Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:12:53 AM EDT
My company's email has been down since yesterday afternoon due to chain mail.

Some dumb-ass forwarded the 2-Mb email to everyone in the company (at least 20,000 people worldwide).  Then at least 10 others "replied to all" and said, "please remove me" from your list, creating at least 10 more 2-Mb emails.

(2 Mb) x (20,000 people) = 40,000 Mb for each email.

If I was CEO, I'd have the instigator fired immediately.

I mean, what are these people thinking?

M.L.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#1]
It is funny - one time, totally out of the blue, I got one of those "Pass this on to 10 people" emails about some sappy-ass bullshit.  Got it from a co-worker I didn't even know in the building (about 200 people there).  I politely sent him an email saying to please not send me those again as it took up my time to read it/delete it, it screws with the email system and servers, and had nothing to do with work.  WOW - the response I got peeled paint.  I found out where he sat, went over to him, and told him that if he didn't clam his ass down and man up about someone's request to keep non-work related crap to himself, we'd be having a talk with management.  He profusely apologized.

Found out later someone else forwarded pics to some people, many of whom forwarded to others, of VERY fat women in bikinis in the back of a ford (I think it was called "Haulin' Ass" and everyone who forwarded them got written up.  How stupid can you be to do that shit at work?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#2]
We used to get them cause the idiots would reply to all. Until the big voice from above sent out an email to cease or disciplary action will follow!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How stupid can you be to do that shit at work?

You would not believe.. Sales guy's chat sessions with his mistress via IM (who is one of our customers), Downloading pr0n via company high speed connection. Ya Ive pretty much seen it all.

Lots of stupid lusers out there..
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:52:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
(2 Mb) x (20,000 people) = 40,000 2 Mb for each email.
M.L.

MS Exchange uses single-instance storage.  A message sent to multiple reciepents is kept as one copy with everybody having a database pointer to the single copy of the message in the store.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:54:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
M.L.

MS Exchange uses single-instance storage.  A message sent to multiple reciepents is kept as one copy with everybody having a database pointer to the single copy of the message in the store.

Then why would this crash our system?  I know very little about Exchange.

edit:  Everytime someone opens Outlook, doesn't their machine have to download the 2-Mb file, even though it resides on the Exchange Server?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#6]
nm
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#7]
People are dumb using email and computers just as they are driving, using cell phones, claiming their child can do no wrong, etc.  

It is rather annoying to get useless BS on email at work though.   I've sent more than a few "please stop sending this crap" emails in return.  It's worked every time.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
M.L.

Then why would this crash our system?  I know very little about Exchange.

edit:  Everytime someone opens Outlook, doesn't their machine have to download the 2-Mb file, even though it resides on the Exchange Server?

It depends on how it's configured.  If your email lives in the exchange store then the file isn't downloaded until you click on it.  Of course if enough people just have to click on the dancing Santa then it can bring down the server.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
People are dumb using email and computers just as they are driving, using cell phones, claiming their child can do no wrong, etc.  

It is rather annoying to get useless BS on email at work though.   I've sent more than a few "please stop sending this crap" emails in return.  It's worked every time.

Our secratary used to send out stupid emails all the time.  After replying to her with the snopes reference a couple of times I then replied to all with a giant FALSE written across the top.  That seemed to slow her down for a while.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It's annoying pretty much all of the time. I have one contact who insists on forwarding every dumbass fwd,fwd,fwd email he gets on to me - including chain letters. I don't forward them. The chain stops here.

I like getting email where the author has something to say to me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#11]
about 10 years ago doing support for a large global company someone sent a message to the 'all users' address   As the companies policy was to not delete accounts if someone left for leave/longterm illness/contractor who was reassigned as they might be back there was a large 'hold mail' option that if you sent mail to them it would send a 'sorry this person can't receive mail'.  

