Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 7:49:33 PM EDT

Borders, Waldenbooks Won't Carry Magazine

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Borders and Waldenbooks stores will not stock the April-May issue of Free Inquiry magazine because...

Hmmm, first try to guess why (answer given at bottom of post).

What could be so offensive in one article of the most recent issue of "Free Inquiry" magazine that Borders Books refuses to carry it?

Could it be too sexually risque for the bookstore chain that also carries FHM, Playboy and Penthouse?

Ahh, nope.
Could it be filled with plagiarized or falsified material so that the bookstore chain which carries "Roots" and "A Million Little Pieces" won't carry it?

Wrong again.
Could it be offensive to Christian conservatives - like the "art" books that they still carry with pictures of "Piss Christ" and "Elephant Dung Mary"?

Pffft. Not a chance.
Hmm... what could it be in that one magazine published by the Council for Secular Humanism that would cause one of the largest bookstore chains in the nation to refuse to carry it?
Think.....
Why would Borders Books and Waldenbooks BAN just one issue of "FREE INQUIRY" magazine?
Let me give you a hint:

Of COURSE!!!!!

It offends the ROPers!!!

Borders, Waldenbooks Won't Carry Magazine

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Borders and Waldenbooks stores will not stock the April-May issue of Free Inquiry magazine because it contains cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad that provoked deadly protests among Muslims in several countries.

"For us, the safety and security of our customers and employees is a top priority, and we believe that carrying this issue could challenge that priority," Borders Group Inc. spokeswoman Beth Bingham said Wednesday.
{TRANSLATION: The Religion of Peace will kill us if we dare question their "peacefulness".}

The magazine, published by the Council for Secular Humanism in suburban Amherst, includes four of the drawings that originally appeared in a Danish newspaper in September, including one depicting Muhammad wearing a bomb-shaped turban with a lit fuse.
{Oh the HORROR!!!!!!}  

Islamic tradition bars depiction of Muhammad to prevent idol worship, which is strictly prohibited.
{And so Borders & Waldenbooks surrenders its freedom of speech to Islam. This is not an Islamic Nation, our population is only about 2% Muslim, but our gov't and society will bow down to Islam at every chance and follow "Islamic Tradition" anyway.}

"What is at stake is the precious right of freedom of expression," said Paul Kurtz, editor-in-chief of Free Inquiry. "Cartoons often provide an important form of political satire ... To refuse to distribute a publication because of fear of vigilante violence is to undermine freedom of press _ so vital for our democracy."

Bingham said the decision was made before the magazine arrived at the company's stores. Borders Group, based in Ann Arbor, Mich., operates more than 475 Borders and 650 Waldenbooks stores in the United States, though not all regularly carry the magazine.

"We absolutely respect our customers' right to choose what they wish to read and buy and we support the First Amendment," Bingham said. "And we absolutely support the rights of Free Inquiry to publish the cartoons. We've just chosen not to carry this particular issue in our stores."
{Fucking Islamobowing hypocrites!}

The cartoons, which were reprinted in European and American papers in January and February, sparked a wave of protests around the Islamic world. Protesters were killed in some of the most violent demonstrations and several European embassies were attacked.

Letter to Borders & Waldenbooks explaining why they will get no my money from me in April & May is coming....

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Monday bump.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Unbelievable.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#3]
What a bunch of cock knockers.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Amazon.com is better anyway.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
email sent
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Fuck them BOTH.

And Fuck Allah.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Amazon.com is better anyway.

and is basically the same thing
www.waldenbooks.com goes to amazon
as does borders.com
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]
There is just another example that terrorism works and cannot be defeated using conventional thinking.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I kept wondering why Buffalo was at the beginning of the article, then I saw the magazine is absed out of where I live, Amherst
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I doubt it's PC driven.  The lawyers and the bean counters simply ran the numbers and they didn't add up.  Too much potential downside and little upside.  If it would serve their bottom line to flay little puppies, they'd do it.

Remember, the almighty dollar above all things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top