Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 8:34:41 AM EDT
I'm strongly considering getting two dogs in the near future, but need some advice/guidance since these would be my first pets larger than a guinea pig.

I have a 1900sqft (including basement) house on a quarter acre (unfenced), with a large park 1/2mi away and sidewalks all over the place. I can easily baby-gate the pups in the 10x10' kitchen (vinyl tile floor) while everyone is away at work until they're house trained. The 12x40' carpeted, furnished room in the basement (well-lit with its 4 full-size windows and glass sliding door to the back yard) is another place I can confine them to with a baby gate across the stairs, when they grow & need the space. When I'm home, they'd have full run of the house and sleep in my bedroom (or in their crates in the basement, if they prefer).

I can easily do ~1mi walks, my brother (I'm waiting for him to move in before I get the dogs; he's said he's cool with taking care of them if I'm away on business) is big into fitness and runs a lot so that distance wouldnt be a problem for him either. I live 5mi from work, so I'm able to run home during my lunch hour for a midday food and potty break, but I wouldnt want to have to do that for a year or more.

I'm thinking of getting a beagle and a black lab (both female and from the humane society, so I may not be able to find those exact breeds, but those are about the size classes I'm looking for), will the size discrepency be a problem? I'm looking for dogs that would be good at watching the house, companions on walks, and playing around in the yard/park.

Is it best to get two of the same breed/size class? I want the dogs to be able to play together rather than tear the house apart during the day.

Would I be better off getting one dog at first, and then adding the second a few months later, or should I try to get them both at the same time?

I'm currently leaning towards getting them as puppies rather than older dogs to help with bonding (both with each other and with the humans in the house), is that a good idea?

Any other advice that might help?

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to have a 12 lb. mutt (looked a lot like that Taco Bell dog) that was mean as hell and had unlimited energy together with my 95 lb. black lab that liked to sleep and eat and they got along really well duing the day.  I used to keep them in my 20' x 20' garage that I had A/C and padded carpet and a tv installed.   I kept my old sofa in their and they slept on it and chased each other around.

Once they are about 7 or 8 months old they can be left alone for up to about 6 hours.  When they reach 12 months you can leave them for about 9 to 10 hours.  

Good luck.

ETA mine were both males but I think females would get along better.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:46:34 AM EDT
[#2]
2 dogs for a first timer?
You may want to reconsider.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I think dogs of the same size tend to play together better than two that are totally different.  The breeds don't necessarily need to be the same, but I would get them at the same time so they are accustomed to each other.  If you get one and then wait a while to get the second, the first one might be grumpy and defensive about it and not take to the second one very well.

I have two Welsh Corgis and they are fun little dogs and love to play with each other all day.  I also have a little black Schnauzer/Scottie mix and she is pretty shy (but she came from a shelter) but they help bring her out of ther shell a little bit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Read up on crate training.  It really works and will make the pup more secure. If you crate train, you can house break a pup in a week or two and let them have the run of the house in about two months.  Buy you pup toys that you can play with also  Do not give the pup a sock or shoe.  Also, invest the time in puppy training.  Unless you want a neurotic adult dog, you must socialize the pup with other dogs and people. Pet Smart and similar stores offer puppy training.  You should view this as essential, especially since you are new to dogs.  I have had dogs all my life and I learned a lot from the puppy classes.  It does not matter if you get both dogs at the same time as long as the first one is trained and socialized.  A beagle is a hound and hunts by scent.  If it gets loose, and it will, it will follow it's nose.  A lab is a retreiver and is fairly high energy.  Think about why you want a dog.  Companionship, watch dog, etc.  Think about coat length, grooming and shedding.  Do not scrimp on high quality puppy chow.  In the end it will keep down your vet bills.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump for the evening crowd.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I started with two dogs at once and would do it again.  May as well go through the pup state all at once. I had two labs and loved them.  They were great
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
2 dogs for a first timer?
You may want to reconsider.

+1.

You must already have a big pair to want to try this.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]
for first time dogs, probably boxers
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#9]
GSD
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Yellow Labs

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top