Someone in Europe sent the message which was for a conference to the world.   Naturally people replied to all which would hit everyone... BUT the best part was all the messages to people that were in the hold mail status bounced back to the sender.    Be stupid and send a 'reply to all' and get 10 of thousands of undeliverables to remind you
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#12]
People who run Exchange servers either don't know better, or are controlled by those who don't.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Another (slightly less) annoying thing I've noticed is the guy who spends all his day reading Slashdot or other news sites and thinks it's his duty to pass on each headline of significance (to him) to everyone in the organization.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Another (slightly less) annoying thing I've noticed is the guy who spends all his day reading Slashdot or other news sites and thinks it's his duty to pass on each headline of significance (to him) to everyone in the organization.

It would just be easier if they all read ARFCOM.  Would save everyone alot of trouble.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#15]
One of the boneheads that started one of the "It happened to my sister yesterday"  messages.  Got traced back to the company I worked at.  She got canned as soon as they could print her paycheck out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
M.L.

who says they use exchange?
plenty of other email systems out there
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's annoying pretty much all of the time. I have one contact who insists on forwarding every dumbass fwd,fwd,fwd email he gets on to me - including chain letters. I don't forward them. The chain stops here.

I like getting email where the author has something to say to me.

when I get those I open up one of my anonymous hotmail accounts and send a nasty email to one of the original senders at the beginning of the chain
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#18]
50% of GD is folks reposting chain emails.

"I got this email the other day, and I thought I would share it here..."
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Man am I stupid......I thought chainmail would heavy to wear and way too heavy to mail.....

SRM
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
50% of GD is folks reposting chain emails.

"I got this email the other day, and I thought I would share it here..."

Or they just read it on Drudge.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I just have one question:
TWO MEGABYTES?

May I ask what was in the email?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
TWO MEGABYTES?

A cyberspace representation of your mom.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TWO MEGABYTES?

A cyberspace representation of your mom.

Okay - I laughed out loud at that, juvenile as it was!

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Spam them with this (saved it when some other arfcommer posted it here)

Subject: Help in this Christmas Season

My name is Billy Evans. I am a very sick little boy. My mother is typing this for me, because I can't. She is crying. The reason she is so sad is because I'm so sick. I was born without a body. It doesn't hurt, except when I try to breathe.

The doctors gave me an artificial body. It is a burlap bag filled with leaves. The doctors said that was the best they could do on account of us having no money or insurance.

I would like to have a body transplant, but we need more money. Mommy doesn't work because she said nobody hires crying people. I said, "Don't cry, Mommy," and she hugged my burlap bag. Mommy always gives me hugs, even though she's allergic to burlap and it makes her sneeze and chafes her real bad.

I hope you will help me. You can help me if you forward this email to everyone you know.

Forward it to people you don't know, too. Dr. Johansen said that for every person you forward this email to, Bill Gates will team up with Disney World and send a nickel to NASA. With that funding, NASA will collect prayers from school children all over America and have the astronauts take them up into space so that the angels can hear them better. Then they will come back to earth and go to the Pope, and he will take up a collection in church and send all the money to the doctors. The doctors could help me get better then.

Maybe one day I will be able to play baseball. Right now I can only be third base.

Every time you forward this letter, the astronauts can take more prayers to the angels and my dream will be closer to coming true. Please help me. Mommy is so sad, and I want a body. I don't want my leaves to rot before I turn 10.

If you don't forward this email, that's okay. Mommy says you're a mean and heartless bastard who doesn't care about a poor little boy with only a head. She says that if you don't stew in the raw pit of your own guilt-ridden stomach, she hopes you die a long slow horrible death and then burn forever in hell. What kind of cruel person are you that you can't take five freakin' minutes to forward this to all your friends so that they can feel guilt and shame about ignoring a poor, bodiless nine-year-old boy?

Please help me. I try to be happy, but it's hard. I wish I had a kitty. I wish I could hold a kitty. I wish I could hold a kitty that wouldn't chew on me and try to bury its turds in the leaves of my burlap body. I wish that very much.

Thank You, Billy "Smiley" Evans

ETA: I have a seperate email address setup to give to people who are known for forwarding everything they receive... I only check that one once a month.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would just be easier if they all read ARFCOM.  Would save everyone alot of trouble.

That's what I do!! But I don't tell the other sheeple about it though. If they aren't smart enough to find thier way here then fuck 'em!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#26]
This is the only chain mail I am interested in.  Unless that's what people are sending me, I'm not interested.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top