Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 5:40:56 PM EDT
Does anybody know the origin of the term "Bada Bing" as used in the Sopranos?

No googling etc.!  That's cheating.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
As a term, I would guess from the M1 Garand.

I. e., bada-bada-bada-bada-bada-bada-bada-bada-BING!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
As a term, I would guess from the M1 Garand.

I. e., bada-bada-bada-bada-bada-bada-bada-bada-BING!

That would make sense
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does anybody know the origin of the term "Bada Bing" as used in the Sopranos?

No googling etc.!  That's cheating.

You just gonna leave us hanging, or are you going to give us the real answer?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
isn't the strip club named the Bada Bing?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Article about Bada Bing getting added into New Oxford Dictionary.  Here is the explanation.  Don't forget "bada bing," which the OED classifies as an exclamation, also found in the form "bada bing bada boom." It's something that "will happen effortlessly and predictably," the definition explains; the origin is "probably imitating the sound of a drumroll."
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Kinda like shit happens.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like something the Diceman would have come up with.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Drumroll?
What kind of fucktard would say a drumroll.

It comes from the sound of a RIM SHOT on a drum set (not that kind of rim shot you sick fucking deranged preverts).
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Just saw it, "Sonny" on the Godfather I talking to his brother "Michael" and he used the term bada bing.  It is in the scene where "Michael" comes up with the plan to kill the Narcotic's gangster Sollozzo and the Irish Cop on the take.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know, but it pisses me off.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Alright, here's the answer.  The mobster term "bada bing" is from a line in the Godfather:  

MICHAEL

They wanna have a meeting with me, right? It will be me -- McCluskey -- and Sollozzo.

Let's set the meeting. Get our informers to find out where it's gonna be held. Now, we insist

it's a public place -- a bar, a restaurant -- some place where there's people so I feel safe.

They're gonna search me when I first meet them, right, so I can't have a weapon on me then.

But if Clemenza can figure a way -- to have a weapon planted there for me -- then I'll kill

'em both.

SONNY

Hey, whataya gonna do, nice college boy, eh? Didn't want to get mixed up in the Family

business, huh? Now you wanna gun down a police captain, why, because he slapped ya in

the face a little bit? Hah? What do you think this is the Army, where you shoot'em a mile

away? You've gotta get up close like this and bada-bing! you blow their brains all over your

nice Ivy League suit. Come're...

I'd seen the movie 100 times and never heard that expression used in it until a few nights ago.  

Now, the term bada bing may be older than that, but all the googling I've done doesn't reveal an earlier etymology.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Mary Mary quite contrary...........
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
isn't the strip club named the Bada Bing?

In the Sopranos.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mary Mary quite contrary...........

Hickory Dickory Dock...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top