User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 5:30:46 PM EDT
I wonder if they are still allowed to dress like gangstas, pimps and whores

Tensions Change Dress Code At Local Middle School
Mike Hooker
Apr 3, 2006
cbs4denver.com/topstories/local_story_094003340.html
(CBS4) WESTMINSTER, Colo. The immigration debate and demonstrations caused a middle school in Adams County to change their dress code.

Students at Shaw Heights Middle School are no longer allowed to wear anything that's patriotic, including camouflage pants, because they have become a political symbol for a version of patriotism.

"It upsets me that we cannot support our troops, the military," said Kirsten Golgart, an eighth grader who was told she'd be suspended if she didn't change her clothes. "We can't support our country. If we're American, I think we should be proud to be an American."

A letter went home to parents last week that explained for student safety, no clothes were allowed with political messages or flags of any sort.

Myla Shepherd, the principal, said that tensions over the immigration issue were apparent when more than 20 students came to school wearing camouflage jackets and pants, apparently to show what they call their patriotism and American pride.

"We started seeing name calling," Shepherd said. "Safety is my first concern so I'm going to do things to keep us from getting to a point where anybody is hurt or being suspended for fighting."

She said the dress code diffused the tension immediately. (?)

"I don't think that's a solution though because you're punishing 400 students because the action of 100," said Eric Golgart, Kirsten's father.

He gathered signatures against the dress code, but the principal said for safety, freedom of speech can be limited in schools, even as students get involved in the national immigration discussion.

In Longmont, the principal of Skyline High School banned all flags, including the American flag, because of tensions related to immigration reform.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I would send my kid to school wearing a flag..... Send him home and ill home school him from here on out and he will end up being a better person for it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds like a good way to get a test case going
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]
This shit is gonna keep snowballing......
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Just make everyone dress like this...

That will solve all the problems.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This shit is gonna keep snowballing......

. . . and yet absolutely NOTHING will be done about it.

Bet me.

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just make everyone dress like this...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/airwolf144/050612_sm_thx1138_ex.jpg

That will solve all the problems.

THX1138

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#7]
And the powder train keeps on burning...how much longer before the keg ignites?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
And the powder train keeps on burning...how much longer before the keg ignites?

There is no more dry powder in the keg.  You can light it all you want, but when the powder is wet, it won't light.  
Matt
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Like I said in the thread about the kid who was convicted of (?) for posting pics of himself on myspace with firearms,

We are headed in the direction of a society like the people of San Demos(sp?) in "Demolition Man".

Greetings and salutations!  Learn how to use the three shells, and enhance your calm.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I heard on the radio this morning of a Principal in Texas that did the same thimg. Banned Mexican AND American flags from the school.

No Expert
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Like I said in the thread about the kid who was convicted of (?) for posting pics of himself on myspace with firearms,

We are headed in the direction of a society like the people of San Demos(sp?) in "Demolition Man".

Greetings and salutations!  Learn how to use the three shells, and enhance your calm.

Thats "San Angeles"
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]
At least they are consistent

ACLU seeks apology for pupils in Latino T-shirt protest
www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=4719805&nav=23ii
RICHMOND, Va. The American Civil Liberties Union is asking a Virginia elementary school principal to apologize for keeping two pupils out of class because of their homemade T-shirts.

The shirts made by one of the students' older sisters said "Latinos Forever" and "100 percent Latinos."

The state A-C-L-U also wants the Woodbridge principal to clear the incident from the boys' records. The group also wants the principal to assure that the school won't violate pupils' free-speech rights.

Occoquan Elementary School Principal Todd Erickson barred the five- and eight-year-old from classes Friday. There had been protests in northern Virginia last week by residents who oppose proposed immigration restrictions. NO protests occurred at the elementary school.

Kent Willis heads the civil rights group's Virginia office. He says administrators are so concerned about discipline in school that they neglect the fundamental rights of students.

A Prince William County schools spokesman says the actions were to keep the school safe and orderly.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#13]
We had the a similar rule at my school in the 1970's. Could not wear anything that had the flag on it or any combination of red , white and blue.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
We had the a similar rule at my school in the 1970's. Could not wear anything that had the flag on it or any combination of red , white and blue.

I went to school in the 70s, we had flags on our book covers, pants, shirts, cars and everything else
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#15]
This is very in line with what I've seen of the local schools in the area where I work.  They are concerned with one thing above all others - LIABILITY.  If little Jose gets mad and hits little Jimmy because of his American Flag shirt then little Jimmy's parents might sue because the school officials didn't stop a potentially dangerous situation.  

I have seen a number of cases where the school did what really was the 'wrong' thing because to do the 'right' thing would expose them to liability.  Some of this is a specific matter of law - such as allowing a kid who repeatedly calls his teacher a motherfucker to remain in class because he has a "behavioral disorder" and can't be removed or diciplined because to do so would be to deny him his educational rights.  However, much of this is done at the discretion of the principal or other school officials.

It's really sad that we're allowing ourselves to sink so low.

-K
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This is very in line with what I've seen of the local schools in the area where I work.  They are concerned with one thing above all others - LIABILITY.  If little Jose gets mad and hits little Jimmy because of his American Flag shirt then little Jimmy's parents might sue because the school officials didn't stop a potentially dangerous situation.  

I have seen a number of cases where the school did what really was the 'wrong' thing because to do the 'right' thing would expose them to liability.  Some of this is a specific matter of law - such as allowing a kid who repeatedly calls his teacher a motherfucker to remain in class because he has a "behavioral disorder" and can't be removed or diciplined because to do so would be to deny him his educational rights.  However, much of this is done at the discretion of the principal or other school officials.

It's really sad that we're allowing ourselves to sink so low.

-K

What about the rights of the other kids not to be distracted by a hoodlum that needs to be beaten, and where does it say that we have to give an education to noncitiziens?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#17]
AAAAAAAUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear I do not know how you guys can stand it down there...

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear I do not know how you guys can stand it down there...

We can't, that is why we are all moving to your place.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#19]
It IS getting pretty ugly down here
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#20]
They are all spineless fucking cowards!  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Funny that they will still defend the right of an english teacher to preach about how evil Bush is in class though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top