Raytheon's SeaRAM to go aboard General Dynamic's Littoral Combat Ship

LOUISVILLE, Ky., April 4, 2006 /PRNewswire/ -- Raytheon Company will
install the SeaRAM anti-ship missile defense weapon system on General
Dynamics' Littoral Combat Ship (LCS). SeaRAM is the latest addition to
Raytheon's world-class ship self-defense suite combining the Phalanx Block
1B close in weapon system and the Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM) guided
missile weapon system.

SeaRAM is a low-cost spiral development of the proven Phalanx Block 1B
and RAM, the latter produced jointly by Raytheon and RAMSYS of Germany.
Intended to enlarge Phalanx's keep-out range against sea-skimming anti-ship
missiles, SeaRAM utilizes enhanced Phalanx sensors and replaces the M61A1
20 mm gun with an 11-round RAM missile guide. In addition, SeaRAM will
likely bring the first U.S. Navy implementation of the RAM Block 1A
Helicopter, Aircraft, and Surface (HAS) capability to the fleet.

In May 2004, the U.S. Navy announced General Dynamics would develop a
detailed LCS design, with the provision for construction of a prototype of
this new high-speed surface ship for delivery in 2006. The General Dynamics
LCS features an innovative trimaran hull enabling the ship to reach
sustainable speeds of nearly 50 knots and range as far as 10,000 nautical
miles.

"SeaRAM provides a self-contained ship defense capability that
leverages Phalanx's proven multi-spectral sensors with the demonstrated
lethality of the RAM missile," said Troy Oberg, Raytheon's SeaRAM program
manager in Tucson, Ariz. "Raytheon will work with General Dynamics to
integrate SeaRAM with the LCS's combat management system in order to
provide proven and highly lethal self-defense capability to the ship as
well as the new HAS technology."

In 2001 Raytheon provided an engineering model of SeaRAM to the United
Kingdom's Royal Navy for suitability testing. In 2002 Raytheon, in
conjunction with the U.S. Navy, successfully launched four blast test
vehicles, which measured rocket motor forces. The launches also confirmed
SeaRAM's forward-looking infrared sensor can withstand multiple launches
without damage.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#1]
They painted the LCS in Air Force combat uniform tiger stripe.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like "R2-D2 with a woodie" (Phalanx) just got bigger wood.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

only 11 shots?.... they better mount alot of em unless we are going to pure 3rd world combat.... china could effortlessly, and prbably even NK through 100 missiles at us in one attack....
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

only 11 shots?.... they better mount alot of em unless we are going to pure 3rd world combat.... china could effortlessly, and prbably even NK through 100 missiles at us in one attack....

100 missles, but not at just one ship.  keep in mind we dont operate alone, especially not near any kind of shooting war, 3rd world or otherwise
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#5]
FUCK YEAH!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#6]
"Hello. We're the United States of America. Who the fuck are you?"

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: SUSTAINED SPEEDS OF NEARLY 60 MPH IN HEAVY SEAS??????? Holy Crap!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but would they fire all of them at one ship, or would they attempt to distribute them amongst the entire American fleet?  If they fire them at multiple vessles, you have multiple SeaRAM systems engaging these 100 missiles.

ETA: Of course, NT got there first.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 57mm cannon also has good anti-air / anti -missile capability as well.  Also the LCS looks to have a fair degree of "stealth" built into it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The existing system carries 1500 rounds and burns through ammo at 4500 rounds/min.  So I guess the question is could the old system drop an incoming missile with less than a two second burst?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The existing system carries 1500 rounds and burns through ammo at 4500 rounds/min.  So I guess the question is could the old system drop an incoming missile with less than a two second burst?

You're thinking 20mm cannon, this is a missile launcher mated to the same control unit as the 20mm.
It can engage much further than the cannon and of course, the missile can make corrections and guide itself to the incoming threat.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I am trying to imagin what an all out naval battle would look like nowadays.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're thinking 20mm cannon, this is a missile launcher mated to the same control unit as the 20mm.
It can engage much further than the cannon and of course, the missile can make corrections and guide itself to the incoming threat.

I know.  I was posing that if the old system didn't get as many kills out of it's ammo, then 11 is already an improvement in and of itself.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They painted the LCS in Air Force combat uniform tiger stripe.  

Well, they couldnt exactly paint it M****t, now could they?

