Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 10:40:53 AM EDT
Even if the Dems don't regain at least one house in Congress this term and start pumping out a bunch of ANTI legislation, they will eventually someday.  To argue otherwise is illogical.

Does anyone consider the purchase of an EBR receiver or other parts/rifles to be a monetary investment?

If I had any money, I'd buy a Barrett .50.  Those are first on my endagered species list.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#1]
i think class 3 stuff is where you'd see the most appreciation if you wanted a firearm as an "investment".
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#2]
at the same time, does anyone fear buying stuff for the idea they could ban the shit and demand you turn them in, without payback, rather than to grandfather the stuff people already own?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
at the same time, does anyone fear buying stuff for the idea they could ban the shit and demand you turn them in, without payback, rather than to grandfather the stuff people already own?

thats why you need to buy a boat....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i think class 3 stuff is where you'd see the most appreciation if you wanted a firearm as an "investment".

Firearms are not good investments...If you are like me, I cant sell shit once I buy it... I will NEVER sell my M16... EVER....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I think that Class 3 will no longer show the kind of appreciation that it did in the 90s... the prices are already outrageous and beyond most buyers. As the prices rise further, the market will shrink.

"Assault Weapons" on the other hand are relatively cheap to buy now, and as the posted says they would appreciate a lot if another AWB like the 1994 Crime Bill passed. Of course, this would be a gamble, as such a Federal ban would more likely look like the current CA law - no transfers/sales, even by inheritance.

Guns are a risky investment due to the vaguaries of Federal legislation. For my part, I am buying for my own collection unless/until a new ban becomes clear, at which time it may make sense to buy for investment purposes. Even then, it would be a throw of the dice.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a good friend who is a Class III dealer and manufacturer. In the last several years they have had a large group of Doctors buying all kinds of fun toys as "investments". Custom Barret .50 are a favorite. And I think that most of increase in value will be in the class III stuff but you never know.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Since there is no way of predicting WHAT shape future laws might take, it's not really possible to answer the question.

If a nation-wide ban, like the one in California for instance, were instituted, that allowed people to keep the EBRs they had, but banned any buying and selling of EBRs - then the value of all the hoarded rifles drops to zero.  On the flip side, a law similar to the AWB certainly might increase values of any hoarded stock.

My point is that without know which one it is, and what the likelihood of either is, it's impossible to say one way or the other.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a good friend who is a Class III dealer and manufacturer. In the last several years they have had a large group of Doctors buying all kinds of fun toys as "investments". Custom Barret .50 are a favorite. And I think that most of increase in value will be in the class III stuff but you never know.

That's bad news.  Doctor investments notoriously turn to shit.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top