Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 12:53:37 PM EDT
I just tried the (relatively) new Clif Builder Bar (peanut butter flavor).  I have tasted some really nasty protein bars over the years, but the Clif version isn't half bad.

20g protein

8g fat (4.5g saturated) -- I wish it was a bit lower in fat

No trans-fat or dairy (I am lactose intolerant).

$1.50 per bar at Trader Joe's.

Overall, I give it a thumbs-up.  I usually drink 2 cups of non-fat lactose-free milk after every workout but I may start eating the Clif Builder bar as a nice afternoon snack.  I usually eat beef jerky as an afternoon snack but all that salt is getting to me.  

What are your faves in the protein bar world?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You can make your own that will be much better and much cheaper than anything that can be mass-produced.  I used to buy granola bars until I saw how damn cheap and easy they are to make.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally for a daily thing after the workout I prefer the shake (cheaper too), but for on the go then the bars are hard to beat.  Tried a Met-Rx the other day with semi-real tasting caramel and it wasn't half bad...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can make your own that will be much better and much cheaper than anything that can be mass-produced.  I used to buy granola bars until I saw how damn cheap and easy they are to make.

Cool, do you use protein powder to make them?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Can you post or IM me the how to?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
My favorite "protein" bar is teh Tigers Milk peanut butter bar.

IBTLPJ  (in before the liquid "protein" jokes)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

IBTPJ  (in before the "protein" jokes)

just barely made it....

"i've got your protein bar hanging"
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Any traces of dairy at all?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Premier Protein bars from Costco are the best I've tried. You get two boxes of 12 for right around $20.00. Come in three flavors; yogurt crunch, penaut butter, and double chocolate crunch.  The double chocolate crunch are my least favorite of the three, but are still palatable.

They have 30+ grams of protein.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:55:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Well, I am lactose intolerant.  I ate a bar here at work and noticed no ill effects.  

That said, the label says that it contains soy and peanuts and it may contain "traces of dairy and other nuts."  Maybe the "traces" weren't enough to trigger a response in me.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not a huge eater of protein bars, but this recipe is better than the storebought bars I tried.  Got the recipe off of Alton Brown's Good Eats, and it's pretty good.  The initial cost is higher, because you have to buy larger quantities of some ingredients than you need for one batch, but over time it does save quite a bit of money.

Make sure you let them cool completely, or they'll be sticky when you cut them.  The recipe calls for natural peanut butter, but I use regular.  Put in whatever fruit you like.

4 ounces soy protein powder, approximately 1 cup
2 1/4 ounces oat bran, approximately 1/2 cup
2 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 1/2 cup
3/4-ounce wheat germ, approximately 1/4 cup
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 ounces raisins, approximately 1/2 cup
2 1/2 ounces dried cherries, approximately 1/2 cup
3 ounces dried blueberries, approximately 1/2 cup
2 1/2 ounces dried apricots, approximately 1/2 cup
1 (12.3-ounce) package soft silken tofu
1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice
4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/2 cup packed
2 large whole eggs, beaten
2/3 cup natural peanut butter
Canola oil, for pan

Line the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper and lightly coat with canola oil. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the protein powder, oat bran, wheat flour, wheat germ, and salt. Set aside.

Coarsely chop the raisins, dried cherries, blueberries and apricots and place in a small bowl and set aside.

In a third mixing bowl, whisk the tofu until smooth. Add the apple juice, brown sugar, eggs, and peanut butter, 1 at a time, and whisk to combine after each addition. Add this to the protein powder mixture and stir well to combine. Fold in the dried fruit. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#12]
i still think out of all that ive had, the US army "hooah" bar in chocolate is the best...
the apple BLOWS...
www.hooahbar.com/

they have them at wallmart
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I am lactose intolerant.  I ate a bar here at work and noticed no ill effects.  

That said, the label says that it contains soy and peanuts and it may contain "traces of dairy and other nuts."  Maybe the "traces" weren't enough to trigger a response in me.  

I'm extremely sensitive to that stuff, any trace of it and I'll hurl...
Damn...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm extremely sensitive to that stuff, any trace of it and I'll hurl...
Damn...

Sorry to hear that.  I'm pretty sensitive to dairy too but I just get an upset stomach if I eat any dairy.  It sucks that more protein supplements aren't dairy-free, given that most of them have whey or other dairy solids.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
i still think out of all that ive had, the US army "hooah" bar in chocolate is the best...
the apple BLOWS...
www.hooahbar.com/

they have them at wallmart

You........

Are fucking sick.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#16]
To heck with all that... get a big bag of Peanut M&M's.  The perfect energy food... its got your chocolate for energy, and peanuts for protein, all in one neat little package.  And look, it melts in your mouth, not on your hands!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top