Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 6:36:42 AM EDT
I remember seeing something about this a while ago, and there are a few new commercial 30-06 loads that will operate properly in a Garand.  Can somebody let me know which ones they were?  I have a stock Garand, the operating rod is the stock rod, so I want to pick something up that has the correct burn rate and the hard primer.

Thanks for your replies.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:43:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:44:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I would NOT shoot the "LightMagnam" loads as they have a slower powder and will give you a higher port pressure at the oprod. This will beat up your oprod and they are costly.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a Schuster Nut and you can shoot any commercial ammo your heart desires.

Schuster Nut
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:49:09 AM EDT
[#4]
stick with bullet weights close to "issue", or you can beat up the reciver..
as in.. dont be shooting 180gr hunting loads.. stay in the 147 to 168 range
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#5]
For hunting I use Remington 150 or 180 grain soft point ammo.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:50:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Igman 150gr SP or FMJ works fine in mine. It is loaded to NATO specs and will produce 2 inch groups.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Hunting .30-06 is a no-no.  It will cause all sorts of headaches/broken parts.  I fired some hunting ammo in a Garand not knowing any better, and I was lucky it didn't destroy the op rod, though it managed to separate the bolt from the op rod, and lodge the bolt to the rear of the receiver.  

I've never heard of the Schuster Nut until now, that could be very cool.  I think though, regardless of whether you have the Nut or not, keep the loads on the low end of the scale, to play it safe.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:07:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
M2 ball can be purchased directly from the CMP

As I live in the People's Republik of Kalifornistan, I cannot shoot the CMP ammo I already have.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As I live in the People's Republik of Kalifornistan, I cannot shoot the CMP ammo I already have.

You can't shoot standard FMJ ?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't shoot standard FMJ ?

Yeah, Why not?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I load my own, I never shoot with factory ammo, unless it surplus stuff originally intended for the Garand.

Stick with standard 150 to 168 grain bullets and IMR4895 powder (the majority of mil M1 ammo was loaded with 4895 and 150 grain FMJ).  

Their was some Korean surplus stuff floating around last year, when I was in the states..shot OK.
The Danish surplus stuff was just excellent, but thier is not much left of it, if any...shot better than the M2 ball from the CMP...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Sir, as has already been mentioned the American Eagle brand 150gr FMJ made by Federal is a good choice.  I use it for sighting my Garand in preparation for the National John C. Garand match because it is the closest equivalent to the issue ammo at Camp Perry.

What's up with the comment that you can't shoot the CMP ammo in Ca.?  Since I don't live there anymore I don't pay much attention to that kind of thing.  HTH, 7zero1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top