Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 9:21:45 PM EDT
I have a few of these old Sears disposable oxygen tanks that I would like to use as receivers for a small compressor I'm building (for an airbrush & other small stuff).  The bottles were originally pressurized to 2500 psi, but I'll only be using them at about 80 psi.

Anyway, the outlet fittings are just about impossible to remove.  I tried heating a bottle with a torch, then rapidly cooling the brass part with canned air (held upside down so it's super cold).  No dice.  Couldn't budge it.

So now I'm wondering if I should just find some female fittings to connect up.  I can't identify what type they are, though.  There's a Schrader valve in the middle but they don't look like anything in my industrial catalogs or that I've Googled.

Any ideas?

If I can't find matching fittings, I'll just cut them off with the chop saw, drill out the remainder and weld threaded bosses in place.  I'd rather not go to the trouble though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like fittings on paint ball equipment
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you turning it the right correct way

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are you turning it the right correct way

Looking at the thread pitch on the bottle end of the fitting (not clear in the pic), I think so.  Seems to be right-hand thread.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Not  having measurements to go with... that looks like a standard CO2 fitting used for paintball tanks.  If you go to a paintball store, you should be able to get a something like this...

The black female adaptor with the knob allows you to connect to your tank and turning the knob will open up the valve.  The other end can be fitted to whatever you want to connect to... the one in the picture shows a quick-release connectot.

You may want to check the brust-disk on the side to see what it's rated for.  To be safe, put a 100psi burst disk in there to prevent the tank from over-pressuring... not that it should matter since all stell tanks can hold up to 2000 psi without issue.

BUT... take care when airing it up, go slow to make sure you don't have a leak somewhere.  Use a large tank of water and put the tank inside it to air.  You should be able to see bubbles if it's a leaker.

Lates,

~nb
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been looking at paintball fittings on the web.  There aren't many good close up shots out there, but I think you guys might be right.

The unthreaded tip (just above the threads) is 0.478" OD and 0.212" ID.  The threaded nipple is 0.625" long.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Nope, not a paintball fitting.

The AGAMA and DOT have rules about thread sizes for specfic gasses.  This is to keep people from interchanging gasses on systems they were not designed for...

That particular fitting was made for the Sears torch kit it was sold for.  I doubt you will find the corect coupling at a reasonable price.

The good news is, that fitting WILL come out of the tank.  It does take a lot of force though.  If you are not able to hold the cylinder securely, and apply 80+ ft/lbs - then you may want to take another approach.

You can remove the schrader valve (tire valve) in the center, and drill it out to 11/32".  Then tap the hole with a 1/8" NPT pipe tap, and use any fitting you like.

Lem
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nope, not a paintball fitting.

Lem

Hmmmm cause its looks EXACTLY like the fittings on my old paintball stuff....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:36:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Paintball stuff uses a tank fitting with an exposed "O" ring, and a dedicated pin valve.

Clicky-Clicky

Lem
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:05:13 AM EDT
[#9]
The local welding gases dealer will be able to get that out for you safely. And probably be able to supply any other type of fitting you might want.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:09:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Paintball stuff uses a tank fitting with an exposed "O" ring, and a dedicated pin valve.

Clicky-Clicky

Lem

I played PB every weekend for 5 years... Not all of it does...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:17:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clicky-Clicky

Lem

Only 5 years.

Do you know what a pump gun is?

How about auto-triggering?

Ever hear or play against a Tippmann 68 Special?

Did you know that paint came in .60 cal in the early days?

Played the game from 1990-2003.  Then I got my head out of my ass and bought REAL toys.

Buzzz.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:18:57 AM EDT
[#12]
This might be cheaper than the cost/time involved getting the fittings for your tanks...

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41712
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I took one of them to my welding dealer back in Texas and they didn't know what kind it was, but they have made up lots of other adapters and connectors for me.  

Oh well, I guess I'll cut the fittings, drill them out, weld threaded bosses on and use standard fittings.  I won't have to buy anything or wait for a shipment that way.  It's time consuming, but at least it's relaxing work.  The size of these tanks fits my application perfectly.

I have an old freon tank that I could use, but it's bigger than I want and they're not safe to repressurize.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clicky-Clicky

Lem

Only 5 years.

Do you know what a pump gun is?

How about auto-triggering?

Ever hear or play against a Tippmann 68 Special?

Did you know that paint came in .60 cal in the early days?

Played the game from 1990-2003.  Then I got my head out of my ass and bought REAL toys.

Buzzz.

Yes, I know.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top