Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:15:36 AM EDT
I was looking at this one as an entry level laptop to run Quickbooks from for the new business.

Toshiba

Are Toshibas generally a good brand?  Anyone know any bargain box stores with all those features for the same $$$?

I'm totally open to other suggestions, but all I need this for is email, surfing, & quickbooks.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:17:14 AM EDT
[#1]
All I run are toshiba laptops, they are a good platform.

You can get better pricing than what Best Buy is offering.

ETA: I do heavy presentation work with mine. I have a P4 ( i dont trust a celeron ), and 1 gig of ram and 80 gig of space.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:18:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:48:56 AM EDT
[#3]
That's almost an exact match for the specs on the laptop I'm writting this post on (different processor and manufacture, but the rest is about the same).

It's a decent price for the system. I'm not very familiar with Quickbooks, but I suspect that computer has a little more power than what you need. In other words, you can probably find a cheaper computer that will be able to handle Quickbooks.

If you're planning to use this for more than just business, you might want to consider getting a machine with a DVD burner. DVDs are quickly replacing CDs, so having the ability to create them isn't a bad idea and generally doesn't cost much extra.

While this doesn't directly pertain to your ability to run Quickbooks, you should be away that that laptop runs at an unusal screen resolution (1280x800). As I've discovered the hard way, it can be a pain in the ass to find wallpaper for that resolution. It give you more screen space than a normal XGA 1024x768, but personally I don't think it's worth it. The 1280x800, while advertised as "wide screen", and is truely wider than normal, is not a wide as a widescreen movie, so if you watch DVDs, expect to still see black bars top and bottom.

Toshiba is a great brand name. A few years ago they had a reputation for making the best notebooks available to the general public, but a lot of other manufactures have become more competitive.

In conclusion:
* That computer should work for quickbooks.
* You can probably find something cheaper if you ONLY want to do quickbooks.
* Getting something with a DVD burner would be a good idea if you're doing more than Quickbooks.
* Toshiba is a good company.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

ETA: I do heavy presentation work with mine. I have a P4 ( i dont trust a celeron ), and 1 gig of ram and 80 gig of space.

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Where praytell?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top