Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 2:28:07 PM EDT
I use to be able to do a solid 80 Push ups in 2 minutes in about a months time I have dropped to 65 the lowest I can ever remember. I never really even had to do that many they just kind of stayed constant at around 80.

Now I just feel weak doing them, I am wondering if it is strength like I need to lift some weights or if I just need to do a bunch more pushups, hell it even could have been a bad day and its all in my head now...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
you can bench and do other weight training, but it all boils down to this:  if you want to do more pushups, do more pushups.  the ground and gravity is free, you can do it anywhere, and do not need to go to the gym or weight pile, and you are targeting the exact muscles you are using to do pushups
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
squatdog, is that you?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Christ, that was hard to read. Yes, bench will help.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, you can make hamburgers from ground beef too.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Bench works, you can also have a buddy put a 25lbs weight on your back when you push.

Bench low, you should be able to do 30-40 reps. You are trying to increase your stamina, not get stronger.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#7]
You may want to learn to communicate in coherent sentences before worrying about how many push-ups you can do.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You may want to learn to communicate in coherent sentences before worrying about how many push-ups you can do.

He was doing push-ups over the keyboard and typing with his nose..................................
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

sorry pushups good communimication BADDDD!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I disagree that bench pressing will help you pushups.... well at least unless you are benching like the bar only for like 100 reps per set.

If you are looking to increase your push ups, do pushups.  

With pushups you are looking to stimulate your fast twitch fibers (type II) in your chest, shoulders and tris.  Heavy bench press will target your slow twitch fibers (type I)
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I say it all helps.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Regardless of your solution to doing more pushups... I recommend wrapping your wrists. I used do do a LOT of both (and several hours' worth of hitting the heavy bag every day) and I didn't wrap my wrists. My joints are trashed pretty bad as a result. Do things smart and avoid pain...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I wish I could recall the research article I read, but those that added weight lifting to their regimine along with their push ups, sit ups and running got stronger and were able to do more push ups than those that only did push ups.  

I don't recall what the weight lifting regimine was?  I can could guess and do pretty well.  I would do weight lifting a 2-3 times a week, and do push-ups the rest of the week.  I would do 4-6 sets of 15-20 reps.  

Wally
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#14]
You better do situps too to build back strength. A proper pushup is with a strait back.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You better do situps too to build back strength. A proper pushup is with a strait back.

roger, my situps are still very strong 90 in two minutes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#16]
What did you do to get to 80 push-ups in the first place? Do the same thing. Unless you are totally lying that you could do 80.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What did you do to get to 80 push-ups in the first place? Do the same thing. Unless you are totally lying that you could do 80.

Basic, infantry school, felt like I spent months in the Front Leaning Rest

Then it just seemed to come naturally.

I dont know the reason for the drastic drop only thing I can think of is me putting on some weight.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You mean a straight back?

Hate to be a spelling nazi, but I couldn't resist since you emphasized the misspelled word.....
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Just do 200 a day, in gradually smaller sets until you get to sets of 80 reps or so.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quit drinking so much beer.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#21]
do 100 pushup's on the wall in the shower...will halp with muscle memorie for repition...then do push up every evening with a backpack with lite-weights then add more weight youd be suprised what a 10lbs bag will improve....
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
do 100 pushup's on the wall in the shower...

How do you do pushups on the wall in the shower?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#23]
^ Yeah, what he said.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even been in prison?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#25]
You can improve your pushup count by:
-working your triceps
-working upper back muscles
-working chest muscles
-doing more pushups
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:43:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even been in prison?

Pushups = teh suck

If you want strength and results, use a damn bench...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#27]
How's your diet?  I would imagine butterflies with dumbells and One arm rowing would help.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
How's your diet?  I would imagine butterflies with dumbells and One arm rowing would help.

This is as close as someone has come.

Your body won't let itself get too far out of balance.  That means if you are trying to do more push ups and need more muscle, work the antagonistic muscles.  For push ups, that means bent over barbell rows.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#29]
In my opinion being able to do a lot of push ups is the result of having more power than strength, the bench can prepare your muscles for push ups but the actual push ups are what's going to increase the actual numbers.
I used to do strict push up workouts and used to do things like exaggerate the movment, for example by doing them in between chairs and going way low. Also elevating your feet for some sets and then using different widths of the hands for others. And some with hands directly beside each other.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#30]
thx
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top