Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2006 10:02:01 PM EDT
Does anyone else like to eat big chunks of Paramesean Cheese?  I am not talking about the foul grated stuff Kraft sells.  I am talking about good quality Paramesean Cheese bought in wedges.  That stuff is good!  I will eat a piece about the size of the small Halloween size candy bars at the most.  Usually about half of that and I love it.

I have always liked the "stinky" cheeses and very much enjoy eating Bleu Cheese,  Swiss is another favorite although I do not consider it a stinky cheese.  What do you say ARFCOMERS?  What are your favorite cheeses?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd eat it morning noon and night if I could

ETA: Paramesean that is and Mozzerella
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
especially if you get the GOOD quality stuff that you get the granules in the cheese itself.. NICE!!!!

Now ya got me hankerin' for some.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#3]
slice thin and bake into paramesean cookies.

Friggin awesome
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:03:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
slice thin and bake into paramesean cookies.

Friggin awesome

frico, or course grate it also-a little easier.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Try a chunk with a little high quality Balsamic vinegar drizzled on...not the watery stuff used for salads, but the expensive stuff that is thick like syrup....oh man!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:05:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Never had it, but I love parmesan cheese.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:06:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice slice of parmesan, some crusty Italian bread, roasted red peppers...heaven on earth.

Good parmesan cheese makes the roof of your mouth itch!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:06:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I like thin, dime-sized shavings of it on my salad.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Gorgonzola and blue are awesome, IF they are the good kinds - not the mass-produced shit.  Provolone and whole-milk mozzarella are awesome, too.

NOTE - the best way to enjoy cheese is to let it assume room temparature before eating - increases the flavors.  I didn't believe it till I tried it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I cut the cheeze a couple times
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:13:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Brie is my favorite, nice and ripe served at room temperature. I also love Gorgonzola, Parmesan - shaved, not grated, Reggiano, Fresh, whole milk Mozzarella and a nice sharp Cheddar, oh and Swiss, I love Jarlsberg.

Brie, warm, crusty baguette and a nice fruity red wine...Mmm!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:20:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Asiago
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#15]
shooting a gun is like paramesean cheese you can take with you
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Mmmmmm.. cheese!

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
shooting a gun is like paramesean cheese you can take with you

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Parmesan reggiano is the king of parmeans.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Bleu cheese is a favorite.  Feta is really awesome too.  In fact Whole Foods has Feta stuffed olives that are to die for.  Smoked Gouda and Jarlsberg.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I hanker for a hunk of...A slab, a slice, a chunk of...I hanker for a hunk of cheese.

Time for Timer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I hanker for a hunk of...A slab, a slice, a chunk of...I hanker for a hunk of cheese.

Time for Timer.

flashback to the 70's
I love Parmesan and Romano
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Brie is my favorite, nice and ripe served at room temperature. I also love Gorgonzola, Parmesan - shaved, not grated, Reggiano, Fresh, whole milk Mozzarella and a nice sharp Cheddar, oh and Swiss, I love Jarlsberg.

Brie, warm, crusty baguette and a nice fruity red wine...Mmm!!

Jarlsberg is killer.  Now I gotta find some.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#23]
i thought i was the only weirdo that enjoys a nice hunk of parm-cheese.  possibly my favorite 'eating cheese" and certainly one of the lower fat offerings
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Parmesan reggiano is the king of parmeans.

Parmigiano-reggiano is the undisuted king of Parmesan cheeses. Not all store will carry it and it will costs a bit more than a regular Paramesean Cheese wedge. Look for one with flavor crystals sprinked though out. OMFG when you find a store that carries it but a few wedges so you dont run out

The rind can be made into a great cheese, potato, bacon soup. Just pop the rinds into a freezer bag then store in the freezer untill you have enough for a pot of soup.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#25]
The best comes with the consortium stamp on the rind, indicating it has passed the quality control measures.

Those are not "flavor crystals" but rather minerals that have crystallized out of the cheese.

Careful, this is expensive cheese.  Look to pay at least $10 a pound.

Right on about the good, quality balsamic vinegar from Modena.  Don't get the cheap stuff, this stuff starts at $15 for a 250 ml bottle and goes up.  Only a few drops are needed for cheese.  Also try it on strawberries.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Ah, real consortium Parmigiano Reggiano with some aceto balsamico tradizionale.  That is an awesome combo.  It's a shame that the tradizionale runs about $50 or more per 4 ounces.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Ah, real consortium Parmigiano Reggiano with some aceto balsamico tradizionale.  That is an awesome combo.  It's a shame that the tradizionale runs about $50 or more per 4 ounces.

