurs for weeks or months before the person dies.

I'll tag.....but I'm skeptical.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, in that case, I'll go with the Doc's answer.

Hell, I'm not discounting the existance of ghosts/spirits/etc, but I think that there is a more logical explaination. Are these people all whacked out on goofballs to ease their pain?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Crazy people see and hear crazy things. That's what makes being delusional so much fun. People who are close to death and medicated see whatever their minds will let them see. People believe in ghosts because it affirms a "life" after death. Who doesn't want to live forever in the happy place? I'm a firm believer that dead is dead and once you are dead, you won't be seen or heard from again.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting topic. I don't have any experience of this myself, but am very interested in seeing where this goes.

(another way of saying 'tag')

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, in that case, I'll go with the Doc's answer.

Hell, I'm not discounting the existance of ghosts/spirits/etc, but I think that there is a more logical explaination. Are these people all whacked out on goofballs to ease their pain?

I dismissed the stories as halucinations caused by pain meds, until the rose trimmer story.  She described the guy right down to the gloves he was wearing.

How could she see someone whom she had never met if it was just a halucination?  Since then I have wondered if there is more to it than what logic can explain.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
tsg
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Why does a hemi cuda have a posi-track rear end...?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Same reason people dream about stuff they think and believe.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Cool analogy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I believe this is correct.

And, as a New Testament Christian, I can tell you that there is no scriptual basis for "talking to dead folks".

"It is appointed unto man once to die.  And after this, the Judgement."
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#15]
You could talk about this subject forever and buy books on the subject. Some people believe that a spiritual world exists and that everyone has a soul which has a place in eternity. We won't really know everything until we break on through to the other side.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Interesting subject.  My Grand Mother would speak with dead relatives.  As far as depending on "logic" to explain this, one will probably come to a dead end.  Logic is good for some problem solving and inadequate for what is beyond the ego.  Discursive thought is not the epitome.  Just word constructs.  For example:  If God can do anything, can he create a rock that is so heavy that He can't lift it?  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It just does.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe this is correct.

And, as a New Testament Christian, I can tell you that there is no scriptual basis for "talking to dead folks".

"It is appointed unto man once to die.  And after this, the Judgement."

+ eleventy billion. and if the spirits can give out detailed information about a person, then I woiuld say its
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It just does.

Some would say it is there to make it easier to turn...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#20]
After battling lung cancer for 13 months, my dad died this past November. He was in the hospital for about 2 weeks at the end. The last time that he was concious, he kept fighting to take of his oxygen mask because he said that it was causing him to not be able to breath. I finally quit arguing with him to put it back on and just let him take it off. I was sitting on the bed with him and he looked at me and said, "I fought hard didn't I?" I told him that he fought damn hard. He just shook his head up and down. He sat there for a couple of minutes with his eyes closed and didn't say anything. Without opening his eyes he said, "I see an angel". I wasn't sure that I understood him, so I asked what he said. He said again, "I see an angel". I said "What does it look like daddy?" He said, "It looks good." That was the last thing he ever said. He held on for about 36 more hours, but never regained conciousness. My dad never mentioned angels or seeing dead people up until right before he lost conciousness for the last time. I have never been one to buy into ghosts and alot of spiritual stuff, but that really stuck with me. Maybe it was the morphine, endorphines, or whatever, but maybe right before we go, someone comes to get us.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
After battling lung cancer for 13 months, my dad died this past November. He was in the hospital for about 2 weeks at the end. The last time that he was concious, he kept fighting to take of his oxygen mask because he said that it was causing him to not be able to breath. I finally quit arguing with him to put it back on and just let him take it off. I was sitting on the bed with him and he looked at me and said, "I fought hard didn't I?" I told him that he fought damn hard. He just shook his head up and down. He sat there for a couple of minutes with his eyes closed and didn't say anything. Without opening his eyes he said, "I see an angel". I wasn't sure that I understood him, so I asked what he said. He said again, "I see an angel". I said "What does it look like daddy?" He said, "It looks good." That was the last thing he ever said. He held on for about 36 more hours, but never regained conciousness. My dad never mentioned angels or seeing dead people up until right before he lost conciousness for the last time. I have never been one to buy into ghosts and alot of spiritual stuff, but that really stuck with me. Maybe it was the morphine, endorphines, or whatever, but maybe right before we go, someone comes to get us.

That's a comforting thought...

I'm sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool analogy.

Positrac is GM.  A Hemi-cuda had a Sure-Grip rear end.