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#14]
yep except the LCS doesnt appear to have many, or any any real VLS cells unlike aegis ships, so this look like it may be the only defensive system rather then just last ditch.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#15]

So what's the difference between SeaRAM and regular RAM?  I see that obviously, SeaRAM has the big white dome from Phalanx on it.  I assume that's some sort of radar or guidance system?  If so then what does the original RAM system use for guidance?  IR?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know.  I was posing that if the old system didn't get as many kills out of it's ammo, then 11 is already an improvement in and of itself.

Gotcha!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I wonder what the reload time is.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
yep except the LCS doesnt appear to have many, or any any real VLS cells unlike aegis ships, so this look like it may be the only defensive system rather then just last ditch.

Would an SM2 really have a chance against a Sunburn anyways?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Note that the tiny helicopters appear to be Fire Scout UAVs.

LINKEROO

FIRE SCOUT - VTUAV UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLE, USA
In February 2000, the United States Navy chose the RQ-8A Fire Scout as its vertical take-off and landing tactical unmanned air vehicle (VTUAV). Northrop Grumman-Ryan Aeronautical of San Diego was awarded an engineering and manufacturing development (EMD) contract for the Fire Scout, which would provide situational awareness and precision targeting support to the US Navy and Marine Corps. The Fire Scout program is being managed by the US Navy's PMA-263 Unmanned Vehicles Program Office at Patuxent River, Maryland.

In August 2005, Fire Scout was re-designated from RQ-8 to MQ-8 to reflect its multi-role capability, including the ability to deploy weapons.

Fire Scout has the ability to autonomously take-off from and land on any aviation-capable warship and also at unprepared landing zones close to the forward edge of the battle area (FEBA). It can carry out surveillance, find tactical targets, track and designate targets and provide accurate targeting data to strike platforms such as strike aircraft, helicopters and ships. The UAV is also able to carry out battle damage assessment. The Navy is currently using the Pioneer UAV and has 21 Pioneer systems operational on its ships.

Fire Scout entered low-rate initial production (LRIP) in May 2001. The LRIP system includes three air vehicles, two ground control stations, a datalink suite, remote data terminals and modular mission payloads. The final LRIP vehicle was delivered in June 2003. Shipboard testing during August and September 2003, onboard Austin Class LPD (landing platform dock) USS Denver, included take-off and landings using the Common Automatic Recovery System and the Raytheon Tactical Control System.

In January 2002, the US Department of Defense decided not to allocate funding for Fire Scout after the completion and testing of the LRIP systems. However in January 2003, the US Navy announced its intention to evaluate Fire Scout for possible deployment on the new Littoral Combat Ships planned to enter service in 2007 and a second LRIP contract for eight more air vehicles has been placed.

In September 2003, an enhanced version of Fire Scout, RQ-8B, was chosen for the Class IV-A brigade level UAV element of the US Army's Future Combat System (FCS). The SDD (System Development and Demonstration) contract was awarded in January 2004 and will require the production of seven air vehicles. The RQ-8B will have a four-bladed rotor, increased payload capacity to 270kg and a greater than 8-hour endurance with a 90kg payload. The payload will be Northrop Grumman's Airborne Standoff Minefield Detection System (ASTAMIDS), which is also to include Reconnaissance, Surveillance and Target Acquisition (RSTA) and target designation capability.

Northrop Grumman is carrying out a weapons integration programme which includes the installation of two four-packs of 2.75in rocket launchers on the air vehicle. The launchers are designed to fire Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System laser-guided rockets. In July 2005, Fire Scout successfully fired two 2.75in Mark 66 unguided rockets.

HELICOPTER AIR VEHICLE
The Fire Scout air vehicle is a Schweitzer 333 helicopter based on the proven design of the Schweitzer 330 commercial lightweight manned utility helicopter. A benefit of selecting the commercially available design is that Schweitzer company based in Elmira, New York has an established worldwide spares and support infrastructure.

The air vehicle has a folded length of just less than 23ft. The three bladed rotor has a diameter of 27ft 6in and the vehicle stands 9ft 5in high. The gross weight is 2,550lbs. The vehicle has an endurance greater than six hours, providing a loiter time of more than four hours at a combat radius of 110 nautical miles.

Schweitzer has developed a four-bladed rotor hub, which will extend the UAV's range, payload and endurance. First flight of the upgraded vehicle was in April 2003. The upgrade requires no major structural or mechanical changes to the airframe.