Si

try Grana Padano or dutch Parrano, also excellent but a little cheaper
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#28]
I'll look for it, thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

ah, yes kraftiono grateiano parmesean over butteredino whitbreadino and cooked on paperplateio
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ah, yes kraftiono grateiano parmesean over butteredino whitbreadino and cooked on paperplateio

Ahh, you're from Wisconsin...what do you know about cheese other than swiss or cheddar!

I was up in Wisconsin on a job once, beautiful state, good cheese...too bad so many left wing wackos...although coming from NY, I should talk...but Wisconsin? Where do they come from?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Hard as rocks, tastes like dirt.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh, you're from Wisconsin...what do you know about cheese other than swiss or cheddar!

I was up in Wisconsin on a job once, beautiful state, good cheese...too bad so many left wing wackos...although coming from NY, I should talk...but Wisconsin? Where do they come from?

Illinois

FIBS

where was your job?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Mmmmm cheese.  

Edam is probably my favorite, but a good shredded parm is great stuff.  I never cared for grated, and certainly not that crap in the green cans.  I buy block cheese whenever possible.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Indtage flere Halvarti
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Illinois

FIBS

where was your job?

Up in Sheboygan (sp?)....we were doing some emissions testing at an automotive plant (I think they made seats for GM...it was a while ago).

I drove up the equipment....through Chicago, to Milwaukee to stay overnight and pick up the rest of the crew in the morning, then up....oh, had some really good beer there too! Drove past Harley Davidson...I liked Milwaukee, reminded me of Buffalo...had that old rust belt, old industrial feel to it...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#36]
good place to go fishing- lake superior (i hope) right there.  Caught some big brown trout.  I am on the other side of the state.

sounds like you maybeed a Johnson Controls place?

milwaukee becoming/is a shat hole in some areas-
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I like several different types of cheese, but can not do the blue cheese...........oh no.

One cheese that has not been mentioned is. Hog head cheese.  Really good on Ritz Crackers.  I don't know if it is a cheese per say, because its made out of lips, ears, brains, snouts, and such.  Just don't take a really big bite cause it can swell on ya....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Indtage flere Halvarti

Havarti is great, I love it.

When I worked for Wegmans I cross trained in Old World Cheese and sampled everything - quite a few times!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I missed lunch, and there's a pack in the fridge. It's hours are numbered. Wish I had some Tuborg.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Most foods are just an excuse to eat Parmesan Cheese!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Indtage flere Halvarti

When I worked for Wegmans I cross trained in Old World Cheese and sampled everything - quite a few times!

Wow...where (generally) in NY? Wegmans is the best...foriegners are always amazed, people from outside the area are always impressed...I can't believe there are better grocery stores anywhere!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#42]
i like pecorino romano!

btw the grated kraft crap is properly known as "Sprinkle Cheese"
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
good place to go fishing- lake superior (i hope) right there.  Caught some big brown trout.  I am on the other side of the state.

sounds like you maybeed a Johnson Controls place?

milwaukee becoming/is a shat hole in some areas-

I don't remember the name of the plant...but I remember being right on the lake...too bad I didn't have the time to fish....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Never had it, but I love parmesan cheese.

It took me awhile but your post made me go back and look at the spelling again

para-me-se-an

rhymes with paramecium

Ummmm.....love that paramesean cheese!

I think I live in the parmesan cheese capitol of New England.  My local Stop and Shop must have 15 different varieties and styles.

Looks like dinner tonight will be fettucini alfredo topped with grilled garlic and cheese sausage
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
i like pecorino romano!

btw the grated kraft crap is properly known as "Sprinkle Cheese"

I don't know how anything that comes in a cardboard container and can sit on a grocery shelf for months or years, un-refrigerated (or at least kept cool) can be called cheese.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I could eat chunks of parmesean cheese all day! I also like it shaved/thinly sliced on salad.

I also like Havarte(sp?) cheese. It makes killer grilled cheese sammiches.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Indtage flere Halvarti

Wow...where (generally) in NY? Wegmans is the best...foriegners are always amazed, people from outside the area are always impressed...I can't believe there are better grocery stores anywhere!

The Buffalo area. Wegmans is great - they've really raised the bar so far as carrying a huge variety of products and offering great service goes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Hell yes!

Gimme a wedge of parm, and a knife, and I'm snacking for hours.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Indtage flere Halvarti

The Buffalo area. Wegmans is great - they've really raised the bar so far as carrying a huge variety of products and offering great service goes.

Ha! Me too....In fact I work right by the just opened new and improved Dick Rd store....

We'll have to get you out to Dan's big shoot this summer...lots of semi-auto beltfeds and EBR's....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Ha! Me too....In fact I work right by the just opened new and improved Dick Rd store....

We'll have to get you out to Dan's big shoot this summer...lots of semi-auto beltfeds and EBR's....

Sounds cool!

I worked at the Transit Rd store in Williamsville...

And now thanks to this thread, I have a craving for cheese.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top