Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2006 7:16:18 PM EDT
I've used a "special" version for years and I'm going to need to reinstall Windows XP tomorrow when I install new PC parts. The problem is my buddy tells me that the "special" version I use no longer works and that they have completely cracked down on such things. So, I'm sure somebody knows the cheapest way to get a legitimate copy of Windows XP? I was thinking some kind of student version or OEM version something.

Help!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
... Legally? www.bestbuy.com/
(don't be dissin' our Authors of Code now )
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#2]
It's off to Sam's club or Wally World you go.....

NOTE: you said "legitimate", right? Student versions are for students. If you are one...go to the college bookstore.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Your special version sounds like a volume licensed copy with an invalidated key, it still works, but not for getting Windows Updates through the websites.

OEM is the cheapest way to go, you get a Cert of Authenticity, CD, 25 page manual, and that's it! Look for them on tigerdirect.com or something.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Check with your college, they might be able to sell you a copy on the cheap. I think my college struck a deal with MS where we can buy it for like $5.

At the very least you can buy an OEM version from an online retailer (you just need to buy like a $2 cable or something)

You might be able to find a CS student with an MSDNAA account who is willing to give you a CD key for XP pro. *hint* hint*
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Find a college age son/daughter/neighbor/friend/ or a public school teacher. Education versions of MS products are much cheaper!

MS Windows XP Home is $80. Every employee in the school district I work at gets a free copy of Office 03 Pro for as long as they work for us.

Send me an IM and let me know what you are looking for and I can send you Education prices.

Av.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Student is the cheapest... But whats this legit word you use?

PM sent
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#7]

If you have reason to buy a hardware part (memory, motherboard, processor, keyboard, just about anything) then you can buy an OEM version with the hardware part for a lot less than the full version, and it is 100% legal and copyright compliant.  

Here's the full licensed version from ZipZoomFly for $139.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you have reason to buy a hardware part (memory, motherboard, processor, keyboard, just about anything) then you can buy an OEM version with the hardware part for a lot less than the full version, and it is 100% legal and copyright compliant.  

Here's the full licensed version from ZipZoomFly for $139.

Jim

Yep...  I paid $139 for XP Pro....think home edition is under $100.  I needed a new hard drive anyhow.  I used www.novapcs.com
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Well the cheapest way to get a "legitimate" copy of Windows XP would be to physically steal it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I reinstalled my "special" copy of windows XP last month and it still works fine.

Hold on a sec.   I see some vans pulling up outside...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I reinstalled my "special" copy of windows XP last month and it still works fine.

Hold on a sec.   I see some vans pulling up outside...

Does it say this on the side?:

Flowers
By
Irene
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#12]
goto www.newegg.com and buy a mouse or keyboard plus a copy of windows. Boom you were able to buy a legal OEM copy of windows for about 99 bucks.

BTW there are cracks out there for the validation issues... hehehe they came out almost before the validation effort went up
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Got my last two versions from the local comp builders. Their in-store price is the same as the on-line. Would call around your local area for the small shop computer vendors and see what they will sell the OEM version to you for. Bet you can get it for under a hundred.

www.cheapguys.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?search=yes&category=OPERATING_SYSTEMS
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#14]
If you know someone who works for Microsoft, they can get you a legit copy for $20.00.

Good Luck,

FB
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#15]
www.linuxiso.org/

then install Wine.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah all that's changed w/ the "special" versions is they added a validation thing for windows update.  There are numerous work arounds, one I've seen that works real well is a quick addon for internet explorer (Windows update runs through IE) that disables the check.

I install it on all my machines with XP (I get XP for free from my school, they are all legit) just to remove the extra step of the validation BS.  Completely skips it, saves a few precious seconds, lol.  A big FU to BS copy protection that number one doesn't work to actually stop pirates, and then just inconveniences legitimate users.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Go to the local college im sure they will have the Student priced version
same software usaly cheaper price.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yeah all that's changed w/ the "special" versions is they added a validation thing for windows update.  There are numerous work arounds, one I've seen that works real well is a quick addon for internet explorer (Windows update runs through IE) that disables the check.

