Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 3:29:52 PM EDT
  Who makes a better 1911 pistol for a lefty? I am looking at the SA parkerized fullsize, or the Kimber Custom II. Which is better and Why?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
no one?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Between the two, I'd go with the SA mainly because I don't care for the Schwartz-type safety on the series II Kimbers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Best for what ?

One of the Best 1911 type pistols is this.... Although not 'best' for CCW
A good friend who is a lefty shoots this very well and finds it use to use.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had no problems with my SA Mil-Spec.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had zero problems out of my Kimber Stainless Target II. It's chambered in 10mm. I've got over 2500 rounds through it in two and a half years.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#7]
It depends entirely on the task you ask of it and your circumstances.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Definitely the Kimber.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]
My Wilson CQB imo is the best all around 1911:  Defence, Competition, Plinking  it does all well.

I am not left handed, but I practice with my left hand alot, with two hand and one hand grips.  I have the ambi saftey of course.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've had no problems with my SA Mil-Spec.

+1 Same here.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with the SA Parkerized Loaded.  For about $650, you get the front cocking serrations, beavertail, skeleton hammer/trigger, ambi safety, AND novak night sights, yes that's tritium novak night sights!

Reliability is the same as the Kimber, which is essentially 100% or very close to it.  I agree that Kimber QC leaves something to be desired.  My friend just got a Custom II, and the extractor was horribly chipped and the sights were drifted way off target.  

After that, you may want to slap on a Smith and Alexander magwell, if that's your thing, and maybe get some checkering done, and you've got yourself a very well equipped pistol for very cheap.

If you want to do all the customizations yourself, or if you'd rather have a 1911 that's very very close to WWII vintage models, go with the GI model.  Springfield must put some excellent QC into these.  I have fired many, and know many people who have them, and they're all 100% functional out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt all the way. They are making some very good pistols as of late with almost no MIM whatsoever. Had enough problems with SAs MIM parts that I'm dumping the lot. One left to sell. Got them all running but I should not have to do that to 3 1911s in a row bought new.

What pisses me off is $30-$50 bucks worth of better parts would fix the problem once and for all. Fitting them PROPERLY would take just a few more minutes.

Returns would drop by at least 50 to 75% because almost all returns seem to be for the same damn things.

Saw a few Colt 1911s at the last show and a few were priced pretty decently. Less bling but less MIM also.

Nice new SS Govt model for around 7 bills which is quite fair as a SA Milspec SS is $659 in my area. The cheap ass plating on the "SS" small parts just looks........well, cheap. It also has flashing bits here and there on it occasionally.

We'll see how K does going back to the internal extractor. I hope they get it right as the Series I's were some nice guns and are looked for by K admirers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Kimber
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nice new SS Govt model for around 7 bills which is quite fair as a SA Milspec SS is $659 in my area.

You'd be a fool to pay that price.

MT-Gun-Nut, you should give Gilbert's Guns a call.  These folks are out of Kentucky.  Check out the pricing on this Springfield Parkerized Loaded (PX9109L).

I'm not sure if they still have that in stock, but they have great customer service and will order pretty much whatever you want.  They are also out of state for you, so you won't have to pay sales tax for your state if you get it FFL'd in.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for a new Colt.  As said above, Kimber fell into the same trap that tripped up Colt back in the '80s..........cutting corners to sell more pistols.  
Try a new Colt.   I think you'll be pleasently surprised.   My Series 70 "repro" has been 100% since day one!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#18]
i prefer my Kimber TLE II over my SA Loaded or Champion

all are great guns though!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with the SA Parkerized Loaded.  For about $650, you get the front cocking serrations, beavertail, skeleton hammer/trigger, ambi safety, AND novak night sights, yes that's tritium novak night sights!

BIG +1, I have the PX9109L model (Parked loaded), love it.  Has ambi safety, I am a righty but don't have any problems shooting with my weak hand only.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Dan Wesson makes very high quality 1911s, but  I am also very impressed by my Kimber  Ultra CDP II.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice new SS Govt model for around 7 bills which is quite fair as a SA Milspec SS is $659 in my area.

You'd be a fool to pay that price.

MT-Gun-Nut, you should give Gilbert's Guns a call.  These folks are out of Kentucky.  Check out the pricing on this Springfield Parkerized Loaded (PX9109L).