The Schweitzer 330 uses a Rolls-Royce Allison C250 engine generating 480shp. The engine provides a maximum speed of more than 125 knots and a flight ceiling of 20,000ft.

GROUND CONTROL

The system includes advanced ground control facilities including the US Navy's Tactical Control Station (TCS), developed by Raytheon for installation on Navy ships, and the forward deployed Marine Corps' Portable Ground Station, Tactical Datalinks and communications networks. The UAV carries a L-3 Communications Tactical Common Datalink (TCDL) terminal. The Ku-band datalink has a narrow band uplink for vehicle and payload control and a wide band downlink for digital streaming video and data from the payload. TCDL is being installed on all US navy surface ships from 2002. Other ground control elements include four Rockwell Collins AN/ARC-210 radio systems and Sierra Nevada Corporations UAV common automatic recovery system.

FireScout was also to act as a communications node within the future structure of the US Department of Defense Network Centric Warfare Battlespace. Fire Scout could relay data from other platforms such as airborne early warning aircraft or from other ships back to the battle command unit or to other strike platforms.

MODULAR PAYLOAD DESIGN
The system is designed to accommodate modular payloads to suit the evolving operational requirements. The air vehicle has been fitted with a UAV Multi-Mission Optronic Stabilised Payload (UMOSP) developed by Israel Aircraft Industries' Tamam Division with electro-optical sensors including infrared imager and a laser rangefinder / designator. For the System Development and Demonstration (SDD) phase for the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS), the payload will include FLIR Systems BRITE Star thermal imaging laser designator system.

Northrop Grumman has conducted tests with a payload including the General Atomics Lynx SAR/MTI (synthetic aperture/moving target indicator) radar. These are being followed by tests with the Northrop Grumman TUAVR tactical UAV SAR.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#20]
tag to see where this one will head.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats a point, the navy really hasnt been throwing any money at 'outdated threats' it seems, way too much focus on second and third rate enemies.

though now that I think about it wasnt the LCS program gutted and pushed back last year? ill have to look.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
thats a point, the navy really hasnt been throwing any money at 'outdated threats' it seems, way too much focus on second and third rate enemies.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#24]
The odds of a incoming enemy antiship aircraft penetrating close enough to this ship to deploy the SEARAM are not very high.  AEGIS would make sure of that!!!

AMERICA FUCK YEAH!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Phalanx is good for about 5 engagements IIRC. At two missiles per engagement, the SeaRAM is probably good for 5 also, just with better range.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Note that thing hanging off the side of the SeaRAM. It came out with the latest generation of Phalanx. It is an IR detector. It lets you shoot rubber boats and jet skis and stuff in addition to the radar in the dome that lets you shoot incoming missiles. The SeaRAM is perfectly suited to smoke 3rd rate enemies.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

OPSEC dport.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OPSEC dport.

That's why I'm keeping my posts short. I guess I can't challenge those people who spout off without a clue anymore. At least, not with any real data.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
So what's the difference between SeaRAM and regular RAM?  I see that obviously, SeaRAM has the big white dome from Phalanx on it.  I assume that's some sort of radar or guidance system?  If so then what does the original RAM system use for guidance?  IR?

The SeaRAM is probably a self contained weapons system, whereas the RAM must be linked to the main Radar suite.

There is lots of cool info here:

www.raytheon.com/products/
www.raytheon.com/products/sea_ram/
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Slightly off topic but I wonder where the Netfires, loitering missile packs will be mounted?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OPSEC dport.

That's why I'm keeping my posts short. I guess I can't challenge those people who spout off without a clue anymore. At least, not with any real data.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OPSEC dport.

I'm a part-time blue suiter.  I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about how you swabs do business.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

french
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OPSEC dport.

I'm a part-time blue suiter.  I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about how you swabs do business.  

I could tell you but then...wel you know. We don't want that now do we?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I spend over seven years in the Navy (Submarine Service) and I too am having trouble visualizing unrestricted* warfare with today's Navy.

5sub

* Only once in the history of our country (to the best of my knowledge) has the order been given to commence unrestricted submarine warfare and that was about December 9 -10, 1941.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OPSEC dport.

I could tell you but then...wel you know. We don't want that now do we?

