User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 11:10:53 AM EDT
Ok, give me the scoop.

Equipment - 42in Plasma with HDTV tuner and CableCard ready

Current Service:  Comcast basic cable - $48/month

The Comcast rep says: Additional $20/mo provides -

Digital Classic
HDTV
DVR (digital video recorder) box (with HDTV tuner built in)

Questions -Can How do I burn to DVD (like stargate episodes).  Simply an ethernet connection?
Is it all its cracked up to be (pause live TV and all that)? I was over a friends house who has it and it looks cool.

thanks,
dan
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
bumpular for opinions
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have it. works great

I have the SA 8500 HD DVR thing
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The on available in SoFla is the Motorola 6412.  Anyone using that one?

How big a difference between digital cable and regular cable.  

Quoted:
I have it. works great

I have the SA 8500 HD DVR thing

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, please allow me to rant about CRAPTASTIC SERVICE from comcast

I dont know about your area but Comcast here is like AMMOMAN - its great untill you run into your first problem, then its all downhill from there. The comcast# has liars working that will tell you anything on he phone (plain out LIE) to you so be ready....

I just moved into a new house and when first placing my order for comcast:

Internet
Basic cable
HBO and skinamax
I was told my FIRST bill would be close to $140 then each monthly bill would be about $115

My first bill was over $150... no big deal
my monthly bill is on average $140  

ok so my first problem with comcast was none of the features would work (DVR,On Demand) I placed a call for a new cable box. (already going through enough issues with comcast at my sisters to have her cancel them) I advised the lady I needed a new HD/DVR/Cable box. I gave her the model of the one I had and advised that it was the newest one and would like the same one in return (duel tuner - full HD) When I was almost done on the phone I had the lady REPEAT to me what she understood the problem to be.... now me KNOWING there would be an issue called back about 2 hours later and asked about my last call.. was told that someone would be out to bring my new cable box....
the day before the apt, I got a call from comcast confirming the apt, I again asked to confirm the guy would bring the cable box... "yes sir, cablebox"  

as you can imagine the comcast guy came to the house asking me what the problem was and did not have a cable box on hand. He gave me the paperwork and the detail said "customer needs a cablecard to access on demand channels"

Things like that piss me off to the point that I dont even care anymore if that makes sense?

Ok, now to answer your question…
if you have the new comcast box (no coax out, full digital box) then follow THIS link. Explains how to pull the DVR saved shows to a computer and convert them to burn. This guy put alot of time into writing the code to do it all for you, then its a matter of just using your regular software to burn (nero,shrink,etc...)  The picture comes out the same as it was recorded (HD or SD) once burned to a DVD.

ETA/ like posted above my post "But I'd double-check those prices, because Digital Cable + HD + HD DVR costs a LOT more from Comcast here"
yes, please double check because they are known for exactly this
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Funny you should ask this right now. I'm at work - I sell Satellite subscriptions for both Dish Network and Direct TV. I know I know, it's not cable, but I figured I would chime in. If you are looking for HD service, Dish is where it's at.

We just upgraded to the new MPEG4 receivers - that means even better HD picture. With that upgrade, we also upgraded our services - 26 HD specific channels - the most offered by any service to my knowledge.

For the basic service with the HD channels, Dish runs at $49.99 a month. That's for 60 digital quality channels and the 26 HD channels. You have to pay $50 up front to upgrade to an HD receiver though. As for DVR - you can get a regular digital DVR receiver for free, but it's $6 per month. If you want a HD-DVR tuner, it's $299 to upgrade, plus the $6/mo to utilize the DVR.

I said I sell Direct TV as well, but their HD stuff sucks balls compared to Dish, so I'll spare you.

I can give you more info if you want, or you could call me up. It's really slow so I figured I'd give you the run down since I'm in the mindset already. If you do want to go ahead and call me up, IM me and I'll send you the number.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Google dct-6412 dvr and you will find many online forums attempting to hack into the DVR to burn movies off of. some have been more successful than others.