I install it on all my machines with XP (I get XP for free from my school, they are all legit) just to remove the extra step of the validation BS.  Completely skips it, saves a few precious seconds, lol.  A big FU to BS copy protection that number one doesn't work to actually stop pirates, and then just inconveniences legitimate users.

Reminds me of when I bought Half Life 2 and had to put up with all of the STEAM bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
... Legally? www.bestbuy.com/

(don't be dissin' our Authors of Code now )

How dare ye support that evil store!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#20]
If you work for the .Gov (or know a friend who does) they can sometimes get really nice discounts on software - think: Win XP Pro plus Office Works for about $50
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#21]
If you have a Fry's Electronics near you, you can do the same thing.  Ask how to qualify for an OEM version.....Some type of hardware is required....

Good Luck
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#22]
For me, it was to buy MSDN and install it on 5 computers at home.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reminds me of when I bought Half Life 2 and had to put up with all of the STEAM bullshit.

thats why I dont have half life 2 sure I could crack it but I shouldnt have to crack a legit product I bought.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#24]
New Egg.com sells a full OEM version for around 150.00. They sell it with a small wire harness to get around the "Must sell with hardware" stipulation from MS.

I haven't found anything cheeper
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:30:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Borrow a friends.............you can load it on 5 computers under the same license.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:33:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Congradulations on your decision to stop being a dirtbag thief.

Go to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:35:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Windows OS's cost money?   Weird?  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:38:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Borrow a friends.............you can load it on 5 computers under the same license.

The Microsoft Police will be with you shortly!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:44:00 AM EDT
[#29]
From your friends who work for the .gov.  After all, you paid for them anyway.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:47:18 AM EDT
[#30]
About two months ago, a neighbor offered to get a copy of Windows XP in exchange for helping him fix his car.  Watching over his shoulder as he installed it, it was obvious that the had a large list of activiation codes that I guess he downloaded from the internet.  He had to go through about a hundred before one finally worked.

Two hours after he finished, I log onto the internet and get a pop-up stating something to the effect of "You didn't fool us with the bogus code, you have 30 days to give us a legit code, or windows will not work".  Sure enough, thirty days later it locked up.

I had no idea that his intention was to install a bootleg copy of Windows.  He is a computer guy at his workplace, and I figured that he actually had a "spare copy of windows".  Hmmmph.  Did me no favors at all.  Had to re-install the worthless Windows ME on the computer, and it barely functions.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:48:17 AM EDT
[#31]
*cough* ubuntu *cough*

tag, because I need to get rid of Win2K on my gaming machine. XP Pro is $139 @ newegg
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:48:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Does it really say that under the terms of the license agreeement?

I couldn't get a third activation on a single machine for XP Pro x64 without calling Microsoft and explaining to them why I was activating the product for the third time.  (No piracy on my part - long story. )

ETA:  Buy an OEM copy of any Windows version at Newegg.  $90 - $140 depending on version.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:48:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Wow imagine how much more  money Microsoft would have if all the "illegals" were paying for the "stolen" intellectual property.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it really say that under the terms of the license agreeement?

I couldn't get a third activation on a single machine for XP Pro x64 without calling Microsoft and explaining to them why I was activating the product for the third time.  (No piracy on my part - long story. )

No it does not say that.
Link to piracy info

There is a ton of crap about it, I can't find the exact page now but I am a Certified System Builder and they are always sending us the info.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I've got a copy of Windows XP Home, still sealed in the plastic box cover, you can have for $80 delivered. It's Pre-SP2 so you'll have to download the update once its installed (or I can burn you a CD with the update on it).

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:02:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Wow imagine how much more  money Microsoft would have if all the "illegals" were paying for the "stolen" intellectual property.