I have a confidential clearance.  The Pentagon sees to it that I know more than you do.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#37]
FYI,

There are two different prototype hulls being built for the LCS.  In addition to the one pictured earlier, Lockheed Martin also has a more traditional looking ship.

www.lmlcsteam.com/

Armament, at least according to the latest publicly available data, is one medium caliber gun, 4 .50 cal MGs, and a RAM or I guess now a SEARAM AAM launcher.  In addition, it will carry one or two SH-60Rs and up to three of those helo UCAVs.  The newer SH-60s are supposed to have the ability to launch Penguin anti-ship missiles, hellfires, and be equippable with MGs.  It doesn't have a VLS system, but it really isn't designed to be a high seas ship.  Its meant to operate in the littorals and chase down pirates, terrorists, submarines, etc.  

Of course, people in the know like dport can give better information.  I'd be curious to see what dport thinks of these things.  On the one hand, you have an almost frigate sized ship that seems to lack frigate type missile power.  On the other hand, it really isn't designed for those threats anyways.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Of course, people in the know like dport can give better information.  I'd be curious to see what dport thinks of these things.  On the one hand, you have an almost frigate sized ship that seems to lack frigate type missile power.  On the other hand, it really isn't designed for those threats anyways.

I'm sorry I can no longer offer my opinion of this platform. I have access to classified data and I wouldn't want someone to think that when I post information available to the public, via excellent websites like PEO Ships,  that it is somehow classified.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I spend over seven years in the Navy (Submarine Service) and I too am having trouble visualizing unrestricted* warfare with today's Navy.

I'm envisioning "short and exciting".
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry I can no longer offer my opinion of this platform. I have access to classified data and I wouldn't want someone to think that when I post information available to the public, via excellent websites like PEO Ships,  that it is somehow classified.

Hey now, most of us are good folks.  How about we just flame the trolls like we always do and then you can enlighten us with some actual information.  Lets not completely surrender GD to the trolls.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey now, most of us are good folks.  How about we just flame the trolls like we always do and then you can enlighten us with some actual information.  Lets not completely surrender GD to the trolls.

Yes, some of us like to listen to people who we can aknowledge know more than we do on a subject.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I hope they have a drain in every compartment so the swabbies can hose down the deck after some 60mph maneuvers in heavy seas.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#43]
When I worked at GD Pomona (where the original Phalanx was built), the claim to fame was that the gun could put up a "wall of depleted uranium" (exact words from program managers). This new system has less tolerance for bad shots, no?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#44]
_litoral combat ship... it just sounds raunchy
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Thats a mighty fine piece of fancy high falooting technology!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#46]
LCS is NOT designed to go into a high intensity environment alone.

It does have some fantastic weapons systems onboard. For instance the SeaRAM is an awesome capability, IMO. So is the 57mm. The 30mm gun outclasses our legacy 25mm gun. And the Ma Duece once again proved her worth when pirates attacked the CAPE ST. GEORGE. Netfires looks to be very promising.

Her helos will be just as capable as any other surface combatant. Maybe even moreso if the Fire Scout works as intended.

She won't be able to multi-task. That's obvious. She wasn't designed to. She was designed to take on a mission package and execute one mission and do it well. There she'll have an advantage. Instead of one crew trained for many tasks, she'll be able take on specialists to execute a mission.

What I find funny is the talk about it not being able to survive an onslaught of 100 missiles. Not many ships can withstand that. Not many navies can manage such an attack. Even so, let's think back to just over a decade ago. Our second most numerous ship of approximately the same size was the KNOX-class. It was hardly survivable against an onslaught of 100  missiles either. A capability the Soviet Navy certainly had. Yet, we still used them, and they would have been tasked with convoy support because it was fairly good at ASW. That class of ship most certainly would not have operated alone in such an environment. What you see with LCS is a similar philosophy in employment.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted: I'm envisioning "short and exciting".
The Navy Guide to Fleet Warfare

1) Spend a few days sailing to the combat zone.
2) Spend several hours figuring out who gets to shoot who with what.
3) Take 60 seconds to launch all the weapons.
4) Enemy fleet destroyed.
5) Sail into the enemy port unopposed.
6) Invite the hot women onboard.
7) Sail home with war booty.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your kidding right?  The question is can just ONE Sunburn get passed a SM2.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Why doesn't it have a phalanx, in addition to the Searam?

Especially one o those phalanxs that can be operated in manual mode on surface targets.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top