Back on subject, I have no good answer.  I have no scientific basis to think that it actually involves visits from dead people, but whatever the source, if it provides comfort to the dying, that's alright with me.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I talk to spirits myself. I talk to vodka, gin and rum. I only associate myself with the more expensive ones, they tend to treat me better the next day.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#24]
My grandmother died of pancreatic cancer, and about one week before she passed she told me that the angels were there to take her home.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

My aunt who died of cancer did something very similar.  I watched my husband's grandma die and she didn't do or say anything at all.

I'm glad your Dad had such a peaceful ending though and that you were there to comfort him.

Patty
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I dismissed the stories as halucinations caused by pain meds, until the rose trimmer story.  She described the guy right down to the gloves he was wearing.

How could she see someone whom she had never met if it was just a halucination?  Since then I have
wondered if there is more to it than what logic can explain.

Is this a real story or did you hear it secondhand from somebody?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'm a firm believer that dead is dead and once you are dead, you won't be seen or heard from again.

Don't be so sure. I was also with this belief. One day in 1995 I visited the site of my fathers grave with my older brother. I had not been there since he was buried in 1975. Fresh snow had covered the ground and my brother who had been ther sereral times since was tring to push away the snow to find my fathers grave. I stood there thinking it would be impossible to find his stone. Then I clearly heard my fathers voice say from behind me, " I'm right here son" With disbelief I turned thinking someone was pranking me. There was no one there. I then pushed the snow away and there at my feet was my fathers grave. Needless to say I was shook up but only for a second, then I was overwelmed with a feeling of peace. You may believe what you want. I know that my father spoke to me in 1995, 20 years after his death.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a firm believer that dead is dead and once you are dead, you won't be seen or heard from again.

Don't be so sure. I was also with this belief. One day in 1995 I visited the site of my fathers grave with my older brother. I had not been there since he was buried in 1975. Fresh snow had covered the ground and my brother who had been ther sereral times since was tring to push away the snow to find my fathers grave. I stood there thinking it would be impossible to find his stone. Then I clearly heard my fathers voice say from behind me, " I'm right here son" With disbelief I turned thinking someone was pranking me. There was no one there. I then pushed the snow away and there at my feet was my fathers grave. Needless to say I was shook up but only for a second, then I was overwelmed with a feeling of peace. You may believe what you want. I know that my father spoke to me in 1995, 20 years after his death.

These are the kinds of things that really get to me.  The bright lights and angels and things are pretty easy to explain away as physiological phenomena.  But not something like this.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

That is the bottom line right there. I hope everyone will at some point realize. I have seen a lot of dying and I have seen people go easy and people go hard. It just depends who shows up when it's time. Believe it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not doubting what you say you heard. But, where was he before that and where has he been since then? If there is life after death, if it is possible to communicate from the "other side", why would your father waste his only contact by telling you where his headstone is? Wouldn't he have something more important to say? I mean, if he speaks to you once in 20 years, it must not be an easy thing to do. It seems like a lot of effort just to say "I'm over here, son".
Why would he contact you at his gravesite? Supposedly the spirit leaves the body long before it's in the ground, so a grave should have little significance to the dead. Now, maybe I'm looking for logic where no logic is possible. As far as I'm concerned, the dead communicating with the living or vice versa, defies logic. Frankly, I don't believe in it and no ghost story is going to convince me otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I didn't witness any of this but (according to my mom) on 2 different occassions my dad, while he was dying of cancer, saw and had two way conversations with his oldest brother who himself had died from cancer several years earlier. According to my mom, my dad was lying in his bed and he was talking to his oldest brother once when he (the deceased brother) was standing in the doorway between my parents bedroom and their bathroom and then again when he was sitting in a chair that was in their bedroom. She said it irritated my dad because he could see and hear his deceased brother yet she could not.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Some of the people including the guy telling the story said they quit being Atheists that night.

That sounds perfectly sane and reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#34]
In 2001 my mother died, before her death she stayed in the hospital for two weeks. One night I went to visit her and she told me her brother had just been there, had I seen him out in the hall, I told her no, I did not see him. Her brother had been dead for close to forty years, it kind of scared me. I have talked to other people who have similar stories about people close to death seeing dead relatives.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How could she see someone whom she had never met if it was just a halucination?  Since then I have
wondered if there is more to it than what logic can explain.

Is this a real story or did you hear it secondhand from somebody?

Real story.

My grandmother "saw" the man outside her window at a hospice care place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top