Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 4:24:37 AM EDT
As long as i can remember i've never been able to close my left eye by itself but i don't have any problem at all closing just my right. As you can imagine this gets in the way of shooting, mostly with a rifle, which i've just recently got into. I'm right handed and it feels completely unnatural to shoot as a lefty. Does anyone know of any special remedies or excercises that can train my stubborn eyelid to close at my command? i would totally prefer to avoid having to use an eyepatch or other means of manipulating my eye unless there's no choice.

how bad would it be to switch my shooting position? anyone suppose i would get aquainted to shooting leftsided?  btw, i can close the eye if i think really hard about it and concentrate, but it really has trouble staying closed in the actual shooting position.

any help would be appreciated!! i need it badly!

thanks so much.       <----hey he's mocking me!  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:26:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Amputation time.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:28:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Get an eye patch and walk around the range yelling   "AAARRRRRRR!"
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:29:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Advanced stages of lazy eye.  ED will soon follow.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:29:33 AM EDT
[#4]
You don't need to close the "weak" eye at all.  Learn to allow your "strong" eye be dominant.  When you practice this, you'll be able to keep both eyes open and still engage your sights.

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:33:27 AM EDT
[#5]
yeah! hey maybe there's a nerve i can have cut so my eyelid just drops shut like a heavy iron hatch on a pirate ship!

you're geniuses!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:35:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You don't need to close the "weak" eye at all.  Learn to allow your "strong" eye be dominant.  When you practice this, you'll be able to keep both eyes open and still engage your sights.

CMOS

i have tried sooo hard to find the sights through my right eye with both eyes open. i think with more practice i could just possibly do that. thank you all for the perspiration!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#7]
The simple answer is that you should be shooting with both eyes open.This will not work well if you are strongly left eye dominate,if so your choice is to shoot lefty or block the left eye. In competition shooting closeing a eye (squinting) causes all sorts of eye strain problems so most folks will block the shoting glasses. (this can be as simple as a small piece of tape) . Generally you don't want to block all the light,just block the dirrect vision.
Completly swapping sides is usually left as the last choice as it takes some getting used to.May be the way to go if the left eye has better vision or some physical problem such as a "bad" shoulder or hand issues.
You should be wearing safety glasses so just start out with a small piece of light colored masking tape right in the center and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:42:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:44:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Get an eye patch and walk around the range yelling   "Can Ye Smell It!"

Fixed it.

If it really bothers you, you could block it.  Otherwise, learning how to use iron sights with both eyes is a useful skill.  Not only can you maintain depth perception, but you can set up an acquire a target faster because you won't have to close one eye to find your sight picture.  I learned how to use iron sights with both eyes open.  I'm getting pretty good at it, though it's easier for me to do with a longer sight radius.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:32:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Get a freind to punch you in the eye. After that, get him to just raise his fist like he is going to hit you. Your eye will blink.

That may just work.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
yeah! hey maybe there's a nerve i can have cut so my eyelid just drops shut like a heavy iron hatch on a pirate ship!

you're geniuses!!

No genius, you can just wear a eye patch 'like' a pirate......sheesh.......Arrrgh!!!

Damn, efpeter beat  me to it......Arrrgh...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top