Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 10:38:55 AM EDT
Name some revolutions throughout history that have been successful other than the U.S.

ETA: Also by successful I mean that the country was better off after the revolution.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Industrial revolution?  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Might want to define "successful".

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]
French Revolution!
It just took about 40 years for things to get better.

The English Revolution made started off better.

The Cuban Revolution! (Just kidding.)

A lot of Latin America had good revolutions throwing off their Spanish oppressors.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Our American Revolution!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Revolution Number Nine.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#6]

The earth, every twenty four hours, revolves successfully.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#7]
The "counterculture" revolution.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Not The Matrix Revolutions.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Battle of Bannockburn in 1314 (I think) When Robert the Bruce battled for Scotland's freedom against the English..
Scotland enjoyed her freedom until 1745 and then fell back once again under English rule.

I'd say they were due.....

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Dance Dance Revolution
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Battle of Bannockburn in 1314 (I think) When Robert the Bruce battled for Scotland's freedom against the English..
Scotland enjoyed her freedom until 1745 and then fell back once again under English rule.

They don't call it the United Kingdom for nothin'.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anarchy in the UK

I am an anti-Christ
I am an anarchist,
don't know what I want
but I know how to get it.
I wanna destroy the passer by
'cos I wanna be anarchy,
Ho dogs body

Anarchy for the UK
It's coming sometime and maybe
I give a wrong time stop a traffic line.
Your future dream is a shopping scheme
cause I wanna be anarchy,
It's in the city

How many ways to get what you want
I use the best I use the rest
I use the enemy.
I use anarchy
'cause I wanna be anarchy,

Its the only way to be

Is this the MPLA
or is this the UDA
or is this the IRA
I thought it was the UK
or just another country
another council tenancy.

I wanna be an anarchist
(oh what a name)
And l wanna be an anarchist
(I get pissed destroy)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Is this another one of those who wants a civil war in the US?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trust me: if you mistake an Irishman or a Scotsman for a Briton, they'll be plenty pissed. It's kinda like calling a guy from Texas a New Yorker.

Besides...the only reason they're "united" right now is because after they won, the Brits took all the Scots guns away...

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Technically, the American Revolution wasn't a "revolution" in that it didn't overthrow and replace an existing gov't. It was a war of colonial independence and separation.

True revolutions are much harder to win and more prone to successive failures & counter-revolutions than wars of independence.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Technically, the American Revolution wasn't a "revolution" in that it didn't overthrow and replace an existing gov't. It was a war of colonial independence and separation.

True revolutions are much harder to win and more prone to successive failures & counter-revolutions than wars of independence.

I also believe that if we did have our own revolution/civil war, the rest of the world would be jumping in to help tear this country apart and turn it into a 3rd world shithole.

The rest of the world would love for us to have an internal revolution, they are drooling at the prospect.  Plus, a lot of those preaching this crap have never seen combat of any kind.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#18]
the bolshevik revolution, where they cast out the running dog bourgeoise oppressors of the proletariat masses.

until they became running dog bourgeoise oppressors themselves
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I also believe that if we did have our own revolution/civil war, the rest of the world would be jumping in to help tear this country apart and turn it into a 3rd world shithole.

The rest of the world would love for us to have an internal revolution, they are drooling at the prospect.  Plus, a lot of those preaching this crap have never seen combat of any kind.

I agree with every word you posted here 1,000%.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
the bolshevik revolution, where they cast out the running dog bourgeoise oppressors of the proletariat masses.

Yeah, that worked out great, didn't it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that worked out great, didn't it.hacko.gif

apparently fairly obvious humor is lost on some
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Name some revolutions throughout history that have been successful other than the U.S.

ETA: Also by successful I mean that the country was better off after the revolution.

I think you need to rethink your definition of successful.

A successsful revolution is one where the revolutionaries won.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Dance Dance Revolution

Didn't Prince lead a Revolution?  And maybe a New Revolution?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Is this another one of those who wants a civil war in the US?

No, I need some examples for a paper I have to write.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you need to rethink your definition of successful.

A successsful revolution is one where the revolutionaries won.

I thought it would have been obvious enough that a revolution would only be successful if the revolutionaries won.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#26]
The sexual revolution?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#27]
China- although I don't know if they were better off afterwards or not....not familiar with contemporary China pre-communism.

Cuba was also a successful armed revolution......

Mexico has had several successful revolutions- the French, Spanish, themselves.....etc Actually, as recentlt as 1996 the Chiapas Indians were rebelling, although they were largely given what they had been demanding (self determination, land, mineral rights, etc...), so that could be considered successful.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#28]
The Vietnamese revolution of 1949 to 1975.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The sexual revolution?

My DD-214 says I'm a veteran of the sexual revolution

But seriously, the velvet revolution?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Some folks considered Haiti to be a succesful rebellion too.
Really depends on what your definition of "rebellion" or "revolution" is- ie- limited "guerilla" type activity to affect political change (Colombia), "terroristic" activity (IRA/Ireland), country wide civil war etc.....
And successful- as well. There have been quite a few that accomplished their aims, but generally not to establish democratic governments.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Some folks considered Haiti to be a succesful rebellion too.
Really depends on what your definition of "rebellion" or "revolution" is- ie- limited "guerilla" type activity to affect political change (Colombia), "terroristic" activity (IRA/Ireland), country wide civil war etc.....
And successful- as well. There have been quite a few that accomplished their aims, but generally not to establish democratic governments.

Ever see a white Haitian? Yeah, I would call that one successful.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Iranian Revolution of 1979.... they overthrew their dictator, only to be replaced by another dictator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top