Nice looking rifle!

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#2]
puuuuurrty!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#3]
It looks nice.  How does it shoot?

ETA:  Complete rifle from PTR, or built from parts?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Is this a factory rilfe from ??

www.jldenter.com/store/

How does it shoot??
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#5]
JLDs are supposed to superb "clones." Aren't they made on HK machinery/tooling??? I would not hesitate to buy one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Complete rifle. I think it's a discontinued model?
no report yet. I'll probably hit the range over the weekend.
I do want to throw on the collapsible stock though. Not the AR type but the original one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#7]
nice rifle! tagged for range report
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I recently scored a PTR-91.

A sweet shooter, now my favorite among my long arms.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Just an FYI...

The one gun per month program that the Democrats have been proposing is not a challenge!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#11]
How much did it cost you and where did you pick it up at? I don't see any rifles for sale on JLD's website.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How much did it cost you and where did you pick it up at? I don't see any rifles for sale on JLD's website.

Locally $850
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
JLDs are supposed to superb "clones." Aren't they made on HK machinery/tooling??? I would not hesitate to buy one.

yes.

In fact, some of their earlier rifles were built using spare HK parts.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Altantic Firearms has a bunch of different PTR91 models as well as some other HK clones www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/listview.asp?CatId=4
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I shot a friends HK91 with the collapsable stock. It bites pretty hard. Not intolerable, but takes a bit of getting used to.

Hmmmm, maybe it's not worth it. They are a expensive add-on.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#16]
You need to edit the title.. its w00t not Woot.... Dont capitalize the w...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I just picked one up as well! Great minds think alike.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You need to edit the title.. its w00t not Woot....

thanks, I lost my mind a little bit with the excitement.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just picked one up as well! Great minds think alike.

+1
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#20]
My roomate, aka foxxz, got one from Atlantic.  Shoots real nice, he really likes it.  Handguards get hot in a hurry though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice gun, I want one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#22]
nice lookin zombie whacker ya got there son.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My roomate, aka foxxz, got one from Atlantic.  Shoots real nice, he really likes it.  Handguards get hot in a hurry though.

I kind of figured that might be a problem
Looks like I'll be wearing the nomex glove on top of a regular shooting glove
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Very nice!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I shot a friends HK91 with the collapsable stock. It bites pretty hard. Not intolerable, but takes a bit of getting used to.

+1  There's a reason it's known as "the hamburger helper"
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Put some heat reflective tape on the insides of the hand guards. I did that to both my FAL's and it works great.

Do I get this at Home depot or gun shop and what exactly is it since I never heard of this before?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Your post seriously makes me want one (I still don't have a 7.62x51 rifle). It's too bad that I'm getting Lasik surgery this month.

Maybe I'll get one anyway!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Better yet take of the crap furniture JLD uses, and replace with a set of German furniture...

It's a beautiful and well made rifle, I just thought the furniture that came with it was kind of lame, not nearly as nice as real German stuff...

Then again, maybe the latest stuff is better...my s/n was in a pretty low range. Some of the supplied furniture then was known to melt after long strings. The German furniture has metal heat shields in it....
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Better yet take of the crap furniture JLD uses, and replace with a set of German furniture...

It's a beautiful and well made rifle, I just thought the furniture that came with it was kind of lame, not nearly as nice as real German stuff...

Then again, maybe the latest stuff is better...my s/n was in a pretty low range. Some of the supplied furniture then was known to melt after long strings. The German furniture has metal heat shields in it....

That is the only complaint I've heard about JLDs (I've heard it before your post a couple of times).
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the only complaint I've heard about JLDs (I've heard it before your post a couple of times).

How much would an HK set cost?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

That's one of the things that ticks me off about JLD's new site.  They don't actually list any of the rifles they produce along with MSRP.  Just to look at their site you'd think they only sold or manufactured accessories for HKs and FALs.  Their old site, while ugly, atleast listed their available firearms.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Hope it has a better trigger than my CETME. My cocking handle's really tough, too. I'd imagine that's not an issue with PTRs.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Nice rifle, one of those is very high on my next-purchase list.

Another solution to the handguards might be a Bruegger & Thomet handguard

eta: that link just goes to the B&T homepage, for some stupid reason. You'll have to find it on your own
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I just got done doing a field strip and lube on it and that bolt is a little tricky the first time
Otherwise she's a simple gun.
The cocking handle kinda sticks though. I'm hoping it gets a little smoother over time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How much would an HK set cost?

Pretty cheap for the straight green slim forearm set...I think I paid around $35 or $40 for an excellent set from Dan's Ammo in PA....had forearm, pistol grip and complete buttstock/buffer assembly....
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#38]
best mags for this puppy.
Steel, aluminum, don't matter?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#39]
nice!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Two, I bought a JDL PTR91 last weekend.

Mine has the wide handguards (for the bipod), heat is not an issue.
Mine is an "A" prefix serial number, I called JDL and confirmed that it is a JDL build.

I got a claw mount and a Bushnell scope (think Eotech without the rectical and the shroud) with it  and it was private party for 1K.

I shot a friends HK91, his "hamburger helper" slid on my PTR with no problems.
The only place I can find one of them is at www.robertrtg.com/ for $230.

I bought 4 20 round HK aluminum mags from JDL, I wish I could find 30 round mags.

Bill Springfield was recomended for an affordable trigger job, if you have the money then Williams Trigger is the guy to talk to.
[email protected]
www.williamstriggers.com/

The JDL91 is just as much fun to shoot as my DSA STG58 FAL is.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow. Nice looking PTR!

