Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 2:04:18 PM EDT
I work in the Cath Lab at a rather PC hospital.  Firearms and other weapons aren't allowed, even in your car in the parking lot.  They were very specific about this during orientation.  So, what to when you need the job to survive?  Well, when the lab bought my lead protection, I got to have a logo embroidered on it under my name:

(the colors even match the arfcom skin color I've chosen)

It'll be interesting to see how the hospital handles the new CCW law.  I just hope the legislature passes the parking lot law next year as planned.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Looking at our pay/holiday calendar, I see my hospital has renamed Columbus Day "Family Wellness Day"
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I always ignore the "No guns in your car while in our parking lot" BS. They have NO authority to tell me what I can and cannot have in my vehicle. Its private property

Nico logo though
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm just starting an assignment with IBM in a few weeks. They have the same rule...nothing in your PERSONAL VEHICLE on company property. I'm glad to see that the NRA is challenging several companies who fired employees when their PERSONAL VEHICLES were searched on company property and hunting rifles were found in locked cases. The company cops were tipped off by someone who heard the ex-employees talking about going hunting after work.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I always ignore the "No guns in your car while in our parking lot" BS. They have NO authority to tell me what I can and cannot have in my vehicle. Its private property

You own your company's parking lot?  

How is the personal property of your car different from the personal property of your clothes?  If you ignore company policy that prohibits guns in a car on company property, why not ignore their policy about guns on your person on company property altogether and just carry concealed.  I honestly do not see the distcintion between ignoring one rule but obeying the other.

When I decided to take the money that my employer gives me, I implicitly agreed to follow their rules, no matter how retarded.  If they are too retarded for me to live with, I'll find someplace else to work.  When I am going to the shooting range after work, I park on the street, not in their private property parking lot.  To me, walking an extra 100 feet is worth it.

Plus, I've been accidentally towed once (where they entered the car) - and woudl hate to be fired over something like that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I work in the Cath Lab at a rather PC hospital.  Firearms and other weapons aren't allowed, even in your car in the parking lot.  They were very specific about this during orientation.  So, what to when you need the job to survive?  Well, when the lab bought my lead protection, I got to have a logo embroidered on it under my name:

img51.imageshack.us/img51/3803/leadprotection6vv.jpg

It'll be interesting to see how the hospital handles the new CCW law.  I just hope the legislature passes the parking lot law next year as planned.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it will be interesting to see how your hospital handles you. Knowing how hospitals are, I'd be updating my resume if I were you. I'd also be expecting a visit from the security chief. Hospitals are high-stress workplaces full of overeducated, dotty, know-better-than-everybody-else liberals, and they are afraid of employees and patients going postal.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When I am going to the shooting range after work, I park on the street, not in their private property parking lot.  To me, walking an extra 100 feet is worth it.

Unfortunately, I would have to park 2 blocks away in order to do that.  My concern is when some nurse gets attacked by her violent ex-husband/bf who waited for her at her home and she had no way of keeping her CCW in the car for when she's off hospital property.  Hopefully it won't happen, but if it does, I would hope she sues the hospital for all it's worth for prohibiting her the means to defend herself outside of the hospital.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Why would you ever tell them you have a gun in your car?

And never, ever, ever give anyone permission to search your vehicle, no matter who they are or what they say. EVER.
Cops with a warrant only.

Or just park elsewhere.

But why ever say a word about it?
I don't get it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#9]
You should have had "I am a Muslim" printed on it instead.
Would have had the same effect but ensured your job security.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You should have had "I am a Muslim" printed on it instead.
Would have had the same effect but ensured your job security.

Why would putting a symbol of what our men and women in the military use as a sign of support for them, jeapordize my job security?  I have a classmate who commanded a tank battallion in Iraq (I think it was that big.  He retired as a colonel when he got back).  If a tank had been an available logo, I would have considered it.  The rifle was the only logo that was related to the military.  Doesn't hurt that I use one for hunting and will eventually get into National Match competition with one, either.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Visual representation of ScaryEvilBR + Hospital staff = HR PC shit storm
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yeah, but the PR of going after someone because they wanted to show support for the folks sacrificing their lives would not be good for them.  This town has quite a few people overseas right now.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#13]

The parking lot IS private property   ..... theirs.      And if you don't follow their posted rules, you can take a hike - just like how you can be asked to leave from someplace for refusing to allow them to search your backpack or whatnot.  The BoR limits THE GOVERNMENT, and only the government.

Yes, the policy is retarded, but it's still their right to act retarded if they choose to do so, other legislation notwithstanding.  (such as forcing them to allow weapons in their lots, which is also retarded, even if we like that particular effect)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:13:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img51.imageshack.us/img51/3803/leadprotection6vv.jpg

Don't take this the wrong way, but it will be interesting to see how your hospital handles you. Knowing how hospitals are, I'd be updating my resume if I were you. I'd also be expecting a visit from the security chief. Hospitals are high-stress workplaces full of overeducated, dotty, know-better-than-everybody-else liberals doctors , and they are afraid of employees and patients going postal.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:42:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Don't take this the wrong way, but it will be interesting to see how your hospital handles you. Knowing how hospitals are, I'd be updating my resume if I were you. I'd also be expecting a visit from the security chief. Hospitals are high-stress workplaces full of overeducated, dotty, know-better-than-everybody-else liberals, and they are afraid of employees and patients going postal.

Correct. You saved me alot of typing.
I am a hospital supervisor. I am way to the right, enjoy all the shit talked about in this site and some that I won't mention. I hate anti-gunners and their rules.
My facility is a no CCW in doors.
I have a glock zipper pull on my lunch bag and talk shooting and guns with many people around the place. No problem.
When it comes to dealing with the public/patients you leave parts of you that may be slightly contoversal at home.
If I am an old gun scared patient having a heart cath, I don't want to look up while I'm scared to death and see your rifle. That is not the place.
I would bet that you are "know" as the guy who likes guns and thrive on it.
Since you don't understand the above you are in the wrong place to work.
Besides, you are rebelling against the rules....passive crap like that always is a bad sign, and the man's eye is on you. Why bring attention to yourself. I've never understood it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:43:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but the PR of going after someone because they wanted to show support for the folks sacrificing their lives would not be good for them.  This town has quite a few people overseas right now.

That's weak.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:07:05 AM EDT
[#17]

The BoR limits THE GOVERNMENT, and only the government.

You might want to rethink that one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:15:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top