User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 8:28:32 PM EDT

retitled for clarity

Interesting.

Rupert Murdoch and Hugh Hefner Strike Landmark Deal
April 1, 2006
Associated Press

Los Angeles, Rupert Murdoch expanded his media empire with the aquisition of Playboy Enterainment Inc late Friday evening after month-long secret talks with PEI CEO Christie Hefner and Hugh Hefner, the founder of the brand. Murdoch will aquire 51% PEI stock pending approval by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

"Playboy has always been a star-making venue," Hefner said. "I think this opens enourmous opportunities for our girls."

Mr. Murdoch was more reserved, however he did acknowledge that the popularity of his Fox News Channel was largely due to what are commonly called "Info-Babes" in industry circles.

"The idea of adding a playmate to the Fox News Channel roster is a distict possibility," Murdoch conceeded. He refuesed, however, to acknowledge that this had anything to do with his desire to aquire the Bunny Brand.

"I want to bring Playboy back to its former glory," Murdoch explained. "I think Christy has done a fine job keeping it going. We're going to be working very closely to bring Playboy into the 21st Century."

When asked how Murdoch convined the Playboy-in-Chief to part with his controlling interest, the response was a very terse "no comment."

I did a spell check on this after I changed the title. I didn't correct any of the spelling but how in the world did AP let this one get out?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
hmmm....

Given that Hef or Christy have run the show since the beginning I can't imagine that this is going to end well.

Rupert is trying to extend his control of the media as much as he can and I really can't think of many "embrace and devour" acquisitions that have come off well in the past few years.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#2]
greeeeat

another great brand will become corrupted and fucked over
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Happy April Fools Day.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]
What's not an April Fool's Day joke is the owner of the "Girls Gone Wild" stuff is looking to buy Playboy. Hef can't live forever, despite him thinking so & daughter has run Playboy into the ground with the siliconed bimbo blondes, IMO. Not to mention she's HUGELY liberal & anti-gun.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Happy April Fools Day.

looks like it to me, once I read the part about playmates becoming fox anchor babes
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
greeeeat

another great brand will become corrupted and fucked over

Yeah. There's just something genuine about fake, plasticky, airbrushed women.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]

If it is a joke it's on AP as well.

What's the line from that Eagles song.............The bubble headed bleach blonde comes on at 5.....she can tell you about a plane crash with a gleam in her eye.................
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What's the line from that Eagles song.............The bubble headed bleach blonde comes on at 5.....she can tell you about a plane crash with a gleam in her eye.................

Close. Don Henley, "Dirty Laundry".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top