I like the new railed handguards (I think you have to buy the attachment rails seperately).

I already have one but it's the old version with no flash hider and a slimline forend. I am thinking a Kurz model with the rail handguards would be cool. Man I want one of those now!

ETA: I've had mine for a couple years and the cocking handle is still kind of sticky. I consider it a minor nuisance. I think that's just how they are.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Amatuers.

Real HK91A3, NIB
Springfield SAR 3 with barrel collar.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Nice!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Nice rifle.

1)  The alloy mags should be fine.  I had steel and alloy for my CETME and the fk-ups were never mag related.  Buy two dozen of the $3 G3 mags and have at it.

2)  The cocking handle is my only complaint on .308-sized CETME/HK weapons platforms.  It takes some getting used to.

3)  I'm not a huge fan of the thin, perforated handguards.  Have you fondled the HK91 "wide" handguards?  I think they feel a million times better!  EDIT:  Check out KA3B's.

4)  Do some research before you scope that bad boy.  The cheapo scope mounts are bad ju ju.

5)  Don't shoot your hand.

- BG
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

- BG

Was that necessary?  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Nice rifle.

1)  The alloy mags should be fine.  I had steel and alloy for my CETME and the fk-ups were never mag related.  Buy two dozen of the $3 G3 mags and have at it.

2)  The cocking handle is my only complaint on .308-sized CETME/HK weapons platforms.  It takes some getting used to.

3)  I'm not a huge fan of the thin, perforated handguards.  Have you fondled the HK91 "wide" handguards?  I think they feel a million times better!  EDIT:  Check out KA3B's.

4)  Do some research before you scope that bad boy.  The cheapo scope mounts are bad ju ju.

- BG

I'm going to try both mags and see how I like them.
Cocking handle is kinda awkward to operate
Source?
I think I'm going to stick to irons for now.
Bastard
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Congrats on the purchase. It looks like a nice piece.

I have an original Hk91 that I've been shooting for 20 years. To be honest, the HK93 and HK91 are the most reliable weapons I've ever owned. In 20 years I've fired maybe 10,000 rounds of every kind of junk .308 surplus ammo on the market through my Hk91, and it's NEVER EVER malfunctioned ONE TIME. It's also one of the most accurate military weapons I've ever owned and ranks right up there with most bolt action rifles.

I have a full stock and collapsible stock for my HK91. The collapsible stock should be considered "for emergency use only". It will tear your shoulder up and bruise your cheek bone. The collapsible stock is fine for the low recoiling HK93 (.223).

I have a bunch of original aluminum and steel mags that I've been shooting for 20 years and neither have ever failed. I should note that I'm talking about range use only. If I wanted SHTF mags, I definitely go for the steel. The steel mags would certainly take much more abuse than the aluminum mags would. If you're not going to abuse the mags, the aluminum will work fine for many years. If they were the same price, I'd take the steel. Typically steel are more expensive. I just bought 10 brand-new-in-the-wrap HK aluminum mags at a gun show for $5 each. They are almost disposable at that price.

BTW, Here's a little reassembly trick for the HK. The bolt will be compressed on the bolt-carrier when you reassemble the bolt onto the carrier, and you won't be able to insert the carrier into the receiver until you retract/unlock the bolt. Just reverse the carrier into the receiver and smack it with your hand. It will retract/unlock the bolt.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Congrats on the purchase. It looks like a nice piece.

I have an original Hk91 that I've been shooting for 20 years. To be honest, the HK93 and HK91 are the most reliable weapons I've ever owned. In 20 years I've fired maybe 10,000 rounds of every kind of junk .308 surplus ammo on the market through my Hk91, and it's NEVER EVER malfunctioned ONE TIME. It's also one of the most accurate military weapons I've ever owned and ranks right up there with most bolt action rifles.

I have a full stock and collapsible stock for my HK91. The collapsible stock should be considered "for emergency use only". It will tear your shoulder up and bruise your cheek bone. The collapsible stock is fine for the low recoiling HK93 (.223).

I have a bunch of original aluminum and steel mags that I've been shooting for 20 years and neither have ever failed. I should note that I'm talking about range use only. If I wanted SHTF mags, I definitely go for the steel. The steel mags would certainly take much more abuse than the aluminum mags would. If you're not going to abuse the mags, the aluminum will work fine for many years. If they were the same price, I'd take the steel. Typically steel are more expensive. I just bought 10 brand-new-in-the-wrap HK aluminum mags at a gun show for $5 each. They are almost disposable at that price.

BTW, Here's a little reassembly trick for the HK. The bolt will be compressed on the bolt-carrier when you reassemble the bolt onto the carrier, and you won't be able to insert the carrier into the receiver until you retract/unlock the bolt. Just reverse the carrier into the receiver and smack it with your hand. It will retract/unlock the bolt.

Thats been my experience as well.  The damn A3 stocks look cool but thats about it.  The A2 stocks are much better at least on the 91. I am a lefty and I dont like how the original grip felt.  So I got the striaght plastic FBI versions with no bulges.  

Very accurate and very reliable.

I think PTRs are nice guns for what they are but I really get a chuckle when people say they are better then the real things.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#49]
BTW, The cocking handle will be hard to initially pull back (first stage of pulling it) on the HK91 due to the fact that you are over-coming the resistance of the bolt claw-locking lever for the first approx. 1/2" of bolt travel.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
BTW, The cocking handle will be hard to initially pull back (first stage of pulling it) on the HK91 due to the fact that you are over-coming the resistance of the bolt claw-locking lever for the first approx. 1/2" of bolt travel.

that explains it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top