I'm not sure if they still have that in stock, but they have great customer service and will order pretty much whatever you want.  They are also out of state for you, so you won't have to pay sales tax for your state if you get it FFL'd in.

Damn, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#22]
This old war horse! No fancy nightshights, ergo grips, memory bank or whaver the hell they call it.

Lots of scratches, holster wear and still shoots any ammo I feed it:
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Colt Gold Cup.....

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Since I'm not watching the game.  Hearing UCLA getting beat is good enough for me.

I came up with a thought, while debating what might be in the freezer so it isn't all that heavyweight a thought.  

Has anybody ever made a 1911 with the ejection port ejecting to the left for a lefty?  It of course would be a roll your own.  Anybody that has machined their own, and maybe even starting with an 80% kit.  There's ambi safeties, I think I've even seen ambi mag ejects.  You might need to weld up the right side port some and not lower or flare the left side port too much.  Then again, you have the slide release notch in the left side.  Might be taking too much strength out of the frame, although if you could get to that point adding some reinforcement shouldn't be a problem.  Moving the extractor and ejectors wouldn't be all that dificult.

Be a fun project for somebody with more time on their hands and some imagination.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Glock 20 (10mm)

*dives for cover*
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I believe Randall made left handed 1911s back in the 1980s. They are highly sought after and hard to find. There is one on Gunsamerica.com now
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My 4mo old Kimber tactical custom II is soon on it's way back to kimber for a new guide rod and a slide with an internal extractor

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#29]
bump for night crew.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#30]
WHAT!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
WHAT!!

Dude, nobody cares.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WHAT!!

Dude, nobody cares.

WHY???
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I already answered your question to the audience's satisfaction.

The Springfield Armory is better.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#34]
My Kimber TLE/RL II is the nicest 1911 I've every shot and had proved reliable. The only thing I added was a S&A magwell since I use it for IPSC as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok I like my series 70 Gov. Model
I can pick it up from strong or weak side and make it work just fine.
I don't need all the geewizee stuf to make it work.
I know what I carry, right, left it don't matter. It goes BOOM.
Now I don't have experiance with the clones out there so don't slam me on that.
I will not and don't hesitate to carry a 1911 in the origianal configuration. It is simple to learn, and it works.
For my .02's worth, everytime I have picked up/carried one that had the AMBI, safety. It just don't work.
Even a High Power just is not right.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:17:04 AM EDT
[#36]
My "Captain Eagle" Patriot custom 1911 pistol that I made with over 160 hours of labor, blood, sweat, and love.  What a fantastic experience it was.

That being said, I'd go with the Springfield.  You shouldn't pay much more than $500 for a Mil-Spec Springfield though.  Do some heavy shopping online.

The only way I'd own a Kimber is if someone GAVE it to me...and then I'd sell it to buy a decent weapon.  If it isn't a very early Kimber (first 2 years or so), odds are it's not worth half of what you paid for it (in terms of QUALITY).
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:02:34 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a Colt Gold Cup and a Springfield.
I would not buy another Springfield nor a Kimber, nor any other "price point" 1911 except a Colt at the present time.
Wilson's are very nice but probably a bit overpriced.
Here's what I would do.
First concider a new Colt.
Second, perhaps save up some more (a LOT more) and get a Les Baer.

Those are your choices as I see them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I've got a older Kimber (seriesI) that dosen't have the Swartz saftey system, or a external extractor, It was probably one of the last "good" ones made, I've had few problems with it, It's very ,very, reliable, and very,very accurate. I would never part with it. I also have a used SA Mil-spec, also very, very, reliable, The Kimber is more accurate, but it also has better sights, and trigger. The Mil spec needs a little work in the sight and trigger areas but that will come later, I would'nt buy a new Kimber, they have slid downhill in the last few years, first with the stupid saftey system and then that abortion of a external extractor that they could never get to work right, and now have gone back to the internal extractor. S.A. offers a better bang for the buck, new Kimbers are way overated and overpriced. A  S.A. mil-spec is probably the best deal out there in 1911's. Kimber needs to get their heads out of their asses, quit trying to reinvent the 1911, and concentrate on quality, like they used to, Maybe offer a simple no frills 1911, no front serrations, light rails, just decent sights, trigger, well built, tuned for reliablity, accuracy. no dumb shit. K.I.S.S. principal.......  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I've got a older Kimber (seriesI) that dosen't have the Swartz saftey system, or a external extractor, It was probably one of the last "good" ones made, I've had few problems with it, It's very ,very, reliable, and very,very accurate. I would never part with it.