What you could do is record to the dvr then play it back into another device to record it off the dvr.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

<snip>

But I'd double-check those prices, because Digital Cable + HD + HD DVR costs a LOT more from Comcast here.  The quoted prices are likely an intro offer, and Comcast has been raising prices twice a year for the last several years.  Go over exactly what you're going to be getting, and exactly what it is going to cost you, now, and a year from now.  Read the fine print very carefully.

The HD stuff is gonna look great, of course.  On an HD TV, standard-def stuff looks pretty lousy, because the up-conversion in most boxes is poor, and because your screen is going to be quite large for an SD picture in the first place.

<snip>

-Troy

Called several times (to get different people) and got the same numbers: $20 more per month for HD/DVR and box ($9.95) plus $58 for Digital Classic = $68/mo +tax (vs. current $48/mo +tax)

Was not a 'sale' price and no contract.  Will call again tomorrow to verify these 'claims' .

Turns out the set (due to the built in HD tuner) picks up the major networks (like ABC) right thru the cable, including several music channels .

Its cablecard ready as well, all these features supposedly eliminating the need for any box.  The desire to record stuff and do pause and PIP and stuff though means I need the box of course .

Quoted:
Funny you should ask this right now. I'm at work - I sell Satellite subscriptions for both Dish Network and Direct TV. I know I know, it's not cable, but I figured I would chime in. If you are looking for HD service, Dish is where it's at.

<snip>

I can give you more info if you want, or you could call me up. It's really slow so I figured I'd give you the run down since I'm in the mindset already. If you do want to go ahead and call me up, IM me and I'll send you the number.

I did look briefly into satellite.  Mostly concerned about the dish ending up in the land of Oz during hurricane season.  Can you get all the local channels as well?  SciFi and those other types?

Quoted:
Google dct-6412 dvr and you will find many online forums attempting to hack into the DVR to burn movies off of. some have been more successful than others.

What you could do is record to the dvr then play it back into another device to record it off the dvr.

Did that earlier, seems there is a Firewire port in the back, hence just plug into Firewire card in PC and zoom, zoom, zoom
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Did that earlier, seems there is a Firewire port in the back, hence just plug into Firewire card in PC and zoom, zoom, zoom

There is an optical port on the back but it is audio only.  The outputs on the back range from (component video and audio, baseband video and audio, and either DVI or HDMI) most all the other ports on the front and back are disabled and not used.  That is why I mentioned all the online hackers.  It wont be as simple as plug and play./

this is the back of a 6412 phase 1 Motorola DVR
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Local channel availability depends on where you live in Florida. Some zipcodes don't have locals available. I would need your zip code and physical address to able to find out. I could run it at work or use the system I have at home now. Sci-Fi and other such "basic" channels are included. Like I said, the price is for the basic package plus the HD package.

As for hurricane damage and whatnot, by signing into the contract (18 months) we give you free insurance - free repairs/replacements as long as it isn't user error. EG: you move the dish yourself trying to find a different signal, dish falls of and breaks, that will send you up the creek. If you're really worried, you could always just pull it down and toss it inside your house and then pay the tech to come put it back up after the hurricane.

I ccould go into a lot more detail and get you specific details/answers to anything you needed if I was at work (so I could run it by the service dept), but pretty limited now that I'm at home.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

There is an optical port on the back but it is audio only.  The outputs on the back range from (component video and audio, baseband video and audio, and either DVI or HDMI) most all the other ports on the front and back are disabled and not used.  That is why I mentioned all the online hackers.  It wont be as simple as plug and play./

this is the back of a 6412 phase 1 Motorola DVR
img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/dct6412_back.jpg

those twoo vertical rectangles to the right are the IEEE 1394 ports (Firewire)

I believe Phase III is the one Comcast is putting out here now.  And the firewire ports are active (I think there is an FCC reg the even requires it to be active, I forget the reason though)
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Yep, extra $20/mo provides, HD, Dig Classic, DVR box

No contracts, equipment fees, etc.  And its a regular price (vs some sale for 3mo, yada, yada).

