Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 7:24:38 PM EDT
Looking at what college is going cost me (nearly $40k a year) is joining the reserves a viable option to pay for these expsenses? A recruiter told me i could get 20k a year for school, but i have a friend who's cousin is in the reserves... he claims he's been in for 2 years and the army has only given him 11k and he's shipping off to iraq within a month (he's going awol )

So i'm not quite sure who to believe... i'm sure the recruiter will tell me anything to get me to sign on the dotted line, and my friends cousin is a little jaded so i'm kinda confused.

So if i do join what happens? How much could i get, when could they ship me off to war if need be, and would i have to serve after college?

thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#1]
why not give ROTC a try instead?  that way there'd be less of a chance that your education would be interrupted by having to be deployed before you graduate.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
why not give ROTC a try instead?  that way there'd be less of a chance that your education would be interrupted by having to be deployed before you graduate.

and you could get a scholarship, commission as an officer, and have a guaranteed job when you get out
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Shanny is that you?  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's the facts..  Right now, we are at war.  Join the reserves and expect to be activated.  Expect to be deployed and expect to stay there until the gov decides to let you go.  You will not get preferential treatment if you are a student.  You get mobilized mid semester, tough shit sailor.  If you are looking for $$ for college it is a decent option.  I dont know that they will pay everything but in PA you will get a nice chunk from the state for being a vet also.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Military isnt something you do for the college money.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]
So while i'm at school i could be pulled out at any moment to fight?

If i go ROTC do i get less money? and how long do i have to serve? Its not that i wouldn't mind that at all, but that'd be a major inconvience though...

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Looking at what college is going cost me (nearly $40k a year) is joining the reserves a viable option to pay for these expsenses? A recruiter told me i could get 20k a year for school, but i have a friend who's cousin is in the reserves... he claims he's been in for 2 years and the army has only given him 11k and he's shipping off to iraq within a month (he's going awol )

So i'm not quite sure who to believe... i'm sure the recruiter will tell me anything to get me to sign on the dotted line, and my friends cousin is a little jaded so i'm kinda confused.

So if i do join what happens? How much could i get, when could they ship me off to war if need be, and would i have to serve after college?

thanks

Your friends cousin is an ass.  He sounds like one of those "I only signed up for college money, I didn't expect to really have to fight or be a REAL soldier. Whaaaa, mommy."

I would suggest if you have any inkling of a doubt about military service you not enlist in the reserves, guard or R/A.  The Army considers you a SOLDIER FIRST, then a student.  

No shame is not enlisting if it's not your cup of tea.  If you feel you would like the military, do as others have suggested and go ROTC.  At least you would be an officer when you were done.  just my .02$ YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Jesus H. Christ!  

It's the Army, not a scholarship contest. If that's what your looking for, try the Miss America pagent.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So if i do join what happens?

You will be part of the finest fighting force this world has ever seen.

Quoted:
How much could i get?

At least $20,000 a year.

Quoted:
would i have to serve after college?

No.  That is an ugly rumor.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If i go ROTC do i get less money? and how long do i have to serve?

Q1, Yes you could.  

Q2,  I have no idea.  But Military service is not something you should look at solely for paying for college.  If you haev other reasons and that is just the one were talking about here well then fine.  But if its not, I think you will be displeased with the results you recieve.  

Semper Paratus ( 4 yrs my self, as well as both brothers and parents, so I'm not full of shit here bro).
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]
ROTC might be a better option... since i could better plan things. I dunno what the army could do with me and my animation degree lol... but eh i could always just get a student loan and pay them off for the rest of my life....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#12]
First, know this............ you WILL deploy. You will most likely deploy within 1 year of finishing AIT. You may not deploy in the MOS you signed up for but instead be retrained based upon the needs of the Army.

If you deply with your unit you will usually have enough warning these days to finish a semeter. If you get cross leveled to another unit you will not.

Money? Pick the right MOS and you can get an assload of money in college loan repayment, plus reserve GI bill plus your drill pay. www.goarmy.com will have all the current amounts.

Life experience? A deployment will teach you more than college or the first few years on any civilian job ever could.

But rest assured you will deploy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hmmm if i go ROTC how much money would i get? and how long do i have to serve?

This might be a better option... since i could better plan things. I dunno what the army could do with me and my animation degree lol... but eh i could always just get a student loan and pay them off for the rest of my life....

I know a cute little ensign.  She was ROTC out of Drexel University.  With college and the eight years she owes to the USN she figures she's best just to do twenty and find a new career when she retires..

They pay for your college and their gonna get their money out of you one way or another..
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Go talk to the ROTC coordinator for your school, he will be the best source for infomation.  Also you might want to remind your friends cousin going AWOL during a time of war isn't all that bright.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#15]
WTF kind of Collage cost 40K a year?

And what are you going to be doing that costs you 40K a year?

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Go talk to the ROTC coordinator for your school, he will be the best source for infomation.  Also you might want to remind your friends cousin going AWOL during a time of war isn't all that bright.

I haven't met him, but from what i hear he just doesn't want to fight in a war he belives is "unjust".... thats not what he signed up for lol.... oh well i'm not sure if he's serious or not, but that is a very bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#17]
The military should be the last place to look if your primary interest is money for school.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Depending upon the course, at Harvard or Yale costs can run you $60K-80K a year EASILY!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

USC,  going to major in Cinema/Television animation.... Thats not factoring in my scholarships though, but it should hover around 30k since i'm out of state.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#20]
U Mich would of cost me $38k a year, out of state.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1

It's the easiest way to go LT, and if you can get the scholorship you have a free ride (including BAS (eg food money)) thru college - no book charges, full tuition, etc...

Otherwise, you'd better have another motivation for joining up - those who join 'just for the college money' are the first ones to say 'fuck this shit' when it gets rough....

Oh, if you go reserves plan on being activated for extended periods of time....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Join out of respect and honor for those who joined before you.  Join to contribute to our Nation.  Join to help defeat the Muslim threat.  Don't join for the money.  It would be more lucrative, less painful, and more honorable to get your collage money man-whoring for old fat ladies.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Inconvenience?  I will have to remember that one
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus H. Christ!  

It's the Army, not a scholarship contest. If that's what your looking for, try the Miss America pagent.

+1

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I fourth (or whatever) the ROTC option. If you are fixed on using the military to pay your way through college, then ROTC has two benefits.

1) I think your education is far more important to you than any service. (You, in general, not you personally). Being sent to fight a war half-way-through plays hell on your learning, it's not worth it. You can get the service bit out of the way afterwards. (If you want, try for a Guard slot out of ROTC, though I know it's not guaranteed)

2) Probably a lot easier to go to war as an LT than as a private. More money, for starters. It's also more work and less sleep (Well, for me it was) but less labour.

NTM
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Military isnt something you do for the college money.

But the money is nice.  I enjoy the $725/month I get as a part time student
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top