I've got a buddy who had one as you discribe (in stainless).   He sold it, and then after several years, tracked down the "new" owner and bought it back again!

My "new" Colt series 70 is "dead-nutz" reliable.  I've only swapped out a few parts to make her fit my hand a bit more comfortably (retained the arched MSH and added a Wilson beavertail and NOS Colt "commander" ring hammer and added a vintage Veldiki "long" trigger).

No flared and/or lowered ejection port......
No full legnth guide rod.......
No flared mag well.......
No "gas pedal" safety and/or slide stops.....

And she is as reliable as any pistol out there.....for any amount of money!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Glock 20 (10mm)

*dives for cover*

I am with you.

GLOCK Model 21, 30, and 36 (45 ACP)
OKAY, OKAY, HK USP45
because all 1911 owners hope that they have a pistol that shoot AND FEED (aka works) everytime they press their trigger.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:24:31 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Glock 20 (10mm)

*dives for cover*

I am with you.

GLOCK Model 21, 30, and 36 (45 ACP)
OKAY, OKAY, HK USP45
because all 1911 owners hope that they have a pistol that shoot AND FEED (aka works) everytime they press their trigger.

Two myths that run rampant in the gun commumity are one......... .40 and .45ACP Glocks are prone to KB-ing,
And two........ all 1911's are "iffy" at best when it comes to feeding JHP ammo.  My Colt has had absolutely ZERO work to the feedramp/chamber area, and has fed both ball and Speer Gold Dot 230gr "flying ashtrays" with equal success.........several thousand rounds to date without so much as a hiccup!  It ain't 1978 anymore!  Any newly produced 1911-style pistol from Colt, S&W or SigSaur will run like it's supposed to, right out of the box.  Most Kimbers will as well (thankfully, they seem to be dropping their horrendous external extractor for a more conventional internal piece).  If they'd drop the use of all of that MIM garbage, they'd have a superb pistol again.   Springfield Armory pieces are the least expensive of the "quality" 1911's, and therefore are a bit more likely to have "teething issues" when brand new.....but they're still a great value.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:44:29 AM EDT
[#43]
My Kimber is supposedly the worst of the worst, series II, external extractor, aluminum frame, etc.

But it's never failed, never jammed, the most accurate auto pistol I've ever shot, lockup is perfect, fit is perfect, feeds absolutely anything in spec.

My springers are nice too, but the barrels aren't nearly as good, fit and lockup isn't as good, but at least they didn't screw with the design so much.

Had a Colt and didn't trust it, wouldn't run reliably.

All that said, if I were buying a 1911 today, it'd be a Dan Wesson, those are really nice pistols for the money.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:07:15 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
But it's never failed, never jammed, the most accurate auto pistol I've ever shot, lockup is perfect, fit is perfect, feeds absolutely anything in spec.

Impossable!   Everyone knows 1911's are unreliable!  

What Colt did you have?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:27:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Springfield Armory, Kimber, Smith & Wesson and others are offering an enormous number of 1911 variants.  One can get frames of various sizes made from a variety of different materials, different barrel lengths, all sorts of different combinations of features like extended thumb safeties, internal and external extractors, different style grips, different types of firing pin safeties (at least three different designs; all of them of questionable necessity), different sights of all types, front cocking serrations or not, different hammers, triggers, the list just goes on and on and on; different finishes, you name it.
The problem with most of these many, many variants is that these 1911 pistols in the $750.00 through $1,250.00 (approx) price range are all pretty much a crap shoot as to whether or not any specific one example of them that one might buy will actually run correctly out of the box.
IMO this is a really bad state of affairs.
I would prefer that the gun manufacturers cut back on all the bling and make fewer different variants but instead concentrate on just making a few different 1911s that EVERYONE who bought one could BET THEIR LIFE ON!
The gun manufacturers as a general rule are spending way too much time thinking up new TOYS with which to "one up" their competition instead of worrying about making good TOOLS.  And the sorry state of 1911 manufacture sums it all up very well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Read the Hilton Yam's article on choosing a 1911 for duty use, gives you some insight.
www.10-8performance.com/id8.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top