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:38:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
First off, please allow me to rant about CRAPTASTIC SERVICE from comcast

I dont know about your area but Comcast here is like AMMOMAN - its great untill you run into your first problem, then its all downhill from there. The comcast# has liars working that will tell you anything on he phone (plain out LIE) to you so be ready....

I just moved into a new house and when first placing my order for comcast:

Internet
Basic cable
HBO and skinamax
I was told my FIRST bill would be close to $140 then each monthly bill would be about $115

My first bill was over $150... no big deal
my monthly bill is on average $140  

ok so my first problem with comcast was none of the features would work (DVR,On Demand) I placed a call for a new cable box. (already going through enough issues with comcast at my sisters to have her cancel them) I advised the lady I needed a new HD/DVR/Cable box. I gave her the model of the one I had and advised that it was the newest one and would like the same one in return (duel tuner - full HD) When I was almost done on the phone I had the lady REPEAT to me what she understood the problem to be.... now me KNOWING there would be an issue called back about 2 hours later and asked about my last call.. was told that someone would be out to bring my new cable box....
the day before the apt, I got a call from comcast confirming the apt, I again asked to confirm the guy would bring the cable box... "yes sir, cablebox"  

as you can imagine the comcast guy came to the house asking me what the problem was and did not have a cable box on hand. He gave me the paperwork and the detail said "customer needs a cablecard to access on demand channels"

Things like that piss me off to the point that I dont even care anymore if that makes sense?

Ok, now to answer your question…
if you have the new comcast box (no coax out, full digital box) then follow THIS link. Explains how to pull the DVR saved shows to a computer and convert them to burn. This guy put alot of time into writing the code to do it all for you, then its a matter of just using your regular software to burn (nero,shrink,etc...)  The picture comes out the same as it was recorded (HD or SD) once burned to a DVD.

ETA/ like posted above my post "But I'd double-check those prices, because Digital Cable + HD + HD DVR costs a LOT more from Comcast here"
yes, please double check because they are known for exactly this

+1
particularly about the LIARS!
Comcast is run and staffed by PATHOLOGICAL LIARS!!

I HATE Comcast with a passion.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Where I live Comcast Digital with a PVR costs about $70.  No premium channels, no internet, just the cable.  So I am on DirectTV instead.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Where I live Comcast Digital with a PVR costs about $70.  No premium channels, no internet, just the cable.  So I am on DirectTV instead.  

Yep, thats what the total will work out to on Comcast.  Using Bellsouth for 1.5DSL ($32/mo total vs. $50/mo for Comcast which is a weak connection where I am anyway .  I know because I had it )
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#17]
2 words:
Dish
Network
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yep, extra $20/mo provides, HD, Dig Classic, DVR box

No contracts, equipment fees, etc.  And its a regular price (vs some sale for 3mo, yada, yada).

Please post back here once you get your first bill, and then again in 3 months.  In my experience, and in the experience of a large percentage of my DirecTV customers, Comcast's rate quotes have little to do with the actual prices they charge.  Granted, a few notorious DirecTV dealers lie about rates too, but DTV rates are the same across the country, and easy to verify.  Comcast's rates vary somewhat based on location.  I still don't buy their rate quote, though.

-Troy

No new bill yet but the quality of the HD is stunning!  Over-the-Air HD (thru the built in tuner) worked just as well but with the subscription there is access to a number more HD channels and two of them are my new favorite channels; INHD and INHD2, Awesome!

The onscreen guide of the Comcast 6412 Phase III set-top-box is excellent and very intuitive.  Recording standard definition and HD is just a button away.  Just need more storage now .  The HD programs take up a fair amount of room .

Still working on transferring files from the box to the computer.  Got the firewire but who knows about SATA? (another port on the back of the box)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top