I have a friend that works for microsoft  and yes we have loaded up to 5 computers with no problems. I'm even running their corporate anti virus and firewall on my home computer.

And if I had to buy XP my price is $30.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:26:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Become a M$ partner

Order the annual action pack - $320

Get full licenses for just about all products for up to 5 PCs

https://partner.microsoft.com/us/40016455
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I know a lot of people who, although they OWN a legit copy, will USE a non-legit copy simply because they do hardware reconfigurations often enough that continuously going through the activation process is an annoyance they don't want to deal with.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#40]
if you're a computer/engineering student at a school that participates in the MSDNAA.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Become a M$ partner

Annual...is that Rent-A-Soft?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
About two months ago, a neighbor offered to get a copy of Windows XP in exchange for helping him fix his car.  Watching over his shoulder as he installed it, it was obvious that the had a large list of activiation codes that I guess he downloaded from the internet.  He had to go through about a hundred before one finally worked.

Two hours after he finished, I log onto the internet and get a pop-up stating something to the effect of "You didn't fool us with the bogus code, you have 30 days to give us a legit code, or windows will not work".  Sure enough, thirty days later it locked up.

I had no idea that his intention was to install a bootleg copy of Windows.  He is a computer guy at his workplace, and I figured that he actually had a "spare copy of windows".  Hmmmph.  Did me no favors at all.  Had to re-install the worthless Windows ME on the computer, and it barely functions.

He must suck, I've never had that problem I only had to change the code once when SP1 came out, but I'm patched up to the latest version now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a friend that works for microsoft  and yes we have loaded up to 5 computers with no problems. I'm even running their corporate anti virus and firewall on my home computer.

And if I had to buy XP my price is $30.

Are you talking about a standard XP Home or Pro retail version of XP?

Edit to add: I'm not saying it can't be done under the proper set of circumstances, I am saying it's usually illegal. I also found a complete link that shows the End User Licensing Agreement for EVERY Microsoft product. It tells in detail but you must have Adobe Reader.www.microsoft.com/legal/useterms/default.aspx
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Become a M$ partner

Annual...is that Rent-A-Soft?

It is  

But, you get a TON of software and quarterly updates.

For instance:

Office 2003 professional - $500
Visio professional - $500
XP pro - $300
Mappoint - $300

etc....

You get all that, and tons more, continually updated.  Five licenses.  It's a steal especially if you want to keep your software current.

Now, I'm no M$oft fan, just the opposite.  But if you have to have the crap, you may as well get it as cheap as possible.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

no you cant
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Sneak into a shop and "borrow" it for a few years and then by adverse possession, it's yours.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Link to piracy info"
Another common misconception is that you can transfer a preinstalled or OEM copy of Windows from an "old" machine to a new machine. An OEM software license may not be transferred from and old machine to a new machine—even if that machine is no longer in use. The OEM license is tied to the machine on which it was originally installed and can't be transferred to other machines.

So what do they consider a new machine?
 A new harddrive? that's where the software resides
 A processor? that's the engine
 ect,ect
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Hell, according to the EULA, it can onlly run on one processor per computer. Does that mean that you cannot use it on a dual processor computer, since they would run at the same time?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#49]
OEM from some place like newegg.com
will likely need to buy a hard drive or some other main component too, at least for it to be sold oem legally I think it's only supposed to be sold with major system components
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Link to piracy info"
Another common misconception is that you can transfer a preinstalled or OEM copy of Windows from an "old" machine to a new machine. An OEM software license may not be transferred from and old machine to a new machine—even if that machine is no longer in use. The OEM license is tied to the machine on which it was originally installed and can't be transferred to other machines.

So what do they consider a new machine?
 A new harddrive? that's where the software resides
 A processor? that's the engine
 ect,ect

perhaps someone else can chime in, but I believe this was shot down in a california court a while back.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top